GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Top tier fuel a cleaning additives

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
There are no mom and pop stations that don't move volumes of fuel these days. They can't survive due to the supply costs of running a gas station. If someone isn't buying your gas you are out of business pretty quick. So old stock isn't an issue.

Also moisture and supposed contamination is filtered out before it hits your tank by multi million dollar devices installed in all gas stations. If old fuel was as widespread enough to make a difference between "Top Tier" and "normal" gas it would make the news and that hasn't been the case.

Top tier is nothing more than paying into a consortium just to get a marketing badge to make your fuel seem better than the rest.

Please don't quote Consumer (paid off by big business) reports they are not credible.

Please cite your sources. Thanks.

cezar

Passed Driver's Ed
Exhaust Gas Recirculation? What does that have to do with fuel cleaning addititves?

If I'm going to be rude, I'll also be nice.

EGR matters because engines recirculate combustion byproducts into the intake stream, even on direct injection engines. Basically any dino fuel product will leave deposits on its second trip through an engine. As a result, a top-tier gas will leave fewer deposits than no-name unleaded. The PCV system is also a factor because it's taking crankcase vapors and running them back through the intake as well. Using good gas probably doesn't make a huge difference, but there's so many top tier vendors that it makes sense to use them when possible.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
If I'm going to be rude, I'll also be nice.

EGR matters because engines recirculate combustion byproducts into the intake stream, even on direct injection engines. Basically any dino fuel product will leave deposits on its second trip through an engine. As a result, a top-tier gas will leave fewer deposits than no-name unleaded. The PCV system is also a factor because it's taking crankcase vapors and running them back through the intake as well. Using good gas probably doesn't make a huge difference, but there's so many top tier vendors that it makes sense to use them when possible.

I asked the question with all that being a given, as that is how MPI engines end up choking on carbon build up. Sometimes the carbon build up is so bad it completely clogs passage ways in the head, resulting in replacement of the heads.

I was being rude in return :p

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
does anyone buy gas that ain't on the top tier list? I think we had mentioned Sams Club as not being on the list....are they other stations? When I googled TT it seemed everyplace I get gas is part of it.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I saw a guy in an F-type Jaguar getting gas at the El Cheapo station down the block from me.

The top-tier station down the block is only 2 cents more expensive than this station. So...like 20 cents a fill up even if it does nothing we're talking about literal pennies here.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The government does when their routine weights and measures tests shut down their pumps.

Bureau of Weights and Measures checks for fuel filter replacement interval? Who knew?

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
If top tier is nothing but hype, what do the oem’s have to gain by recommending it.

They are the ones that started the consortium. You should research how "Top Tier" came about. They were part of who started this.

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
No, but I don't really like nitwits with an acerbic tone who think everything in life is a scam when it comes to basic things.

Write to the oil companies yourself and find out that their secret sauce is little more than salt & pepper.

But let's go with your theory that Shell/Exxon/BP/etc. have fuels that only work in certain markets and can't be used else where.
I'm sure their stockholders appreciate that they spent millions on products they can only sell in specific locales.

With all the use of big boy words you don't even understand how things work in the rest of the world. Fuel formulations have been different in Europe for years. Their sulfur amounts have been different than the US for decades now. You should read more.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
With all the use of big boy words you don't even understand how things work in the rest of the world. Fuel formulations have been different in Europe for years. Their sulfur amounts have been different than the US for decades now. You should read more.

That definitely explains the multitude of threads of servicemen having to swap out their engines when they export their cars to Germany.

You're a contrarian idiot.

I guess AAA, ConsumerReports, all the oil companies, and all the car manufacturers are in on this whole scam. The only fuel you should buy is no-name-brand 87. That's what is best for your engine.