GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Top tier fuel a cleaning additives

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Do you have any documentation that all non-top tier fuel does NOT contain the same cleaning agents?

Thats the thing. I work in the printing industry and there are all kinds of eco friendly ratings you can get that will help your company look more environmentally friendly than the next. But in the end it's just paying to join a group. All printers are using the same inks and papers they have to because of the EPA and paper companies are just offering that because of their commitment to the environment. The ones with the eco friendly titles have paid into the group to make themselves more appealing to customers.

It's the same for "Top Tier". If pay into the group and use their recommended additives you are in. But I'm sure that most suppliers are using the same additives as the Top Tier ones it's most cost effective to just do that. Plus there are regulations by the EPA on what additives and levels you can add.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
May I ask how your valves looked at 40K before the cleaning? Were you having idle/misfire issues or something? Definitely interested in your findings on this, thanks!

Interested as well, I’m at 47k

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I, like most of us, can only offer empirical evidence on this topic.

I will say that in my personal experience, both of our MK7s absolutely run smoother, and quieter on Top Tier fuel.

There is an a noticeable difference between when I use Costco 91 (my usual) and when, in a pinch, I've filled up at non-top tier station here in the Bay Area (Rotten Robbie –*the strangest name for a business I've ever seen.). After the last time I dumped some Robbie in my tank, I said I'd never do it again because it was so noticeable. Then my in-laws did it one time to my car as well when I let them borrow it while they were visiting. Same noticeable change, without knowing thats where they went.

I've also had similar feeling experiences with a BMW and on the MK4 1.8T Jetta & GTI I owned when they were new.

tstadgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE DSG
Thats the thing. I work in the printing industry and there are all kinds of eco friendly ratings you can get that will help your company look more environmentally friendly than the next. But in the end it's just paying to join a group. All printers are using the same inks and papers they have to because of the EPA and paper companies are just offering that because of their commitment to the environment. The ones with the eco friendly titles have paid into the group to make themselves more appealing to customers.

It's the same for "Top Tier". If pay into the group and use their recommended additives you are in. But I'm sure that most suppliers are using the same additives as the Top Tier ones it's most cost effective to just do that. Plus there are regulations by the EPA on what additives and levels you can add.

This ^. I usually get gas at Sam's Club, which is not Top Tier. It's usually $.30 to $40 /gallon cheaper than the other stations around. I have wondered if they use similar additives and just didn't want to pay to be in the 'Top Tier' club. I still get gas at a top tier station once or twice a month, just in case.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Sam's Club? I wouldn't put that swill in my car.

Do you have a local Costco? They're Top Tier, and replace their fuel filters at proper intervals.

Costco is the #1 gasoline retailer in the country, by volume.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

Do you have a local Costco? They're Top Tier, and replace their fuel filters at proper intervals.

From what I've read on /r/costco, they also mix in their proprietary additive blend on site as their tanks are filled to ensure the freshest mix of products, plus because they sell so much, they're delivered fresh product daily.

tstadgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE DSG

LOL 'Swill', hopefully it's not that terrible, it's 93 at least.

Unfortunately Costco is way out of the way for me... I know they are Top Tier. I probably won't renew my Sam's membership next year, the only reason I got it was for baby formula and diapers. I guess that will make the GTI happy :eek:

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Naysayers need to learn how to use the internet. It is quite amusing reading some of your posts. I especially like the one about comparing printing to fuel. Real informative and they have SO much in common. :rolleyes:

To each their own. But let's not be ignorant on the subject and then try and sell your POV.

There are different additives and/or more additives to top tier fuel. Many of the additives were co-developed with automobile companies like BMW, VAG, Volvo, etc. They had input as to what would work best in the formulations.

Sheesh, get your learn on before you just come in here blowing hot air.

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
I found the best deterrent to carbon build up on the back of the intake valves is looong road trips.

Back in the day, (50 years ago) my father took me out on a long straight road and floored it. When the County Mounty pulled him over, he said, "Officer, I'm teaching my son how to blow the carbon out of the engine". The officer smiled, and said "This is a good road for that. Have a nice evening". I would not recommend that method now.

Jdreg

Ready to race!
Naysayers need to learn how to use the internet. It is quite amusing reading some of your posts. I especially like the one about comparing printing to fuel. Real informative and they have SO much in common. :rolleyes:

To each their own. But let's not be ignorant on the subject and then try and sell your POV.

There are different additives and/or more additives to top tier fuel. Many of the additives were co-developed with automobile companies like BMW, VAG, Volvo, etc. They had input as to what would work best in the formulations.

It never ceases to amaze me how with all the reputable sources of info available, the same old wives tails and ignorance continue to prevail. There really is no need for opinions when the facts are clear.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
It never ceases to amaze me how with all the reputable sources of info available, the same old wives tails and ignorance continue to prevail. There really is no need for opinions when the facts are clear.

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP

Different, more, or both? That's the problem, there is no documentation. It's all just marketing hype (hot air from the oil companies). And no evidence (facts, data) from the oil companies that the result is any better than with fuel that's not Top-Tier. Read the ads, it's all non-committal, non-specific language.

BTW, I do regularly use Top-Tier fuel from Costco because they have the best prices.