GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant Warning

mthurman

Hi,

I was just driving and the coolant warning came on. Engine temp was normal. I popped the hood and saw that the coolant level was 1-2 inches below the MIN line. I loosened the cap and released the pressure and saw that the coolant returned exactly to the MIN line. I then drive the car for a few minutes and the warning did not return. Not sure what is going on here? Any ideas? I will be keeping a close watch.

Matt
2016 Autobahn PP Manual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elamothe15

Ready to race!
Hi,

I was just driving and the coolant warning came on. Engine temp was normal. I popped the hood and saw that the coolant level was 1-2 inches below the MIN line. I loosened the cap and released the pressure and saw that the coolant returned exactly to the MIN line. I then drive the car for a few minutes and the warning did not return. Not sure what is going on here? Any ideas? I will be keeping a close watch.

Matt
2016 Autobahn PP Manual

Once the car is fully cooled down I would check it again on level ground. If below min line I would top it off with some 50/50 coolant/DI water mix. Same thing happened to my car 2 years ago in the winter time and I topped it off and it's been fine since. If you go to the dealer they may top it off for free as well.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I've read about this on another thread somewhere. Sometimes the unit gets pressurized and causes a vacuum forcing the coolant below the minimum line.

As others have pointed out, I too recommend you check it again once the engine has cooled down completely and add the pink stuff. You can buy it on Amazon. If it's only a little under the min line you can just add distilled water for now to the middle of lines and add a bit of straight coolant when it arrives later to top it off.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I've read about this on another thread somewhere. Sometimes the unit gets pressurized and causes a vacuum forcing the coolant below the minimum line.

mthurman

Thanks for the replies!

It was fine until this morning. Same thing happened and it went right back to MIN when I released the pressure by opening the reservoir. I will add some coolant and keep an eye on it.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
While I doubt it's the issue at hand here, it might be worth it if the issue persists to get under the car and examine the block. Coolant leaks leave a very distinct residue as they evaporate off the hot block, which makes tracking down the leaks fairly straightforward.

Signed: Someone who has had too many coolant issues with their car.