GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Prototype Turbo Results

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
This was E36. There was still some headroom, but this is a convenient mix (5 gallons of E85, 9.5 Gallons E10). I think the system could support close to E50, but it might be pushing it a bit.

I'm going to experiment with higher ethanol mixes on my car to find the limit.

-- Ed

Shoot for e48. It's so convenient to do a 50/50 mix.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
This turbo has soooo much headroom

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ed,

What's your schedule look like for the second week of April? Talking with a buddy of mine about roadtripping it out to your shop to get the install and tune done instead :D

That would be a great idea. I think we're all open in April, but best to contact Patrick and schedule with him.

Thanks
-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Shoot for e48. It's so convenient to do a 50/50 mix.

I have E46 in my tank right now (7 gallons E85, 7.5 gallons E10). Currently I'm hitting a fueling wall around 6300RPM, but I still have some things to try and investigate to see if we can get it working.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
This turbo has soooo much headroom

It really does! I would love to see it on a built motor where I didn't have to worry about torque levels. I think it would be a torque monster with a ridiculous powerband.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Sooo, here's an example of how much hell I put my cars through during product and tuning testing. This is my subframe with a nice crack developing and the subframe/pendulum bushing starting to pull itself out of the subframe! I guess it didn't like all my track and street abuse along with all the extra power.

Oh well... time for an upgrade!

Thanks
-- Ed

radoroc

Ready to race!
It really does! I would love to see it on a built motor where I didn't have to worry about torque levels. I think it would be a torque monster with a ridiculous powerband.

-- Ed

Can the R handle more torque than the gti? I'm wondering how much stronger the R's internals are.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion

-- Ed

How much would a good motor build cost is the question?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Can the R handle more torque than the gti? I'm wondering how much stronger the R's internals are.

I generally treat them the same but I think the R does have different rods.

— Ed.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Doing some e-tuning with the EQT Vortex in this nice cold weather. This is a 3rd gear pull in a MT GTI... that's 28psi at 3000RPM! Boost is overshooting a little, but I think that's a new record for spool on this turbo :)

-- Ed

Attachments

• boost.jpg
    boost.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 257

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Ed,

Do you think the limitations of E4X are based on the Walbro pump? Would going with a more potent brushless pump like the one from Iroz make a difference?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ed,

Do you think the limitations of E4X are based on the Walbro pump? Would going with a more potent brushless pump like the one from Iroz make a difference?

Nope. We run the walbro 450 on full E85 to over 600whp on other applications. The ultimate limitation are the injectors at this point.

-- Ed

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I haven't done it on an R, done it a few times on GTIs.

It's definitely a doable DIY. If an intercooler is a 5/10, this is probably a 7/10.

I've been meaning to make a tips and tricks video...I'll try to do that tonight.

I understand both turbos can be tuned (by quite a few people) on either platform, but he already paid Ed to do the tuning.

If you don't need MPI or self tuning you're better off on Cobb anyway.

From the walk through on the golf is20 swap, this looks like ez cake to do.
Except the coolant.... god how I hate dealing with coolant.

I think I'm going to use my vacuum extractor I use for oil changes for it and just replace it with fresh coolant.

How hard are these cars to refill? Do we need to worry about burping the hoses or anything of the sort to get air trapped out, or are the engines pretty good about doing that on their own?