GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Isnt the is20 shaft shorter, been a long time since I've seen one,

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

It also doesn't have the nice big adjustment knob the IS38 has, which is one reason it's a huge PITA

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
It also doesn't have the nice big adjustment knob the IS38 has, which is one reason it's a huge PITA

For someone that will be swapping an IS20 out for the EQT turbo, would you recommend picking up an is38 wastegate before hand to ease install?

railroader

Autocross Newbie
For someone that will be swapping an IS20 out for the EQT turbo, would you recommend picking up an is38 wastegate before hand to ease install?
I dont think you need to, if you have the extra $150 bucks and are willing to essentially waste it on one for the sake of ease then sure go ahead, I'm to cheap to throw money away if I have something that will already work

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I dont think you need to, if you have the extra $150 bucks and are willing to essentially waste it on one for the sake of ease then sure go ahead, I'm to cheap to throw money away if I have something that will already work

I make too much money to burn 3-5 hours fiddling with a wastegate, when the easy solution is $150.

That being said, now knowing the process for the IS20 actuator, I could probably walk someone through it and have success in 45 minutes.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I make too much money to burn 3-5 hours fiddling with a wastegate, when the easy solution is $150.

That being said, now knowing the process for the IS20 actuator, I could probably walk someone through it and have success in 45 minutes.
Sorry baller lmao jk

Twist1

Autocross Newbie

Now that I think about it.. these companies should be paying you railroader Lol. You've indirectly sold hundreds of dkm clutches and dozens of turbos by being the guinea pig. Can't wait for my eqt. I'm glad I waited on both my turbo and clutch. If not I'd be sitting here with a broken dkm clutch and the tomioka.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
If someone is paying a shop to install the turbo, the $150 for the IS38 wastegate might be cheaper than the labor messing with the IS20 part.
True.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Now that I think about it.. these companies should be paying you railroader Lol. You've indirectly sold hundreds of dkm clutches and dozens of turbos by being the guinea pig. Can't wait for my eqt. I'm glad I waited on both my turbo and clutch. If not I'd be sitting here with a broken dkm clutch and the tomioka.
I want really the Guinea pig lol I was just one of the unfortunate ones to document all the issues with dkm through the whole process and still continue to help people with there issues with dkm, jay was one of the first with eqt and documented his install and issues he had first, I just shared my process and my results with the turbo which I feel is the best turbo on the market with the amount of capable power for the price we have available

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Jay and I just spent 5 hours trying to get the damn IS20 actuator working properly - not sure why mine is such a PITA but holy shit! Nice burn on my forearm too! Good news is we somehow got it to 3.7 something volts.....took it for a drive and holy shit it's fast....took a log all the way up 2nd and deep into third....will be sending to Ed for his thoughts once I find a damn computer that will let me use AP Manager....pump 92 will be fine, trust me!!

How come you didn't try adjusting voltage through obd11. You can actually monitor the voltage as you adjust the actuator without having to power cycle after each adjustment.

If someone is paying a shop to install the turbo, the $150 for the IS38 wastegate might be cheaper than the labor messing with the IS20 part.

I always thought wastegates couldn't be regularly had and needed to be purchased with actual turbo. Anyways, even with IS38 gate it will still need to be adjusted.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
How come you didn't try adjusting voltage through obd11. You can actually monitor the voltage as you adjust the actuator without having to power cycle after each adjustment.

I always thought wastegates couldn't be regularly had and needed to be purchased with actual turbo. Anyways, even with IS38 gate it will still need to be adjusted.

OBD11 was acting up for psychonosspaz, so we had to use my VCDS. The power cycle was needed in order to do the open/close test again - it would only do it once per session before throwing an "aborted for safety reasons" error.

With the voltage, due to the actuator not being fully open or closed at the end of the test, and resting in the 60%-ish state, the value fluctuated wildly when moving the rod and/or flapper elbow. It was impossible to hit a moving target like that. I was only aware of a target value of 3.5ish, which we couldn't hit until we ran the open/close test to verify the voltage at the 0%/closed state.

railroader

Autocross Newbie

You can get and use this one

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/263206429255