GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R or GTI Autobahn??

Proxima2

Ready to race!
Hey all,
I am a long time Vdub owner going back to my first air cooled bug.
Currently, I am driving a 2001 1.8 turbo beetle that runs like a champ and has been well cared for....I treat my babies right!
Anyhow, my daughter wants my bug as she turns 16, so its time for an upgrade for me.:D:D
I am torn between a 2018 GTI Autobahn or a Golf R...both with manual trannies. This car will be used to commute to work and tool around town.

I am posing this to Golf R owners who have experience with both the GTI and Golf R.
Is the Golf R worth the extra cash or not? Whats your reasoning?
Thanks in advance.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Welcome to the forum.

I went through the same thought process when i bought my Autobahn and can chip in my thoughts even though i have not owned a R. GTI is less heavier, nimble, a lot playful and can be easily thrown around. With better tires (stock tires were useless), I had zero traction issues with a GTI during my day to day sprinted drives. Considering the incentives at that time, the price difference was around $10k and i could not justify the premium for an R. I am sure that you are going to get the exact opposite reply from a person who owns a R. Its a matter of choice and you cant go wrong with either of those options.

Finally, this topic has been beaten to death several times and a search should bring up a lot of similar discussions.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I am posing this to Golf R owners who have experience with both the GTI and Golf R.
Thanks in advance.

I test drove an Autobahn and a R. I think the AWD, engine modifications and extra horsepower, subtle exterior styling differences and exclusivity make it worth the premium.

I had zero traction issues with a GTI during my day to day sprinted drives.

No offense, but I have a hard time believing this. The Autobahn I drove was wheelspin city. No way you make a right-on-red into a tight gap in 55 mph traffic, or get on the car hard from a stop in the rain and not have traction issues.

Finally, this topic has been beaten to death several times and a search should bring up a lot of similar discussions.

+1

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I went from a 2012 GTI to a 2016 R, both with a manual.

The GTI is, indeed, lighter, more flingable, and IMO more fun. But, the R is more stable, nearly unflappable in nearly any road conditions (with proper tires, especially in the winter, which is key up here in Frozen Yankeeland, where today it was 11 degrees and we have a big snowstorm coming in tonight). The R is also heavier, and can sometimes actually feel a bit ponderous until you get it going (subjective of course). But it imparts a sense of solidity and confidence that is pretty damn amazing.

I had to muck with the shifting (Dieselgeek Sigma Six short shift kit) to really get it where I wanted it in terms of the manual transmission, but once that was done, it's rather good in that respect.

If it was me, I'd either go for the SE GTI or the R; the Autobahn seems to sit in an odd place in terms of price/value. A GTI as a lower (not low really) cost sporty hatchback in SE trim is a good value. An R, because it goes like a scalded dog and sticks like white on rice, is a good value. The Autobahn...eh. I'd rather get a Type R for that money.

hakwuzhere

Passed Driver's Ed
I thought about that for a few minutes while making my decision... and my fear was that I would always be kicking myself because I shoulda woulda gotten the faster car...

Rodcollier1

Ready to race!
I would have a look at the resale value of a 2 or 3 year old GTI Autobahn vs a Golf R, so you also include the cost of ownership.

My wife has a GTI Sport, I have an R, my daughter a Turbo Beetle, and my son a R32. I love to drive each one of them for what they are, and what they do so well for their price.

My wife’s GTI Sport wheel spin on launch take off is terrible. Can’t wait for the crappy Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season tires to wear out enough so I can justify buying some Michelin’s to see if it can be fixed.

'16 MK7 R Manual
Uni Stage 2 & BCS Exhaust

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
No offense, but I have a hard time believing this. The Autobahn I drove was wheelspin city. No way you make a right-on-red into a tight gap in 55 mph traffic, or get on the car hard from a stop in the rain and not have traction issues.

I think we pretty much had a similar discussion in another thread as well.

Everyone is entitled to share their views and again based on my personal experience, GTI with updated tires was more than enough for my day to day sprinted driving. Better tires changes the whole dynamics (as mentioned in my initial post) and this has been echoed by several people here as well. Your personal experience can be totally different and i dont doubt it. On a side note, I do drive different vehicles on a regular basis for living as an automotive test engineer.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Thanks in advance.

I owned the 16' GTI Autobahn DSG while I had my 17' Golf-R MT both title in hand. Yes, Golf-R is absolutely worth the extra $. AWD system.

And being a MT driver, I was not very impressed with the DSG even if it can churn better time. I sold the GTI earlier this summer.

Hope this helps.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Buy the GTI, put $10k cash in the glovebox before you drive off the lot OR
Buy the R cause after you get the GTI home you’ll wish you had.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
The GTI is a very fun and practical daily driver, especially with the 6 speed manual. The R is like your bigger brother that holds you down and farts on your face.

A lot of local guys switched to the R from a GTI. I've had thoughts, if only I had the money for it. I think if you plan on keeping it for a while, pay a little more and get the R :D

Buy the GTI, put $10k cash in the glovebox before you drive off the lot OR
Buy the R cause after you get the GTI home you’ll wish you had.

^ this

COSturmWolke

Ready to race!
Since you can afford to buy the R, there is NO reason to buy a GTI unless you can't live without a sunroof.

I’ve had a GTI autobahn and now own an ‘R’. Fed’s point is right on. For many reasons (many already noted), I never miss the GTI, but very intermittently still wish I had a sunroof. The traction I have with the R,even with a moderate ‘launch’, vs the GTI is significantly different. I loved having my R with pilot alpin tires on snowpacked roads last week - what a blast! I would never had said that about my GTI. I love this car!

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
Without incentives, the GTI Autobahn with all the bell and whistles worked out to be $4k cheaper OTD. That difference was worth the AWD and extra power for the R IMO. Add in tuning potential and a GTI has no chance. Plus, factor in depreciation and you got a winner with an R. Saying that, if I was on a tight budget, I would get the very bottom of the line GTI. Really can't beat that for value.