GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB DSG tune

spelk3

Ready to race!
Car(s)
‘17 BMW xDrive35i
I’m running the sport dsg map. I’ve noticed it tends to hunt for the correct gear in D at around 30 mph. Same thing in S around 40 mph.

Waiting for a fix from COBB to get the gear display back.

Kip2MyLou

Ready to race!
Just got my AP today and went to install and the ecu was fine but my dsg isn't supported at this time. Called Cobb and they said they're working on my dsg coding and it should be out next week. Just have to baby stage 2 for a week. Ha.

MysticGTI

Just got my AP today and went to install and the ecu was fine but my dsg isn't supported at this time. Called Cobb and they said they're working on my dsg coding and it should be out next week. Just have to baby stage 2 for a week. Ha.

I'm running Stage 2 without the DSG tune and have no problems :) Still going to get the DSG tune, but just saying :)

Both of you are running stage 2, right? What are your hardware mods?

I have stock '17 sport DSG and debating on whether or not to go directly to "stage 2" cobb/protune (strat or 5150). I originally told myself I would do stage 1 (stock) first and then upgrade in the future. But then I would have to spend more for further protuning. Just curious as to what the parts and costs are for going stage 2.

Also, what would be the expected gains between stage 1 and stage 2 with the cobb protune.

I think he does pretty good for just one guy who Etunes as a side gig... Stop expecting big box company service/pricing from a mom and pop shop, then you won't be let down.

Also get back on topic, this isn't the "5150 should stop selling tunes for awhile" thread in GD.

COBB recently dropped their DSG tune and there are only like 4 reviews about it so far. I want to read a review that is well written by someone who actually knows something about cars, and that makes me want to void my warranty. Chop chop, lets see it!

Wrath & Tears - Sorry for getting off topic (again). I promise you I'll post a DSG tune review as soon as I get it!

Kip2MyLou

Ready to race!
I just bought an unitronic down pipe during their sale and that's all I have installed. I just ordered unitronics turbo inlet pipe and 034s intake (not necessary, I know, but I wanted it. Haha)

And stage 1 is the big jump for our cars. You won't see that much gain going from 1 to 2 but the mid range and top end get better due to the addition of the down pipe. I went straight to stage 2 mainly because of unitronics sale, not going to lie. I would have in the future anyway but the sale just pushed me over the edge. Ha.

I just drove to work with ots stage 2 map and it's a pretty big difference from stage obviously. The mid range just pulls where the stock set up just kinda slowly gets up there. Now I don't have the dsg tune because like I said earlier they're still working on my dsg model but if Cobb's ots maps are supposed to be the most conservative, and it's that much of difference, I can't wait for a protune.

Last edited:

MysticGTI

I just bought an unitronic down pipe during their sale and that's all I have installed. I just ordered unitronics turbo inlet pipe and 034s intake (not necessary, I know, but I wanted it. Haha)

And stage 1 is the big jump for our cars. You won't see that much gain going from 1 to 2 but the mid range and top end get better due to the addition of the down pipe. I went straight to stage 2 mainly because of unitronics sale, not going to lie. I would have in the future anyway but the sale just pushed me over the edge. Ha.

Oh that's right. I remember you stating this in another post by you. Didn't you get the full fancy turboback or something??

Also, do you happen to know the actual numbers (hp, tq) for stage 1 to 2 (with downpipe)? I know I tried looking for this all over, but haven't been able to lock down an answer yet. Perhaps because most folks are reporting different octanes between 1 and 2.

Kip2MyLou

Ready to race!
Yeah I got the full turboback but the exhaust doesn't fit 2018s so I had to send back the cat back and keep the down pipe which is the most important part anyway.

And there's a thread on here some one of people posting numbers, forgot the name of it. But it's not a huge a difference from other dynos I'm seeing, maybe 15 to 20 horses and the same torque. It's more of just the power being more available throughout the power band.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Wrath & Tears - Sorry for getting off topic (again). I promise you I'll post a DSG tune review as soon as I get it!

No worries, I'm no boss, and most people don't listen to me. Excited to read your thoughts on the tune when you get it. Talking about and comparing to other companies is also great and not too off-topic, but having a conversation about the owner of another company which has little to do with the thread topic seemed over the top. That is all I meant by my original post. Then in an attempt to get it back on topic.... I messed it up even further with a misunderstanding. I suck.

MKVIISpec

Ready to race!
I’m running the sport dsg map. I’ve noticed it tends to hunt for the correct gear in D at around 30 mph. Same thing in S around 40 mph.

So, to kind of piggy back off of this; I have relegated myself to using manual mode for 95% of my morning/evening rush hour commute that I endure (45-60 minutes each way). With the revised D mode that COBB has put together, it’s fantastic for normal driving circumstances, as well as spirited driving. However, if you drive in pure rush hour traffic, it is incredibly frustrating. It’s clearly not suited for this type of driving, as it’s constantly bouncing all over the place. Now, take this with a grain of salt, because these are not ideal driving circumstances as it is. The software is not written for rush hour commuting (obviously). I just wanted to make mention of this so that if anyone has similar commutes, they are aware. Since the D mode is what most people would causally drive in, it is now in fact, quite difficult to endure in rush hour traffic.

All that being said, I’ve been using manual mode a lot this week. Manual mode will still down shift for you (as to not allow the car to stall). I have not experienced any auto upshifts, ever. I have even revved it out to ~7k and it just bounced off the limiter (I don’t advise this, it was for science [emoji6]). I’ve found myself really enjoying driving in manual. Shifts are crisp, haven’t had anything weird happen, or any odd delays in response/shifting.

Still VERY happy with this purchase. I’ll be doing some additional logging in the coming days, I’ll report back if I notice/see anything of interest. [emoji482]

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
^ Thanks for the awesome review of COBB tuned manual mode. I find stock D to be perfect for the situations when I want to use it. Stock S is.... okay when pushing the car when I don't want to think about manual shifting, but there is room for improvement. I drive in manual mode about 99% of the time, so what most people tune the DSG for has no interest to me.

Before tuning did you ever put the DSG into S before going into manual mode? This makes the TCU logic use S settings instead of D settings. This results in a much crisper shift, even with low throttle input. For the reviews I have read, it seems like the tune makes it crisp no matter the throttle input. Is that your experience?

Edit: Also STFU, just because you were 100% right before and I should have just asked for someone to review manual mode changes, doesn't mean you get to be all high and mighty. I just didn't realize I had a question. Or maybe I did, but I didn't know how to phrase it without sounding silly. /angrilyshakefist

Honestly, thanks!

MKVIISpec

Ready to race!
Before tuning did you ever put the DSG into S before going into manual mode?

When my car was stock (ECU/TCU/Modifications) I never went from S, into manual; so I can’t comment on that end. After ECU tuning and supporting modifications, I did it all the time.

The responsiveness of the shifts in manual mode (COBB tuned TCU) definitely seems better than S-manual (stock TCU). I have no proof of this, this is merely my perception. For instance, now when I upshift in manual (~3k rpm) there is a noticeable (almost aggressive/forceful) engagement of the clutch, followed by an exhaust pop (this is with light/medium) throttle. The feeling is hard to describe (it never occurred/was experienced prior to the TCU upgrade). It is not something that makes me concerned either, it feels right. Again, hard to explain. Revving the gears out and shifting, also yields that more aggressive shift/engagement of the clutches. It’s a truly fantastic improvement (for me) over the stock TCU.

Bear in mind, all of this is YMMV. I’m running the IS38 TCU file, with my accompanying modifications. This may be the same experience others are having on the IS20 files, I just can’t speak to it.

MKVIISpec

Ready to race!
Edit: Also STFU, just because you were 100% right before and I should have just asked for someone to review manual mode changes, doesn't mean you get to be all high and mighty. I just didn't realize I had a question. Or maybe I did, but I didn't know how to phrase it without sounding silly. /angrilyshakefist

Honestly, thanks!

Haha no worries man. [emoji482]

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Bear in mind, all of this is YMMV. I’m running the IS38 TCU file, with my accompanying modifications. This may be the same experience others are having on the IS20 files, I just can’t speak to it.

Running the Sport profile here and my experience has been very similar.

Only thing I would add is if I was in stop and go traffic a lot I think D would be a bit annoying as it’s trying its damndest to get you up to speed. Unlike before where is lazily putted through the gears. Thankfully this isn’t an issue for me in my commute most days.

Another note that isn’t unsurprising is my normally commute lost about 1.5mpg is D mode due to its higher rpm targets. This again isn’t a problem for me and the enjoyment I get is well worth it but someone might care. Then again it’s Cobb so just flip it back to stock like settings when ever you want.