GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Prototype Turbo Results

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Ed, i just recently received my turbo looks great! packaged perfectly as well. had a question about the wastegate. i do not know much about turbos, but noticed that when it is closed (metal to metal seal) the actual metal round "door" that closes has play in it and will rattle. meaning, when the arm moves so the wastegate is asked to be opened, the first few mm's are loose, after those few mm's the round "door" will then move. was thinking it needs a split spacer or something in between so that there is not rattle and no play. I dont think there should be ANY play in that wastegate "door" to arm movements. any suggestions? thanks..

italynstylion

Ready to race!
Ed, i just recently received my turbo looks great! packaged perfectly as well. had a question about the wastegate. i do not know much about turbos, but noticed that when it is closed (metal to metal seal) the actual metal round "door" that closes has play in it and will rattle. meaning, when the arm moves so the wastegate is asked to be opened, the first few mm's are loose, after those few mm's the round "door" will then move. was thinking it needs a split spacer or something in between so that there is not rattle and no play. I dont think there should be ANY play in that wastegate "door" to arm movements. any suggestions? thanks..

I asked the same question a few pages back (no I don't expect you to read every page of this thread) and Ed said that's normal. I was concerned too but it's supposed to be that way he said.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
I asked the same question a few pages back (no I don't expect you to read every page of this thread) and Ed said that's normal. I was concerned too but it's supposed to be that way he said.

sorry must have missed it. probably didn't pay enough attention or even knew anything since i didn't have the turbo in my hands. ok then if he thinks it's ok. i don't think it should be that way though. then small fractions of an actuator arm would not produce a perfect corresponding desired movement of the door. i will look for your post. thanks.

edit: yes i see Ed's response:
Yes the disk should have some wiggle and spin to it.

-- Ed

very odd. spin ok. amount of wiggle on mine seems alot. i guess i'm being a bit picky :)

Last edited:

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
sorry must have missed it. probably didn't pay enough attention or even knew anything since i didn't have the turbo in my hands. ok then if he thinks it's ok. i don't think it should be that way though. then small fractions of an actuator arm would not produce a perfect corresponding desired movement of the door. i will look for your post. thanks.

edit: yes i see Ed's response:
Yes the disk should have some wiggle and spin to it.

-- Ed

very odd. spin ok. amount of wiggle on mine seems alot. i guess i'm being a bit picky :)

There shouldn’t be a ton of play and when it’s fully closed it shouldn’t rattle or anything like that. Not sure exactly what you mean.

— Ed

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
There shouldn’t be a ton of play and when it’s fully closed it shouldn’t rattle or anything like that. Not sure exactly what you mean.

— Ed

Ed, I do not mean when it is fully closed. I mean when the actuator asks for the door to open, there is a few mm of travel before the actual door will open. but looking at the vid i can see that there is going to be exhaust pressure pressing up on that door which will be pushing up against the door from the exhaust side rendering what i am talking about not important. I think it's ok. sorry for the confusion. i am all new to this stuff!

Thanks for that vid!

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ed, I do not mean when it is fully closed. I mean when the actuator asks for the door to open, there is a few mm of travel before the actual door will open. but looking at the vid i can see that there is going to be exhaust pressure pressing up on that door which will be pushing up against the door from the exhaust side rendering what i am talking about not important. I think it's ok. sorry for the confusion. i am all new to this stuff!

Thanks for that vid!

Yea as soon as there is no pressure closing the door, exhaust pressure will do its thing. No worries there.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Hey guys, a little update. I spoke with the manufacturer last night. Unfortunately, there was a delay in the production of the compressor housings for this batch of turbos. This means they are missing their shipping mark, but are assuring me that the turbos will be here by the end of January. This is no fun for any of us, but we have no choice but to wait for the product. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and I'll keep you guys updated if anything else comes up.

Thanks
-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I just had one of our early Vortex customers come in to upgrade to our DSG tune. He was running an APR DSG tune previously because Cobb hadn’t released support when we did his install and tune.

I installed the DSG tune and the customer was curious about 0-60 and 1/4 times. I was going to test drive the car anyway, so I grabbed my draggy to see what it would do.

This is a 2015 Golf R with the basic intake/downpipe/intercooler along with our Vortex turbo and HPFP. It’s tuned on Cali 91 octane and primarily used for road course, so the tune is not aggressive. The car is on stock Bridgestone tires, and is full weight plus some junk in the trunk ?. I wasn’t going for any records, so I only did one run with an easy launch at 3400rpm.

Very happy with the results, especially considering it’s a full trim street car, stock tires, crap gas, and sub-optimal street surface conditions.

Attachments

• 50301935_2354365741281164_2487572764953673728_n.jpg
    50301935_2354365741281164_2487572764953673728_n.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 375
  • 50082515_2354365724614499_9018582124961202176_n.jpg
    50082515_2354365724614499_9018582124961202176_n.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 373

Ohlawd

Passed Driver's Ed
I just had one of our early Vortex customers come in to upgrade to our DSG tune. He was running an APR DSG tune previously because Cobb hadn’t released support when we did his install and tune.

I installed the DSG tune and the customer was curious about 0-60 and 1/4 times. I was going to test drive the car anyway, so I grabbed my draggy to see what it would do.

This is a 2015 Golf R with the basic intake/downpipe/intercooler along with our Vortex turbo and HPFP. It’s tuned on Cali 91 octane and primarily used for road course, so the tune is not aggressive. The car is on stock Bridgestone tires, and is full weight plus some junk in the trunk [emoji6]. I wasn’t going for any records, so I only did one run with an easy launch at 3400rpm.

Very happy with the results, especially considering it’s a full trim street car, stock tires, crap gas, and sub-optimal street surface conditions.

10s or bust!! [emoji854]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
10s or bust!! [emoji854]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10's are coming as soon as the weather cooperates out here! This car is making about 100whp less than mine :D

-- Ed

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
10's are coming as soon as the weather cooperates out here! This car is making about 100whp less than mine :D

-- Ed

That was supposed to be my record, demz be fightin words. :D

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Better get on it!

Yeah, what he said!

I doubt it makes sense but I'd love for Fred to offer a UM tune that is for stock fueling (or stock + LPFP) without the MPI active. It's a bigger chunk of change to do MPI and the turbo all at once, even though it's worth it in the long run.