GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stopping water and dirt gathering on rear bumper

mawallace

Ready to race!
I noticed what I think is a design fault.

at work there we have three of us with VW Golf Mk7. We have the same issue.

when it's wet it seems that water gathers on the top of the rear bumper - it often has dirt in it - and when it dries it leaves a dirty mark.

does anyone have an answer as to how to solve this? It's annoying - I washed and waxed car - then it rained - and within a couple of hours the dirty mark was back!

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
It's a hatchback thing unfortunately. Rear splash guards won't help either I did that experiment on my 2012 TDI. Focuses collect crap there too. Our butts are too flat. I lived in the sticks and I could wash my car, drive ten minutes, and the rear would be covered in dust just like that. I would waterless wash it daily to keep up.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
It's a flat top rear bumper. My 4Runner does it too.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Wish there was a way but I never found one. As you stated, waxing does very little. I tried sealant, no improvement. I looked into a larger spoiler, but no one reported improvement.

And it's the rear window and hatch too area too. If it's any consolation, regular sedans have this issue too.

I tired one of those car dusters that look like this. Not this one but the same "spaghetti" design (I believe the material is microfiber) and it seems to work without scratching. That's the best "solution" I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Das...F8&qid=1493681743&sr=1-15&keywords=car+duster

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Only solution is to leave it in the garage and take the bus, lol. Hatches are definitely worse than sedans in this regard. Use it as an excuse to wash it often :)

SRoads

Ready to race!
Wish there was a way but I never found one. As you stated, waxing does very little. I tried sealant, no improvement. I looked into a larger spoiler, but no one reported improvement.

And it's the rear window and hatch too area too. If it's any consolation, regular sedans have this issue too.

I tired one of those car dusters that look like this. Not this one but the same "spaghetti" design (I believe the material is microfiber) and it seems to work without scratching. That's the best "solution" I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Das...F8&qid=1493681743&sr=1-15&keywords=car+duster

Resist the temptation to dust. You are much better just waiting until you can properly wash the car, but if you have to, buy some Optimum No Rinse and use that with a quality microfiber. Don't ever dry dust the paint, even with the softest microfiber.

Jersey UG MKV

Plastidipping Fool
I am going to put a ceramic coating on that area and hope it repels better. Drives me nuts!