GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Ticking/Clicking Noise

sagkosh

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello,
I have a 2018 Golft GTI and i got it brand new, now it has 9700KM on it. some times when engine is warm (oil temp more than 100) and i want to accelerate quickly (if i press acc pedal quickly) but not FULL THROTTLE (less than half throttle) around 2000 to 2800 RPM i hear a quick tickticktick sound coming from right side of engine area and i notice power loss along with the sound!!!!!!
the ticking sound goes away after 2 or 3 tickings Useful info:
- it is not ticking everytime i accelerate
- it is not ticking on full or low throttle even if i use Launch Control
- Local dealer says it is due to low Octane Fuel (they could never hear it though) and i believed that too ,as for past 2 months i had only access to regular Euro4 gas 91RON (lab tested 90.2) and i was using NF Sport or Prestone Octane booster with it, but still i could hear the ticking sound sometimes!!!!
- Now we have premium 95RON fuel again (lab tested 93.8 and 94.2) and today i heard that ticking sound again as described!!!!

Anyone knows what is the problem???

P.S: Although VW says i can chaning OIL in every 15,000KM but i change oil and filters at every 4800 to 5000 KM)

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Sounds like detonation you should get a tool to log with. The fuel situation doesn't sound good in Sweden atleast octane is guaranteed higher then stated number on the pump. Low rpm knock is really hard on the engine so try to avoid it.

sagkosh

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like detonation you should get a tool to log with. The fuel situation doesn't sound good in Sweden atleast octane is guaranteed higher then stated number on the pump. Low rpm knock is really hard on the engine so try to avoid it.
How can i be sure it is knocking?
Or it is because of oil ....

sagkosh

Passed Driver's Ed
So is it the purge valve like described in that video?
I dunno if it is because of canister purge valve but the sound is pretty much the same with what i have as i described ....

I am using good quality fuel now but still have the sound and even with 91ron fuel my milage was awesome (620km with 45 litres)
I have heard that knocking will cause high gas usage?

sagkosh

Passed Driver's Ed
The sound was related to vvt and the cause was low quality engine oil used by dealer
Motosel API-SN SAE 5W40
I changed it with Addinol superlight 0540 API SN/CF 5W40 and the sound is minimized and hardly can be hears
Mechs say i need to use the oil for 1 more service to fully remove the sound

sagkosh

Passed Driver's Ed

sagkosh

Passed Driver's Ed
We should ask people what is their engine oil
How often they change?
What fuel they use?