GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which Oil catch for mk7.5 R?

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
There's a thread on here somewhere of Mitsumoto's efforts to design a catch-can for the MK7, and finding that it's entirely pointless.

Yeah another member posted the thread link. That’s very interesting that Mishimoto tested there’s and admitted that it didn’t really work as they expected. After, seeing that I probably won’t get a catch can lol. Now I can use that money elsewhere

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
It's your money so waste it if you want to, but catch cans do little to nothing for these cars.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Yeah another member posted the thread link. That’s very interesting that Mishimoto tested there’s and admitted that it didn’t really work as they expected. After, seeing that I probably won’t get a catch can lol. Now I can use that money elsewhere
To naysayers let's see your turbo inlet, intercooler inlet. If they aren't dripping oil, then you don't need a catch.
If they are, 99% they are, where do you think that oil comes from and goes??

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

vw671

Autocross Newbie
To naysayers let's see your turbo inlet, intercooler inlet. If they aren't dripping oil, then you don't need a catch.
If they are, 99% they are, where do you think that oil comes from and goes??

Mine at ~6k miles pre-catch. The catch can on my car doesn't catch any oil but the longer PCV lines keep oil out of the intake for me. I'm sure a small amount of oil in the intake is "acceptable" but I don't like it.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Instead of paying $200-300 for a nice catch can, just save that money for carbon cleaning down the road.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
I don't like thinking about that (blowby) oil/water/fuel pooling in my turbo and going into my intercooler channels and soaking into the rubber piping and sludging up my throttle plate and burning on to the backs of my valves.

I did a 40k carbon cleaning with walnut shells. Its a bitch. If I could go 60-80k between cleanings. That's worth $100

beaumier2006

Ready to race!
Leyo FTW. I have currently the 034 on my MKVII A3 Quattro and the design is not optimal in my opinion. Switching to the Leyo as soon as I have time to put it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Asks for advice on catch cans... rejects all users inputs and decides hes getting one anyway lol.

buccad

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
Asks for advice on catch cans... rejects all users inputs and decides hes getting one anyway lol.

No, this is the last post by the OP. Other people are still getting one, though. I guess if you have money to throw around...

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Well yeah spirited is different than tracking. I will take it to the track eventually. I just know from previous experiences with a catch can they do work.

One of the major catch can companies started testing and development on a Mk7 kit.

They halted it after they showed it wasn’t doing much of anything.

I would save my $$ and just have the valves blasted every 50k-60k for $300-$400.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
One of the major catch can companies started testing and development on a Mk7 kit.

They halted it after they showed it wasn’t doing much of anything.

I would save my $$ and just have the valves blasted every 50k-60k for $300-$400.

Yeah, decided not to get one after all. They are pretty expensive. Lol VW did a good job

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Mishimoto Testing

"After over a 1000 miles of testing, our can was basically bone dry, with only the smell of oil and fuel vapor present. The last thing we want to do is create a product for you that doesn't provide any benefit. The MK7 has a very efficient system on its own, and we tip our hats off to Volkswagen for their design."

Ironic that they take that position and then 18 months later have a carbon fiber catch can available for purchase.

1000 miles doesn't strike me as a long time to evaluate this type of product.

Using engines that on the whole are fairly new does not give an indication of how conditions will be as the engines wear.