GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Noise on MKVI GTI Following TTRS Pressure Plate + Sachs Clutch Disc Install

maxwellheinrich

Hi,

I recently left my car with a seasoned VW mastertech this week to install a Wavetrac LSD and Audi TTRS clutch with a Sachs clutch disk (TTRS clutch disk splines do not fit). I asked when I left everything if the parts looked good, and he confirmed. He successfully got the LSD in with no problems, and then when he went to install the clutch he called me telling me flat out that this clutch would not work on the car. I told him the name of who posted the article (who my mechanic knows personally--and he immediately called him. He stated that he has done this job on 15+ cars and has never had an issue. My mechanic proceeded with the install trusting him who is also a seasoned VW/Audi mechanic and shop owner. Today my mechanic was supposed to drive the car to make sure it was all working well, and he informed me that the clutch is making noise (not chatter), but he's not sure what it is yet and is going to address it as soon as he can. Do you guys have any thoughts what this could be? Perhaps he didn't follow the tightening newton-meter specs correctly or the clutch wasn't properly aligned...but it's concerning and I want to know if there's anyone else out here that has done this mod and what their results were. It could possibly even be bearings, but I'm starting to get nervous because I think he will need to drop the transmission again and I'm not looking forward to the bill. I will post the article that has a thorough how-to on this job. Thanks for your help in advance.

https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/how-to-install-a-ttrs-clutch-on-a-mk7.html

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
"The clutch is making noise" is not a lot to go on..

What kind of noise, under what conditions and any other details would help diagnose.

Also it would probably be best if YOU could drive the car and experience the noise, rather than trust the 'seasoned VW mastertech' who couldn't tell all the pressure plate needs is 3 little holes enlarged to fit your car :rolleyes:

maxwellheinrich

"The clutch is making noise" is not a lot to go on..

What kind of noise, under what conditions and any other details would help diagnose.

Also it would probably be best if YOU could drive the car and experience the noise, rather than trust the 'seasoned VW mastertech' who couldn't tell all the pressure plate needs is 3 little holes enlarged to fit your car :rolleyes:

so i was able to take the car home today--he drove it for 15 miles and experienced (heard) exactly what I did, but he says he's sure its nothing to worry about. it sounds like a faint rattling noise when you're giving it gas. he hypothesized that it could be the motul transmission oil which is "thinner" than the oem oil, and perhaps the remedy is just break-in. since we upgraded to a wavetrac lsd and ttrs clutch at the same time, it's hard to narrow down which is making the noise, but he thinks it's just the gearbox or chatter. his initial concerns of the job were warranted because the pressure plate and sachs clutch do not have identical surface areas for their points of friction, which could potentially cause uneven wear and squeaking later when the two see wear. from an engineering standpoint, it does seem like an unorthodox upgrade opposed to a southbend option or something of the like. he and i are just unsure if some noise should be expected with the install, or if any noise is indicative of problems in the future.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Is there any change in noise if you press the clutch pedal? (as opposed to leaving it in neutral and your foot off the clutch)

Are there any other mods, things that could rattle? (DP, dogbone mount etc.)

Navi

Autocross Champion
he hypothesized that it could be the motul transmission oil which is "thinner" than the oem oil, and perhaps the remedy is just break-in.

not sure this is true. I've been told by a really good, reputable shop that the oem transmission fluid is thin like water and the recommend replacing with motul bc it is much thicker. I'm not sure about your mechanics statement.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Yeah, the gears shouldn't rattle even with Crisco oil in there.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I got the TTRS clutch but I’ve never heard anything coming from there. Maybe is the wave track making the noise.

maxwellheinrich

Is there any change in noise if you press the clutch pedal? (as opposed to leaving it in neutral and your foot off the clutch)

Are there any other mods, things that could rattle? (DP, dogbone mount etc.)

the noise has for the most part gone away, or become less noticeable from the cabin. i could/can hear it most when i'm giving it gas, and when you let off the gas but still at high revs. i don't think engaging the clutch amplified it when it was more pronounced, and it doesn't now. I think it was just the break-in period since it has either completely gone away or just become too quiet for me to hear.

thanks everyone for your input