GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting Catch Can and Here's Why

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Aye. If the inline (doesn't replace the plate on top of the engine) is showing massive accumulation, something is very wrong with either the stock oil seperator or the pcv If it isn't, and oil is still getting into the charge pipes, then something is wrong with the turbo.

Overview of stock system. The reason you don't need a catch can on the car (unless something is wrong with the stock system) is because you already have a catch can system built into the engine. Like many parts on this car, the stock pieces out perform most of the aftermarket ones (when the function correctly).

Yes I get what the stock design is meant to do. That is what it's supposed to do but I have oil on the inlet pipe and compressor which tells me PCV upper or lower system can't keep up with the demand. The turbo is running like a champ at 28psi LOL. So I believe the stock system is designed for stock level of performance. So maybe if the system is prematurely failing or has failed in some shape or form then I still did not notice until I took off inlet, charge pipes or FMIC to see this. Which even for me to have to take these items off all the time is tedious. So if a catch can system then similar to VWR or APR setup lets not say a CTS I wanted to use which eliminates the system, then I would be alerted to the PCV system issues BEFORE it pisses oil all over my turbo compressor housing and charge pipe system right? In this case I still need one to let me know when my stock system is failing without letting it make a mess would you agree then?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
There are cars running stage 3+ on the R and GTI with no accumulation in their catch cans. If something is getting by, something is wrong.

You will always have a minor amount of oil in the inlet. It's oil post turbo that is the worry. That is "generally" not from the PCV system. (that's from the turbo).

The APR is an inline system, so it would piggy back off the stock system and show you if it working properly or not.

The problem with the full replacement systems (the ones that replace the entire top plate), is the accumulation of material is rapid and extensive. (You might be emptying it every week). If I were you, I'd check the classified. Maybe someone will sell you a catch can they used and found no use for, so at least you'd be able to check your system out without spending hundreds of extra dollars.

Den9696

Yes I get what the stock design is meant to do. That is what it's supposed to do but I have oil on the inlet pipe and compressor which tells me PCV upper or lower system can't keep up with the demand. The turbo is running like a champ at 28psi LOL. So I believe the stock system is designed for stock level of performance. So maybe if the system is prematurely failing or has failed in some shape or form then I still did not notice until I took off inlet, charge pipes or FMIC to see this. Which even for me to have to take these items off all the time is tedious. So if a catch can system then similar to VWR or APR setup lets not say a CTS I wanted to use which eliminates the system, then I would be alerted to the PCV system issues BEFORE it pisses oil all over my turbo compressor housing and charge pipe system right? In this case I still need one to let me know when my stock system is failing without letting it make a mess would you agree then?
Any update on this? Did catch can help catch excess oil/shit coming out of system? I've noticed my 1.8 tsi burning some oil under heavy boost and I think I'm having a similar issue with oil getting passed the separator.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Any update on this? Did catch can help catch excess oil/shit coming out of system? I've noticed my 1.8 tsi burning some oil under heavy boost and I think I'm having a similar issue with oil getting passed the separator.

Took out intercooler piping, tip, and intake last weekend.

Im at 50k with an aggressively tuned is20 hybrid + tons of mods.

I saw nothing that would compel me to buy a catch can. I still think its a waste of money and just adds "bling" to the engine bay. If you just want to add looks, at least get one that keeps stock pcv system in place so you are not doing more damage.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Took out intercooler piping, tip, and intake last weekend.

Im at 50k with an aggressively tuned is20 hybrid + tons of mods.

I saw nothing that would compel me to buy a catch can. I still think its a waste of money and just adds "bling" to the engine bay. If you just want to add looks, at least get one that keeps stock pcv system in place so you are not doing more damage.

I'll second this. I recently installed an intercooler at 24k miles, half of it tuned, and the IC piping was bone-dry.

Zer0DazE

Ready to race!
Look forward to hearing the details on intake back of valve cleaning, if you are going to use the setup like the BMW folks, etc. I'm at 30K and am considering doing this at 40K intervals. Doesn't look hard, just time consuming and potentially messy.

I just did this with the Bimmer Help adapter. It's not a difficult job, but is some what time consuming. There were only 2 parts of the job that made me swear.

Like the OP, when I installed my intercooler I found oil in my pipes. That was with 30-40k on the stock is20. When I was cleaning the intake valves I found the runners and flaps in the manifold were coated as well.

edit:
just realized someone bumped a zombie thread

teemmy

Ready to race!
There's another thread on this on how the catch can may be useful in high G braking situations for autox or track driving. Normal driving and aggressive street driving doesn't seem to need a catch can.

I have found my IC hoses to have quite a bit of oil even with a catch can. Not sure if there's that much you can do to prevent this.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
There's another thread on this on how the catch can may be useful in high G braking situations for autox or track driving. Normal driving and aggressive street driving doesn't seem to need a catch can.

I have found my IC hoses to have quite a bit of oil even with a catch can. Not sure if there's that much you can do to prevent this.

Your car is crying because you keep swapping turbos.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36

A baffled oil pan would do the same thing plus have more benefits. As long as the theory the thread is talking about and the one I am thinking of are the same.