Go Kart Newbie
New Lugs today

Before:

After:

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Never really liked the 12 volt outlet in the center console.

So I upgraded it to a black aluminum twin QC3.0 USB charge outlet included blue LED voltmeter to match my blue footwell lights :)

Used a metal step drill bit to open up the bore in the console just a little bit. 1-1/8” worked best for a tight press fit.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie

So I upgraded it to a black aluminum twin QC3.0 USB charge outlet included blue LED voltmeter to match my blue footwell lights :)

Nice!
But then I could not light my cigars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jimboski10

Ready to race!

Used a metal step drill bit to open up the bore in the console just a little bit. 1-1/8” worked best for a tight press fit.

Really looks good....how hard an install was this? (To get old out, wire it up, etc. )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Really looks good....how hard an install was this? (To get old out, wire it up, etc. )

It’s pretty easy.

1. Pull up your e-brake and pull up the boot, should pop right out.

2. Remove small trim bezel which is facing in front of the e-brake. Be careful you need to slide it backwards instead of pulling up.

3. Remove Torx T10 screw in center of 12 volt outlet. You can see it if you look right into it. This will remove the bottom piece and electrical connector.

4. Cover your center console trim around the outlet with painters tape or microfiber towel because you need to pry out the 12 volt outlet to the top. It sits pretty firm locked in its place.

5. Use a plastic trim pry tool. Is maybe easier if you use two trim pry tools on opposite sides. Maybe you can reach in from the bottom to support pushing the outlet up with your left hand. Remove 12 volt outlet.

6. Measure the max. diameter of your new USB outlet. Usually these USB outlets have a fine thread on the outside for a lock nut. Measure diameter of hole in center console and choose correct step bit.

7. Open up the hole with the step bit. Use first gear or very slow speed on your battery drill. Do not push go with ease. The plastic is soft! I needed a 1-1/8 hole. Clean up bore.

8. Pull out the OEM 12 volt outlet connector / harness. I made myself a short adapter harness (+/- wire) with two flat crimp connectors and on the other side the female crimp connectors which will go on the new USB charger. If I remember correct brown is ground and the other wire is positive.

9. Turn ignition on to check if wiring is correct and outlet will turn on. Secure wire with electrical tape and/or zip ties.

10. Line up USB outlet und push firmly into place. Press fit should be not crazy tight but tight enough that it holds the charger in place.
Mine stays like bullet proof. If I ever will get it back out? Who knows...

11. Reassemble trim pieces in reverse order.
That’s it your are done.
Happy powerful charging your devices!

jimboski10

Ready to race!
It’s pretty easy.

2. Remove small trim bezel which is facing in front of the e-brake. Be careful you need to slide it backwards instead of pulling up.

3. Remove Torx T10 screw in center of 12 volt outlet. You can see it if you look right into it. This will remove the bottom piece and electrical connector.

4. Cover your center console trim around the outlet with painters tape or microfiber towel because you need to pry out the 12 volt outlet to the top. It sits pretty firm locked in its place.

5. Use a plastic trim pry tool. Is maybe easier if you use two trim pry tools on opposite sides. Maybe you can reach in from the bottom to support pushing the outlet up with your left hand. Remove 12 volt outlet.

6. Measure the max. diameter of your new USB outlet. Usually these USB outlets have a fine thread on the outside for a lock nut. Measure diameter of hole in center console and choose correct step bit.

7. Open up the hole with the step bit. Use first gear or very slow speed on your battery drill. Do not push go with ease. The plastic is soft! I needed a 1-1/8 hole. Clean up bore.

8. Pull out the OEM 12 volt outlet connector / harness. I made myself a short adapter harness (+/- wire) with two flat crimp connectors and on the other side the female crimp connectors which will go on the new USB charger. If I remember correct brown is ground and the other wire is positive.

9. Turn ignition on to check if wiring is correct and outlet will turn on. Secure wire with electrical tape and/or zip ties.

10. Line up USB outlet und push firmly into place. Press fit should be not crazy tight but tight enough that it holds the charger in place.

That’s it your are done.

Awesome....thank you for the step by step. Going to try this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimboski10

Ready to race!
It’s pretty easy.

That’s it your are done.

Bassman...one other question. I am thinking about getting a 12V outlet puller (than would not have to remove all the trim pieces as I am not sure how to remove the parking brake boot).......the OEM wires coming from outlet...are they long enough if I just pull the outlet out from the top to be able to wire in a new one?

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Bassman...one other question. I am thinking about getting a 12V outlet puller (than would not have to remove all the trim pieces as I am not sure how to remove the parking brake boot).......the OEM wires coming from outlet...are they long enough if I just pull the outlet out from the top to be able to wire in a new one?

Never heard about a 12V outlet puller, but the wires will be just be long enough to come out. You can unscrew the T10 bolt when you pulled the outlet out.

The trim pieces are easy to remove. Parking break just squeeze the leather boot a little until it unlocks from the clips.
In warmer weather / temps the plastic trim pieces are more flexible. That’s why I hate to work on cars during the colder winter months.

jimboski10

Ready to race!
Never heard about a 12V outlet puller, but the wires will be just be long enough to come out. You can unscrew the T10 bolt when you pulled the outlet out.

The trim pieces are easy to remove. Parking break just squeeze the leather boot a little until it unlocks from the clips.
In warmer weather / temps the plastic trim pieces are more flexible. That’s why I hate to work on cars during the colder winter months.

Thanks Bassman. Let me give it another shot tonight. Here is the outlet puller.

http://www.vwpolo.net/cigarette_lighter_socket_removing_and_installing-772.html

jimboski10

Ready to race!
Thanks Bassman. Let me give it another shot tonight. Here is the outlet puller.

http://www.vwpolo.net/cigarette_lighter_socket_removing_and_installing-772.html

Alright...good news...got the old one popped out using a screwdriver to get leverage and pull it up.

Question....did you just cut off the adapter to rewire?

I have three wires into adapter...two for 12v and one for the light ring around the old 12V socket/