GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 87octane JB4 or APR?

mk7_gsw

i am of this same mindset. good thinking.

APR should make a 89 oct tune then so i can run 91 safely and maximize hp at the same time with the safety net lol jk.

Im mind blown when i was in Utah they had 85 octane gas, i have no clue what car runs that.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
APR should make a 89 oct tune then so i can run 91 safely and maximize hp at the same time with the safety net lol jk.

Im mind blown when i was in Utah they had 85 octane gas, i have no clue what car runs that.

It has something to do with elevation, I think. lower octane in higher elevation has the same effect.

Though honestly I don't get why they don't just use the same stuff. I guess it's cheaper so higher profit margins.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I think that only applies for NA cars though. We have 86/88/91 octane in New Mexico, it kinda sucks. I've even seen a station with 86/88/90, and I immediately got back in my car and drove off.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
It's the OP's money and he's free to decide. Something to consider though - adding a bigger turbo (I know the IS20 is still small) and running low octane is perfectly feasible, but be aware you're trading some driveability. The turbo will spool slower and provide less torque without the advanced timing a higher octane will allow. You will also be relying entirely on boost pressure to make your power, so it will feel laggy, then lose power over 4500 rpm or so. Now, this is all relative, so it's probably nowhere near as bad as I just made it sound, but it's worth knowing before you decide. Best of luck with whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy it either way.

Tico63

Ready to race!
If you drive as much as i do and in Cali where 91 currently is $4.19 a gal and 87 is $3.81 that adds up quick when your burning through 70~ gallons of gas a month, that's $26.60 x 12 months that's $319.20 if you do that for 2 years it pays for the APR tune itself or the saved money can go towards a intercooler. If the tune is specifically for 87 then you aint running the risk of messing anything up. Think like this, is the extra 7 or so hp worth paying a extra $319 a year? To me it aint.

With that mentality, don't ever purchase a sandwich. That's $8.00 out the door and if you purchase an average of 5 sandwiches a month, that's $40.00 x 12 months = $480.00. That right there for the course of 2 years will pay for that intercooler you want.

Scraping for pennies on gas and then worried about upgrading an intercooler. Priorities smh.

Honestly thought OP was trolling when I read his thread. The idea of a turbo upgrade but scraping pennies to save money on gas. $26 a month is the cost for using the correct fuel. If you don't have $26 then you shouldn't upgrade your turbo. Again, priorities.

I'm not against the 87 tune. It exists for a reason. Some people only have access to certain grades of fuel, etc.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Your math is seriously wrong. The correct math would be.

Don't buy starbucks coffee at 6 dollars a pop. Instead, buy 2 dollar coffee at a corner store that tastes fine. Save 4 bucks a day and then use that saved money to buy intercooler.

With that mentality, don't ever purchase a sandwich. That's $8.00 out the door and if you purchase an average of 5 sandwiches a month, that's $40.00 x 12 months = $480.00. That right there for the course of 2 years will pay for that intercooler you want.

Scraping for pennies on gas and then worried about upgrading an intercooler. Priorities smh.

Honestly thought OP was trolling when I read his thread. The idea of a turbo upgrade but scraping pennies to save money on gas. $26 a month is the cost for using the correct fuel. If you don't have $26 then you shouldn't upgrade your turbo. Again, priorities.

I'm not against the 87 tune. It exists for a reason. Some people only have access to certain grades of fuel, etc.

JCAT

Your math is seriously wrong. The correct math would be.

Don't buy starbucks coffee at 6 dollars a pop. Instead, buy 2 dollar coffee at a corner store that tastes fine. Save 4 bucks a day and then use that saved money to buy intercooler.

or make your own coffee and save $5.89 a day :D

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
That doesn't work for this exercise. That would equate to making your own gasoline. =P

I do think fresh ground coffee, brewed in small batches correctly, is the best coffee. People who drink starbucks and Dunkin coffee have no idea what good coffee tastes like. :p

or make your own coffee and save $5.89 a day :D

JCAT

That doesn't work for this exercise. That would equate to making your own gasoline. =P

I do think fresh ground coffee, brewed in small batches correctly, is the best coffee. People who drink starbucks and Dunkin coffee have no idea what good coffee tastes like. :p

If you are serious about minimizing fuel costs then getting a TDI golf and feeding it homemade bio diesel is a winning proposition. So I'm bending the rules here a bit :p

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'm getting my IS20 installed in 2 weeks. I think I'm going with the 91 octane APR tune. I hope people don't get mad at me. =P

TXBDan1

Passed Driver's Ed
OP, did you end up going IS20? If so which octane?

This thread is full of nonsense. If APR makes a tune for an IS20 with 87oct gas, then it will reliably work just fine, simply at lower torque/power output. I've been tuning VWs for 15 years and have never heard of an unreliable APR tune. If it wasn't safe to do, they wouldn't offer it. End of story.

I've been running a Stage 1 87oct tune for awhile and it's been great. Not everyone wants the MOST, they want exactly what's right for them.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I have an Alltrack IS20 with 91 APR tune. This thread has gone on and on......so you want to save money? Keep your car stock! If you really want to save money you can buy Pep Boy tires for 49.00 each.......or better yet how about a 300.00 Hyundai?
My take is if you are going to play why dick around with an 87 tune? I run my 91 tune on 93 all the time. If you want to run 87 and get some low grade gas..........go 91. My car absolutely rips, third gear pulls hard right into fourth. Car is a beast.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Per the comment above yours, not everyone wants the max. Not even you, as you settled for 91 instead of the 93 tune with 93 gas available to you.

At least some of this thread debates tradeoffs of flexibility, power and safety. It's good to hear what experienced and knowledgeable people have to say.

I have an Alltrack IS20 with 91 APR tune. This thread has gone on and on......so you want to save money? Keep your car stock! If you really want to save money you can buy Pep Boy tires for 49.00 each.......or better yet how about a 300.00 Hyundai?
My take is if you are going to play why dick around with an 87 tune? I run my 91 tune on 93 all the time. If you want to run 87 and get some low grade gas..........go 91. My car absolutely rips, third gear pulls hard right into fourth. Car is a beast.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Assuming the 87 octane IS20 tune isn't detonating all over the place, why not? You'll get more power than Stage 2 93 octane. If you add a DP to the IS20 87 tune, the difference is even more.

And for the JB4 or APR debate, the answer is both if you can afford it. ;)

Per the comment above yours, not everyone wants the max. Not even you, as you settled for 91 instead of the 93 tune with 93 gas available to you.

At least some of this thread debates tradeoffs of flexibility, power and safety. It's good to hear what experienced and knowledgeable people have to say.