GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch upgrade

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
If you do it early enough, I think you could get away with keeping the stock DMFW without replacing it. There is one guy on the TTRS clutch thread who kept his stock disc and only replaced the pressure plate (our only real weak component). So far it's holding well but too early for long term tests.

If I was to do it on even a year old clutch (10k+ miles or so) I'd replace the DMFW. Regardless, I would upgrade to the iABED RMS while doing it as well. This replaces the stock RMS with a reinforced piece.

Until I hear a SBD3 in person, my plan is an SRE. I'll be replacing my DMFW, ToB and RMS at the same time. Only 11k on the car but I don't want to have to pull the tranny again. I'd love to go SMFW but worry about the chatter lol. I don't mind, but the wife might ;)

Why SRE over RSR? And why would you replace DMFW with a year old mild use and no slipping ? Where do you get upgraded RMS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
If you do it early enough, I think you could get away with keeping the stock DMFW without replacing it. There is one guy on the TTRS clutch thread who kept his stock disc and only replaced the pressure plate (our only real weak component). So far it's holding well but too early for long term tests.

If I was to do it on even a year old clutch (10k+ miles or so) I'd replace the DMFW. Regardless, I would upgrade to the iABED RMS while doing it as well. This replaces the stock RMS with a reinforced piece.

Until I hear a SBD3 in person, my plan is an SRE. I'll be replacing my DMFW, ToB and RMS at the same time. Only 11k on the car but I don't want to have to pull the tranny again. I'd love to go SMFW but worry about the chatter lol. I don't mind, but the wife might ;)

Where are you going to get your DMFW and TOB from? VW? I'm building my parts list as we discuss this. Thanks for your help with this 0bLiViOuS. Much appreciated.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
So what does one really need to do to ensure they only replace the clutch once. Replace all parts?

The SRE is only a clutch cover and reinforced clutch disc.

Seems like South Bend Daily 3, RSR, and 6GT are the only 'full' replacement options being talked about....SBD3 is SMF though.

I ask because I'm in the market for a new clutch and I want to do it sooner then later as my car currently only has 700 miles on it. It's not slipping and my car is completely stock by if I don't want to have to replace my DMSW as well so I would rather do the clutch now and retain my OEM DMF if I can. Opinion? Suggestions?

You won't know if you need a DMF until you remove the clutch and inspect it. Some replace the DMF for peace of mind, some do not. I did not replace mine when I did my clutch at 10,7xx miles, it looked brand new and checked out fine. The SRE clutch kit has a stronger disc, but more importantly it has a much higher clamping pressure plate.

Why SRE over RSR? And why would you replace DMFW with a year old mild use and no slipping ? Where do you get upgraded RMS?

SRE has been proven over and over in the MK6 community for both fitment and longevity.

Where are you going to get your DMFW and TOB from? VW? I'm building my parts list as we discuss this. Thanks for your help with this 0bLiViOuS. Much appreciated.

Depending on what TOB you choose, there are several places you can source it from. The OEM VW TOB specifically for the MK7 you'd just have to shop around between all the vendors. If you want to go a difference route, you can purchase a Luk TOB that fits the MK6 and MK7, but it does not have the plastic ring on the bearing which can cause some chatter, but its $30 on Rockauto. ;)

I think I found a place that has a DMF for $520, but I'd need to try and find that again.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
To piggy back off of Russiankid, i also got the TOB from RockAuto for $30 and did not notice any extra noise, so money well saved.

Also i have the DIY TT-RS kit that will run you around $550. Low mile son it now so i will not provide any sort of review for it yet, just letting you know it is another option.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Yep and to chime in on the above two:

I plan on not doing my clutch until it slips. I have the luxury of having other cars to drive if it's really bad so I'm going to push it to its limit and by then, the DMFW will need to be replaced. When the time comes, I'll just search online for the cheapest OEM one I can find. I may get the Sach's ToB or OEM or RockAuto... Haven't decided.

Sachs and RSR are very similar kits all based on the TTRS pressure plate (which is the weak part). Sachs I think conservatively rates theirs.

For part numbers, check out the TTRS thread. I think the first post has them all. If you don't want to upgrade the RMS, you can add the 2 extra bolts on the stock one which VW decided was not needed. There is an old thread with the measurements of the bolts, but I'd have to search for it.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Yep and to chime in on the above two:

I plan on not doing my clutch until it slips. I have the luxury of having other cars to drive if it's really bad so I'm going to push it to its limit and by then, the DMFW will need to be replaced. When the time comes, I'll just search online for the cheapest OEM one I can find. I may get the Sach's ToB or OEM or RockAuto... Haven't decided.

Sachs and RSR are very similar kits all based on the TTRS pressure plate (which is the weak part). Sachs I think conservatively rates theirs.

For part numbers, check out the TTRS thread. I think the first post has them all. If you don't want to upgrade the RMS, you can add the 2 extra bolts on the stock one which VW decided was not needed. There is an old thread with the measurements of the bolts, but I'd have to search for it.

No way I'm going to do a clutch without replacing the RMS especially since it's under $200. Lots of info here.

0bLiViOuS what are you running on your car? Are you tuned? If so, with what?

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
No way I'm going to do a clutch without replacing the RMS especially since it's under $200. Lots of info here.

0bLiViOuS what are you running on your car? Are you tuned? If so, with what?

I'm FBO with JB4. Soon to be IS38 by the end of February (waiting on turbo to arrive and find time)! That's right, I'm the crazy one going IS38 on the stock clutch :D

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I'm FBO with JB4. Soon to be IS38 by the end of February (waiting on turbo to arrive and find time)! That's right, I'm the crazy one going IS38 on the stock clutch :D

LMAO, I forgot you're the guy who drives like a Grandma. That's ok, I do as well. Back roads are my thing as are on ramps and Clover Leaf off ramps. :D

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
You guys doing this install yourselves? Has anyone done it on a PP enabled car? Difficult?