GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drain Plug

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I also am an oil extractor user here, works great!

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll stick with doing it the way in which V.W. advise. It is the blood of your car at the end of the day... On my car, a MK7 GTD (and for all CR diesel engines too if I recall correctly), the oil filter housing is on the bottom of the engine (unlike the TSI engines which have a top side mounted oil filter housing) so you have to get under there anyway, remove the plastic noise insulation/engine cover and drain the filter housing and then remove and replace the filter. To pull the sump plug and let the oil drain from the sump after doing all that is actually probably less hassle at that stage than using an extractor. I usually let the sump plug go and by the time I've done my filter it has fully drained and the new ;) sump plug goes in and then just the refilling to be done with new oil.

Last edited:

Nappy216

Ready to race!
Guess I'm old school. I use the traditional drain method. I like to get under the car and look around once in a while. I replace the plastic plug every time since they are cheap.

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
Normal drainer here, and I have alternated between 2 plugs for 36K without any leaks what so ever. I purchased 2 new plugs to last me another 36K. I change my oil ever 6500 - 7000 miles.
I will probably move to extraction in the near future as it really does make left SOOOOO much easier. Raising the car on coilovers is a PITA.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
I'll stick with doing it the way in which V.W. advise. It is the blood of your car at the end of the day... On my car, a MK7 GTD (and for all CR diesel engines too if I recall correctly), the oil filter housing is on the bottom of the engine (unlike the TSI engines which have a top side mounted oil filter housing) so you have to get under there anyway, remove the plastic noise insulation/engine cover and drain the filter housing and then remove and replace the filter. To pull the sump plug and let the oil drain from the sump after doing all that is actually probably less hassle at that stage than using an extractor. I usually let the sump plug go and by the time I've done my filter it has fully drained and the new ;) sump plug goes in and then just the refilling to be done with new oil.

Guess I'm old school. I use the traditional drain method. I like to get under the car and look around once in a while. I replace the plastic plug every time since they are cheap.

Agree with both. The last part is underestimated "..get under the car and look around once in a while. "
Very good habit!

Last week I did an oil change on our Audi A4. During remove of the oil plug i detected an oil leak from cam shaft /valve cover gasket which I couldn't see from above. Replaced the gasket later after deeper investigation :).

/Peter

Last edited:

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
That's funny! I am under my car so often I welcome doing my oil changes from the top.

Amen.

FWIW, been doing extraction changes for almost 20 years and never had any issues. Several oil analysis and none have showed anything out of the ordinary on any of my cars. Always extract first change and then open drain plug. Lost count how many have had zero oil come out after extraction.

And if you have sludging issues, regular drain method won't do anything more for you than sucking it out the dipstick tube. Ever seen oil pans that are solid muck except for a tiny channel right to the drain plug? Thats where the oil flows out and leaves all the other crap behind.

Either way, getting the oil up to operating temp will generally keep most nonsense in suspension and allow it to flow out the drain hole or up the dipstick tube. I just prefer to be on top ;).