GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Upgrade After Slipping Stage 1 APR 6MT

Jords1

Hi guys,

So went APR Stage 1 last week after utilising their 20% off summer sale. Car is a pocket rocket now! Very happy with tune but of course..

Clutch slipped in the high output tune (as expected) so tuner kindly flashed to low output instead but still slipping quite a bit between gears 2nd-6th.

Definitely disappointed with the stock clutch as I thought it would've been improved since the previous generation (Should've went DSG :( ) Anyway, planning to get the Sachs SRE clutch upgrade however as I currently have 15K miles on the clock, would it be sensible to have the flywheel replaced? Only smoked the clutch briefly once when stock but haven't since even on tune as don't wanna cause anymore damage.

Since I baby the car I think the flywheel is still in top notch condition but who knows until we take it out...

I'm planning to purchase the clutch from awesome gti however can anyone tell me where I could get a new clutch release throwout bearing/slave cylinder based in the UK?

Cheers!

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Honestly the only way to tell if the flywheel is damaged is to look at it, I'd go for clutch/flywheel/TOB all at once.

If done correctly it should last you the life of the car depending on driving style. As far as UK dealers AwesomeGTI might be your best bet at the moment for parts.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Yes, it adds to the cost to do the flywheel and TOB, but better than having to open it up twice. I was thinking of reusing mine (haven't burned it once) but I'll probably replace it just to make sure it's all new so it's a fresh start and I can say it was done correctly the first time

Ghawkins

Ready to race!
My experience mirrors yours. Stage 1 >clutch slip>Low output tune>no clutch slip, but epc light on>Sachs SRE Clutch>return to Stage 1>no issues! Decided to stay with the original flywheel. It showed no damage or evidence of overheating. I had brief slippage at low rpm in 4th, 5th, & 6th only a handful of times with the original clutch. APR should promote a clutch package with their tune. Way more power/torque than my tuned Mk6 or Mk5. Punched it tonight at about 20 mph in second gear...looked in the mirror and noticed two long black streaks.

Jords1

My experience mirrors yours. Stage 1 >clutch slip>Low output tune>no clutch slip, but epc light on>Sachs SRE Clutch>return to Stage 1>no issues! Decided to stay with the original flywheel. It showed no damage or evidence of overheating. I had brief slippage at low rpm in 4th, 5th, & 6th only a handful of times with the original clutch. APR should promote a clutch package with their tune. Way more power/torque than my tuned Mk6 or Mk5. Punched it tonight at about 20 mph in second gear...looked in the mirror and noticed two long black streaks.

Ghawkins, how many miles when you got your clutch replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jords1

Awesome GTI can add a throw out bearing for about 35 pounds (I just ordered same kit)

Ohhhh, I can't seem to find it on their site! Do you have the link to it please? [emoji4]

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
+1. The clutch slips because its clamping force is not designed to handle the increase in torque tunes/flashes/piggybacks give.

The solution is to replace the clutch. That's it. There is not any other magical solution other then reducing the power increase from the tune or piggy back (moving to map 6 on JB1 for example). Even then, you can be sure that any increase in power is going to be reducing your clutch longevity.*

TLDR: Up your power? replace your clutch.

*=outside of some early 2015 build dates which have magic clutches before they replaced them with a different supplier and everyone started flooding the forums with clutch slippage issues.

StopSweatinMe

Ready to race!
Go Southend and get a flywheel meant to handle all that torque as well.

I went through the stock clutch and flywheel and the HoD clutch and new OEM flywheel. The HoD clutch kit had zero launches on it. I put the stock parts back on because they would hold stock power and traded it in. The HoD clutch disk was totally worn down and the car wouldn't move.

Now I'm in a 2016 Nissan Maxima Platinum and I miss the speed, but love the luxury. Of course it's sitting on 20" wheels and summer tires already. :D

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
I went with the Sachs SRE. I didn't want anything to do with the chatter associated with the SMF that most aftermarket clutches have.

I'll be able to give a full report the week after next. I'm finally getting my car back, but going on vacation, so it'll have to wait. Oh, I went APR Stage 1 right away.

Ghawkins

Ready to race!
Ghawkins, how many miles when you got your clutch replaced?

About 13,000 but the clutch started slipping at about 7,000 miles before I changed to the low output tune. I agree that mileage is not a big factor. Apparently cold weather is...lots of reports on this forum starting last November. Increased boost then seems to be a tipping point.

Jords1

Mileage has nothing to do with tuned clutch slip.

+1. The clutch slips because its clamping force is not designed to handle the increase in torque tunes/flashes/piggybacks give.

The solution is to replace the clutch. That's it. There is not any other magical solution other then reducing the power increase from the tune or piggy back (moving to map 6 on JB1 for example). Even then, you can be sure that any increase in power is going to be reducing your clutch longevity.*

TLDR: Up your power? replace your clutch.

*=outside of some early 2015 build dates which have magic clutches before they replaced them with a different supplier and everyone started flooding the forums with clutch slippage issues.

Agreed, you gotta 'pay to play' and that's why I'm having it upgraded. I was just asking about the mileage as Ghawkins kept his original fly wheel as it was still in good condition and since my mileage is about the same I was thinking maybe I don't have to replace it either.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I was just asking about the mileage as Ghawkins kept his original fly wheel as it was still in good condition and since my mileage is about the same I was thinking maybe I don't have to replace it either.

You could make sure a dealership had a flywheel in stock (and held) for you before you do the clutch swap. If your flywheel has too much play, put in the new one.

Keep in mind they are "not supposed" to re surface a DMF. So from an optimal standpoint, you should really always be swapping the DMF for a new one so it wears in with the new clutch and all previous material is removed.