GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dsg skip shift.

Jdreg

Ready to race!
In my manual trans corvette I could skip gears easily. 1 to 4 was actually forced on you at low rpm to increase mileage. What’s the best way, if any, to do this with a dsg in manual mode. Should I shift through all gears quickly but allowing time for each gear to engage, or tap the paddle quickly to get to the gear I need.
I’ve tapped quickly and it seems to work, although I don’t know if all the gears engaged/disengaged along the way.
Thanks

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
You physically won't be able to force the GTI with DSG to skip gears. That's not how the gearbox works. In a way, the gearbox learns to anticipate what gear is coming next, so if it sees throttle input at 80% and climbing, it expects a shift coming and preps the clutches to go to the next gear on the other set of gears (remember dual clutch gearbox, so the 1-3-5 are on one set and 2-4-6 are on the other). Give it a splitsecond to get to the gear. You can tap it as fast as you want, but the gearbox will only allow the shift if the RPMs are sufficient. If you're looking to increase mileage, you may honestly want to just let the auto do it's thiing so you're not lugging the engine.

Also, a fun read about driving the DSG and learning the logic: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...-DSG-Game-and-Win-DSG-Driving-Tips-and-Tricks

Last edited:

SpoolDude

Passed Driver's Ed
Why would you want to? These cars don't have big fuel guzzling V8s in them. They are turbo 4 cylinders. They already get pretty good gas mileage. If you stay out of boost you'll get better gas mileage than skipping shifts with a big V8

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
In my manual trans corvette I could skip gears easily. 1 to 4 was actually forced on you at low rpm to increase mileage. What’s the best way, if any, to do this with a dsg in manual mode. Should I shift through all gears quickly but allowing time for each gear to engage, or tap the paddle quickly to get to the gear I need.
I’ve tapped quickly and it seems to work, although I don’t know if all the gears engaged/disengaged along the way.
Thanks

The factory tuning in the DSG has you in 6th gear by 40 something mph anyway.

Jdreg

Ready to race!
I’m just trying to understand the difference between what I did with a stick vs the dsg.
Let’s say I brake hard just before a corner and want to drop 2 gears going in. This would be my best example of what I’d like to accomplish properly.

buccad

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
If I’m doing spirited driving, I usually don’t let the car dip below 2k rpms in any given gear to keep it in the power band. Usually this means if I’m decelerating into a corner, I don’t quickly downshift twice in a row, I downshift, let the revs continue to fall, and downshift again just above 2k. That way when I get back on the throttle I’m always in the optimum gear for acceleration

SpoolDude

Passed Driver's Ed
You are referring to two completely different instances. The skip shift on acceleration on the manual was a fuel saving measure by essentially locking out the gate on second gear and thus forcing you to shift to 4th instead. If you had given it just a little more gas, second would have been unlocked and you could shift to second.

Now you are referring to downshifting, which on a manual, yes, you could just put it in the gear that you want. On any automatic, you'll need to downshift each gear, albeit you can do it quickly on downshift, and this car has enough torque that the lowest you'll ever really want to downshift is to second. And even then, that's only really below like 20 mph. Third is sufficient for anything over if you are really hammering it. Mildly spirited? Fourth.

roystr

Ready to race!
As pointed out above, they are two different styles of gearbox: sequential and non-sequential. The Vette and 6MT GTI have a non-sequential aka "H pattern" gearbox. You can jump around all you want (when not locked out on the vet). A sequential gearbox requires that gear changes happen in a specific order. Think of a motorcycle transmission, shifter kart transmission, or Indycar awhile back.

When Indycar went from H pattern to sequential, the drivers couldn't skip gears, but it didn't matter because sequential was ultimately faster. Same with F1 when they went from H pattern to semi-automatic (ie, paddles behind the steering wheel).

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI