GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking For Quiet High Performance All Season Tires

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Cooper Zeon Rs3-g1 over here. Love them every second.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I guess you all know this is an old thread, which isn't bad if you have thousands of miles on the tires you're recommending. Tires that are quiet when relatively new can be a lot quieter than after you get 5,000 or more miles on them. And I've found roads that are a little rough from heavy trucks are not only loud, but give a uncomfortable ride even in comfort mode, unless you let a little air out out of tires. At least once they heat up.

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
"High Performance All-Season" is an oxymoron.

Agree with this.

I've just moved back to the USA after 12 years in Europe. In most of Europe, you do not find 'all seasons'. Most people have dedicated summers and winters.

That said, the P7s that came on my 2018 are pretty quiet and seem OK in daily driving (but I'll reserve judgement until they have just 30% life left in them).

In general, I'm a fan of Pirelli tires as they perform well when new and when the steel belts are showing after 30 K miles. I've been less impressed with Michelin tires on my BMWs as they tended to 'cup' and become loud after 12K miles.

For me, the winter tires shine not in the snow but when roads are wet and temps are below 40 degrees. And for the summers, it's all about emergency braking (look at the 70-0 brake distance tests from magazine who test normal GTIs versus GTIs w/ summer tires -- summer tires shave off 25 feet)

Last edited:

ebg18t

Ready to race!
If you want a great all around high performance all season the Michelin AS3+ is about the best you can get. I’ve tried the Continental DWS06 twice (hoped they changed) and both times I returned them under the 1000 mile guarantee.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I guess you all know this is an old thread, which isn't bad if you have thousands of miles on the tires you're recommending. Tires that are quiet when relatively new can be a lot quieter than after you get 5,000 or more miles on them. And I've found roads that are a little rough from heavy trucks are not only loud, but give a uncomfortable ride even in comfort mode, unless you let a little air out out of tires. At least once they heat up.

There are old people posting on it, so must be old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

knollMk7

Ready to race!
PIrelli PZero All Season Plus

hwere's what our sponsor company Tirerack says:
Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus (Ultra High Performance All-Season)
  • What We Liked: Feels just-right on the road, and naturally capable on the track.
  • What We'd Improve: The wet traction doesn't feel as strong as the numbers indicate.
  • Conclusion: A well-rounded package that strikes an excellent balance.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
If you want a great all around high performance all season the Michelin AS3+ is about the best you can get. I’ve tried the Continental DWS06 twice (hoped they changed) and both times I returned them under the 1000 mile guarantee.

Previous version of DWS was so-so. Have you tired the updated version (ExtremeContact). It has got far better reviews and personally, i was very happy with those tires.

ebg18t

Ready to race!
Previous version of DWS was so-so. Have you tired the updated version (ExtremeContact). It has got far better reviews and personally, i was very happy with those tires.

Last time I tried them was end of 2016. I think that was the newer version. They were better than the last ones, but I still found them lackluster. There are so many great tires out there that we can all find a tire we like. Some like Michelin AS3+ and some like Contin DWS06.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Last time I tried them was end of 2016. I think that was the newer version. They were better than the last ones, but I still found them lackluster. There are so many great tires out there that we can all find a tire we like. Some like Michelin AS3+ and some like Contin DWS06.

Yeah pretty much. When asked, everyone share their personal opinion and people can choose their options from the comments.

halooie1

Regretting new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Replaced the stock Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires off my 2017 GTI after 31k miles with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ after reading all the good reviews. They stick to the road much better than the Hankooks, but they make MUCH more noise. There are actually two sounds if you listen closely: a woosh which stays the more or less the same pitch, just gets louder and quieter and a hum the frequency of which increases with your speed. Bumps are loud, but don't mind that...it's the drone I can't stand. I think I have to ditch them as the noise is ruining my driving experience. Can't figure how others with the same car and tires aren't bothered by it. Maybe the Hankooks were especially quiet? Anybody like to buy a lightly used set of top-rated Michelins? I ran Conti DWS 06's on my Fiesta and was satisfied. Don't remember any intrusive noise.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Replaced the stock Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires off my 2017 GTI after 31k miles with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ after reading all the good reviews. They stick to the road much better than the Hankooks, but they make MUCH more noise. There are actually two sounds if you listen closely: a woosh which stays the more or less the same pitch, just gets louder and quieter and a hum the frequency of which increases with your speed. Bumps are loud, but don't mind that...it's the drone I can't stand. I think I have to ditch them as the noise is ruining my driving experience. Can't figure how others with the same car and tires aren't bothered by it. Maybe the Hankooks were especially quiet? Anybody like to buy a lightly used set of top-rated Michelins? I ran Conti DWS 06's on my Fiesta and was satisfied. Don't remember any intrusive noise.

Add a aftermarket downpipe and dogbone insert and you’ll have plenty of other noises to go with it. :cool:

Yeah, mine hum too.

knollMk7

Ready to race!
as I mentioned before, if you want an all-season balanced tire that is likely the quietest performance tire, go with the Pirelli PZero Plus