GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can't stop, won't stop - finally my build

Navi

Autocross Champion
Update:

Finally have both seats reupholstered but waiting on some clips from recaro. I need the clips to pull the seats tighter. They should be in next week. The aftermarket leather and alcantara are thicker than what recaro sells their seats with so the aftermarket seats require extra clips to keep them tight. At the moment they keep sliding out of the frame creating the slightly bunching that you see in the pics. Otherwise I'm really happy with how they came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion
This is amazing! Great build. Great products. Great commentary! Love it all.

HKT

Super interested in more details about your aftermarket replacement seat covers. Where'd you get them from and roughly how much did that run you?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Nice thread & build I finally took the time to check it out.

I wish I would’ve had the time/patience to finish my wrap. I’ll forever be paying for that since the wife likes to remind me how I wasted time/money on it then just peeled it off

Navi

Autocross Champion
Super interested in more details about your aftermarket replacement seat covers. Where'd you get them from and roughly how much did that run you?

Well I am running recaro sporster cs seats. The custom leather/alcantara seat covers were made by a guy called Recaro Max in Poland. He does aftermarket work for Recaro.

Nice thread & build I finally took the time to check it out.

I wish I would’ve had the time/patience to finish my wrap. I’ll forever be paying for that since the wife likes to remind me how I wasted time/money on it then just peeled it off

Yeah man it was a pain in the ass. Took a lot of patience. Most of it was figuring out how to dismantle the car. But worth it in the end because I've been saved from some nicks and scratches here and there. I throw boxes and luggage on the hood of my car with reckless abandon. The vinyl takes the abuse surprisingly well. Actually, it's kind of funny because I was going to change my car color to nardo gray. I have a full roll of the wrap already in my basement but then I decided against it last minute. I prefer the matte look and didn't want to spend the time to re wrap the whole car. Maybe this summer i will change the color.

Noktrnl

Beautiful car! I'm a new GTI owner and your car is my favorite that I've seen so far! I'm in the process of cleaning up my THULE cargo carrier to get ready for what I thought was going to be a re-painting, but with some input from StealthGTI, I'm leaning a bit more towards personally wrapping it.

I've put on many vinyl stickers but never one that could potentially wrap me up in a burrito! Any advice, tips, tricks or suggestions that you could offer me before I attempt the wrap? Your color is on the top of our list and seeing as you did your whole car beautifully, I would appreciate any knowledge you could pass down. Thank you and I look forward to your future updates in your journal!

Avery matte khaki green

Navi

Autocross Champion
Thanks. I replied in your thread. It is definitely a big project to take in but so worth it to wrap the car. Not worrying about having to polish and wax the car all the time is a plus as well.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Couple updates:

Got some liquid stuff. Part of me thinks I just like collecting tools and in love with the build process rather than the car lol. Either way... and Honda bond is the shitttt. I will definitely be using it for various projects on the VW.

Also swapped the track mid pipe to the touring mid pipe on the awe exhaust. Love it. Before, drone was giving me a headache even though I liked the sound. The touring resonator tames it. The volume almost seems the same to me but the drone has been cut down a significant amount. My wife noticed right away when she asked me a question in the car and I immediately answered. She was like yeah it's def quieter in here. I was like how do you know? Her response: "because I didn't have to repeat myself and you answered right away." I might have to put the track pipe back in...

Chris helped me and provided some hospitality for letting me use his garage. Thanks homie.

His car:

Some other random stuff:

I recommend this interior detailer. I used to use 1z cockpit premium exclusively but seems they were bought by some other company and the name changed as well as the formulation. At least I've heard the formulation is a little different. Not sure. Either way I started trying our Griot's stuff and have liked everything they offer. Especially their towels.

Needed a new jack also. My Craftsman jack from 12 years ago still works but is showing some age. I'm a little skeptical about harbor freight but for the price and warranty, everything else I liked was triple the price so I figure I'll try it and see what happens. Reviews on it seem decent. Fingers crossed.

Also, my 12 years old Craftsman creeper took a shit. I got it wet too many times and the cardboard deteriorated on it: now it sags. I'll probably fix it in the future but I still wanted something better that was water/chemical resistant. I realized I have not owned any pliers for some weird reason so got those as well. Lastly, I have been having issues with my rear brake calipers and sway bar end links because they both have nuts you need to hold in between the rubber boots to remove the bolt. All my wrenches are too thick and I'm always worried I'll ruin the rubber boots. Surprisingly they make wrenches that are perfect for that. Very happy with these thin, low profile wrenches. The quality seems real nice. Can't wait to try them out.

Last edited:

Square1

Go Kart Champion
I finally had the time to read this. Wow. You are one dedicated man. Nice work.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk