GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If not GTI, then what?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I don't understand why AWD on an A3 is "very attractive for obvious reason". ???

He lives in the Midatlantic. It snows quite frequently during the winter. We get nor'easters on a weekly basis. A3's are cheap and the availability of AWD makes them an attractive value proposition, if you can get past the overpriced jetta aspect of it, and the lack of rear leg/headroom and trunkspace :p

adam1991

Banned
He lives in the Midatlantic. It snows quite frequently during the winter. We get nor'easters on a weekly basis. A3's are cheap and the availability of AWD makes them an attractive value proposition, if you can get past the overpriced jetta aspect of it, and the lack of rear leg/headroom and trunkspace :p

I live where it snows. I've never needed AWD at all.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I live where it snows. I've never needed AWD at all.

Me neither. But many people think its some kind of godsend. I've driven through tons of snowstorms on OEM all seasons in 3 FWD GTIs lololol. But I will admit I'm ready to see what AWD feels like. Lookin forward to a 2019 SEL Alltrack with manual.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I can drive in the snow with FWD without issue, but I would love to have an AWD car. I drove my mom's Durango for a week or two in the snow and it was a much nicer experience

Jdreg

Ready to race!
Awd has better traction tha fwd. I simply have no need for it. Just install 4 snows. Not worth the extra weight, initial higher cost, potential for more repairs, and poorer fuel mileage.

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
If AWD were exclusively for the snowbelt, you wouldn’t see tons of Subaru’s, Evos, Golf Rs or Audi’s with Quattro in Florida as well as other warm states. I assure you you find all of the above and quite a lot of hem here in sunny hot Florida. There’s something to be said for being able to lay down the power. Awd is not all about snow. Ever lay on the throttle in the rain in a FWD or RWD car? And just because you can drive in the snow with snow tires on a FWD doesn’t mean everyone wants to. Ok be driven RWD, FWD and AWD in snow when living in NYC. I prefer AWD. Better traction, 4 wheel drifts and you can put the power down better than a FWD or RWD. Doesn’t matter the surface. One of the biggest complaints people make on this forum is that they can’t get any traction once they’re tuned. I don’t hear the Golf R or Audi Quattro owners saying that. So to all the FWD keyboard warriors enjoy your FWD and let the man be.

CeleritasPrime

Ready to race!
Mini Cooper vtec

Haha...you'd have to build it yourself tho :)

For me it was a tough, tough choice between my GTI and a Fiesta ST. In a lot of ways I think the Fiesta ST is more a spiritual successor to the Mk 1 GTI than the Mk 7/7.5 GTI is.

Now that Fiesta ST's aren't available new anymore (oh the calamity!!) in the US, the GTI once again stands alone.

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
Awd has better traction tha fwd. I simply have no need for it. Just install 4 snows. Not worth the extra weight, initial higher cost, potential for more repairs, and poorer fuel mileage.

yes. In the big picture, it's not attractive at all to me for general purpose driving on something like an A3 or GTI.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
For snow and bad conditions I'd prefer AWD, then FWD and would rather avoid a RWD car if possible.

As far as what hatch I would get if not the GTI, and used cars are options, then an STI hatchback would be the car of choice for me.