GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I’m crushed. Newly bought ‘16 GTI has same suspension noise as my ‘16 Golf

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Does your GTI have DCC? I’m in roughly the same weather conditions/temperature as you and never had this issue. I also have a 2016 w/ 33k miles on it. Almost 25k of those are with lowering springs.

Though I suspect something in my front passenger side is going bad lol. Making groaning noises at high speed left turns. Tech said it could be wheel bearing but we didn’t really check since we haven’t ruled out the possibility of rubbing at the time (have spacers). I’m back on stock wheels+stock tires w/o spacers and I still get the noise so I’ll be getting it inspected in the future.

morgan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
My cars are 100% stock. Pucks not in there.

Golf SE with 60K miles that stated developing noise since 30K miles.

GTI Autobahn has PP but not DCC, bought two weeks ago with 19K miles.

Maryland temp doesn’t go that low. In Seattle now so it is warmer.

I had the thought of getting an R and a e-Golf to complete a collection. Probably won’t do it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
My 2015 GTI makes similar noises, usually when turning into a steep driveway or going over small bumps. It's not as bad as the videos you posted but its a slight rubbery almost squeaking sound. But I could also see it being described as a creak. I assumed it was a normal sound the car made, caused by some rubber bushings in the suspension somewhere. I have also only noticed it when first driving the car before everything warms up.

morgan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
As all four corners make the same noise, can somebody tell what bushings are common to all of them? Maybe I start with replacing the lowest cost items.

I’m thinking sway bar bushings...

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
I have a wild idea. Try getting a lubricating compound called "Slick". It is a very slippery wet lubricant. Try spraying the bump stops under the rubber boots and see if it goes away. Also lubricate the sway bar bushes.

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
My 2015 GTI makes similar noises, usually when turning into a steep driveway or going over small bumps. It's not as bad as the videos you posted but its a slight rubbery almost squeaking sound. But I could also see it being described as a creak. I assumed it was a normal sound the car made, caused by some rubber bushings in the suspension somewhere. I have also only noticed it when first driving the car before everything warms up.

My GTI has the same exact issue when I was going over speed bumps and turning into driveways. It was really loud especially in the colder months. Replaced the driver side lower control arm and 90% went away and about 2-3 months later replaced passenger side front lower control arm and no more noise. All this was done under warranty below 36,000 miles.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
According to the poster of the video:

"UPDATE: problem SOLVED : -> parts used: 5Q0407183F + 5Q0407182 (by Lemforder) + G052150A2 OEM VW lythium grease -> Happy to report that the problem has been successfully solved late last night. I have replaced the control arms bushings and the car is 100% silent and feels like new. Have tried all the previous speed bumps that used to "upset" her and helped in the creation of the videos, and no problems have been encountered anymore. So, good happy news! Hope this helps!"

Those part numbers are rear mounts and bushings. Maybe start there?

morgan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
My GTI has the same exact issue when I was going over speed bumps and turning into driveways. It was really loud especially in the colder months. Replaced the driver side lower control arm and 90% went away and about 2-3 months later replaced passenger side front lower control arm and no more noise. All this was done under warranty below 36,000 miles.

Thanks N2fastcars for the valuable input. LCA and bushes too right?

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
I too had the annoying suspension creak at slow speeds over bumps. And as mentioned, it was fixed by replacing control arm bushings, along with applying lithium grease. I got VW to do this under warranty, so didn't cost me any $$.

Been a few months and no creaks so far.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1

That's interesting as I just had my front right lower control arm replaced and the sound is the same or worse if anything. Also I am not sure the sound is apparent enough to take it to the dealer.

gtwhy

Passed Driver's Ed
I've brought my GTI in twice for front end creaks. The first time they replaced the front swaybar endlinks, which didn't really help. The second time they said they couldn't replicate my complaint.

It typically occurs over uneven pavement, speed bumps, entering parking lots, etc. It's not very loud so I think I'll have to get a tech to ride along with me to point it out.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I've swapped out my suspension 3 times to get rid of a really loud, annoying rattle I had going over uneven pavement, manholes and cracks in the road.

It turned out to be the front brake pads on the driver's side rattling due to fucked carriers.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk