GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ed is doing a great job in the service end of things. Definitely the type of company to do business with.

One thing I am curious about is the use of factory bearings. Others have found the bearings to be a weak point and have installed larger thrust bearings and modified collars.

Ed I look forward to the results.

You guys will be the first to know once we have more info. The thrust bearing is actually not factory and we have considered different materials as well for reinforcement.

Thanks
— Ed

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
You guys will be the first to know once we have more info. The thrust bearing is actually not factory and we have considered different materials as well for reinforcement.

Thanks
— Ed

My mistake.

You had mentioned use of a genuine IHI bearing and shafts machined to fit. I guess a IHI bearing out of a different model turbo?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
My mistake.

You had mentioned use of a genuine IHI bearing and shafts machined to fit. I guess a IHI bearing out of a different model turbo?

Probably IHI journal bearings with an aftermarket thrust, Ed seems pretty open about all of this, which is great.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Probably IHI journal bearings with an aftermarket thrust, Ed seems pretty open about all of this, which is great.

Yep this is correct.

And yep, I like transparency in general. Secrets are not my forte ;).

— Ed

Travis9935

Ready to race!
Ed you gonna run a Black Friday sale on these? I just bought a Qled TV & Xbox one X so I'm poor right now! Lol

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Navi

Autocross Champion
man i just went is38 but this seems like a good option. Compared to the other guy that was selling the other turbo on preorder for 1.5 years, the customer service here seems much better. No defensive or condescending responses when someone inquires about the turbo issues or more detailed information. Hopefully more of these end up being reviewed bc everyday I'm waiting for my is38 to pop lol.

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
man i just went is38 but this seems like a good option. Compared to the other guy that was selling the other turbo on preorder for 1.5 years, the customer service here seems much better. No defensive or condescending responses when someone inquires about the turbo issues or more detailed information. Hopefully more of these end up being reviewed bc everyday I'm waiting for my is38 to pop lol.

Mine popped (IS38)in less than 5K miles. Brand new. Ordered my EQT turbo 2 days ago. Get a phone call from Patrick 10 minutes before they close to tell me they're on back order for around 10 days. Meanwhile I have no car for 2 weeks. Sucks. May look around for another alternative.

Last edited:

Travis9935

Ready to race!
Mine popped (IS38)in less than 5K miles. Brand new. Ordered my EQT turbo 2 days ago. Get a phone call from Patrick 10 minutes before they close to tell me they're on back order for around 10 days. Meanwhile I have no car for 2 weeks. Sucks. May look around for another alternative.
IHX475

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
If you can't wait, DBV2 is $2200 with your blown IS38 as a core.

Def a few bucks more, but that's a proven badass turbo.

Last edited:

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Someone should make a sticky thread of all the options & pricing for turbos, it's starting to get hard to track options etc.