GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is there a list of comprehensive maintenance I can do outside of the service guide?

hallu

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

I enjoy putting in wrench work on my car, and I am a stickler for preventative care. I know all about the service guide for my mk7, but I was wondering if there were extra things I can do (above and beyond the service guide) to stay ahead of any issues.

I know the thermostat housing for the water pump can be faulty, which I will inspect and look for.

The main thing I know I can do is cleaning the intake valves. Since mk7 has a direct injection, the valves build up carbon. I have read that the gen3 engines build up less carbon than the gen1 and gen2, although being DI it will still be an issue. I have not noticed any rough engine idles or other issues, so I will hold off on doing it until I hit 80k miles (currently at 65k).

Is there anything similar to the carbon cleaning that I can do?

hallu

Passed Driver's Ed
Not bad guidance here: https://www.shopdap.com/blog/service-schedule-for-mk7-gti-2015-2016.html/

I had a problem with my coils so I will likely change every 60K when spark plugs are to be changed. I change my spark plugs more often as I am tuned. I likely will do carbon cleaning at 70K, but that is just me.

Look / wait long enough and a ShopDAP guide covers what you need :D thanks for that, I’m ordering a serpentine belt now.

I messaged them about when they’ll do an intake manifold removal for a mk7 (they only have a video for a mk6) and hopefully that will happen soon - said it’s on their docket but no timeline. I can follow the VW manual but it’s nice to have a visual aid.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hi,

I enjoy putting in wrench work on my car, and I am a stickler for preventative care. I know all about the service guide for my mk7, but I was wondering if there were extra things I can do (above and beyond the service guide) to stay ahead of any issues.

I know the thermostat housing for the water pump can be faulty, which I will inspect and look for.

The main thing I know I can do is cleaning the intake valves. Since mk7 has a direct injection, the valves build up carbon. I have read that the gen3 engines build up less carbon than the gen1 and gen2, although being DI it will still be an issue. I have not noticed any rough engine idles or other issues, so I will hold off on doing it until I hit 80k miles (currently at 65k).

Is there anything similar to the carbon cleaning that I can do?

It's a lot of work so I'd wait until you actually have an issue. You might never. Stick a borescope into the cylinders and look when you change the plugs.