GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More than 1 Gti

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I went from a MK6 to a MK7.
The things that got me back are the same things that drew me in the first time.
Really nice all around performance in a package that's fuel efficient, has room enough for four, has tremendous cargo capacity, and front wheel drive when the roads get sloppy - all in a package that's of higher quality than the price would suggest.
I'll tell you that I went into the MK6 with some hesitation over VW's reputation for problems, but I had zero problems with my MK6 and so far zero problems with my MK7 which will be in my possession for four years come this January.
If I did have a slew of problems, I most likely would not have been a repeat customer.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Even though I never had one in my younger years a had a few buddies that had a few MK2's, 3's, 4's, 5's over the years and I loved them and so I finally bought my first brand new car...a MK6.
I would probably still have the 6 if it wasn't totaled
But when it was I did not even shop for another car. I went straight to the dealer and bought a MK7 that was exactly the same spec as my MK6.
I plan to keep the MK7 for at least another few years and then I will probably buy whatever MK# they are on at that point.
They are fun and practical all while having nicer finishes than some of the competition. It's a great combination.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
I had a MKIV prior. In no particular order:
Looks
Practicality
Fuel efficient
Manual
Great interior
Reliable
Fun

tknj99

Ready to race!
Same here.. MK6 APR tuned stage 1 with RSB and VWR springs to MK7 JB4, RSB.. as stated by others its a very hard package to beat, you simply cant get the same performance and utility for 25k new. Also, i didnt want to be that 40-something yo guy reliving his 20's in a muscle car or corvette-esque car.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Same here.. MK6 APR tuned stage 1 with RSB and VWR springs to MK7 JB4, RSB.. as stated by others its a very hard package to beat, you simply cant get the same performance and utility for 25k new. Also, i didnt want to be that 40-something yo guy reliving his 20's in a muscle car or corvette-esque car.

Many geezers who were enthusiasts buy a 'Vette. Too damn hard to get in and out of, which is why you see so many with low miles in Florida. I see a of old guys with Challengers now.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Fun factor, interior, hatch, DSG gearbox, aftermarket upgrades, practical (not in any particular order).

Very few vehicles offer better fun to price ratio than a GTI. I have owned several VAG vehicles in the past and i would rate GTI right at the top. I sold my GTI this year and looking forward to add another MK7.5 (not even going to consider any other vehicle) to my garage in a year or two.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Mk5 Rabbit => Mk6 GTI => Mk7 GTI => Mk7 R

All the same reasons that everyone else lists. I do shop other cars, but just keep coming back to this platform. It just checks off so many important boxes.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Still, no other carmaker makes a comparable car for the price. The closest I've seen is the CLA45 AMG for another $25K.