GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are there good brake upgrade options for PP?

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
How about this? :D

These are pre-production calipers that I am running on my car. OEM setup with Ø375mm rotors that bolt right up to our cars with no modifications. :) Should be available from your local dealer when the car launches in the middle of 2019. I can't disclose what program these are for. :cool:

Re: RS3 brakes, not only their price is a bit nuts, but most of all you have to deal with VAG's idiocy for using the same cast for left & right rotors (one has backwards vanes - from the pic you took it looks like driver's side is the backwards one). That's more than fine on the street, but a few laps in, having one side chill and the other melting is not going to work for me.

This coming weekend I'll check fitment of TTS calipers on the 340mm PP rotors.

Swoope

Ready to race!
It's inner swept area so it doesn't matter, it's discussed in the thread...

No fade this weekend at the track running Porterfield R4 pads. My instructor who drives an Elise was impressed that I could still over-brake at the end of the day. Super happy with the improvement over the oem floating calipers not to mention the price when compared to other options.

Salvaged calipers $250
Brackets and hardware $280
New seals $50
Race pads $190
Motul 5.1 fluid $12

I still think this is the best deal even if you have PP and need to downsize to 312mm rotors, think of the weight savings lol! The performance is in the pads and caliper design anyhow :D

i misspoke in my earlier post, i am also running the porterfield R4 pads, not the R4s.

sat i ran two sessions at the sebring club course. which is about as hard on brake as anywhere i have been.

they did just fine.

do you have to remover the caliper to change pads?

beers

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
i misspoke in my earlier post, i am also running the porterfield R4 pads, not the R4s.

sat i ran two sessions at the sebring club course. which is about as hard on brake as anywhere i have been.

they did just fine.

do you have to remover the caliper to change pads?

beers

Just a retaining clip and pin then the pads slide right out. It took me longer to get the wheel off and on than the pad change

I'm liking the new StopTech Street Performance pads on the street, how fitting right. They dust a lot, but at $28 a set for the fronts I don't care at all

SVTunit

Ready to race!

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI

I did a test fit of the TTS caliper on PP GTI and I'm happy to report it fits!!

*pics incoming

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
TTS caliper mounted:

Clears the dust cover

More pics:

With pads:

Rotor clearance looked tight..

..until I saw the stock ones, where the end of the screw is even tighter ;)

Couple more pics of stock for comparo:

Last edited:

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
The only bit of bad news is they would need about 5mm more offset to clear the spokes on the 18" Nogaros, but I'm not mad, since I was looking for an excuse to get some 8.5" wide rims to put 245's on them :D

..also the cross line & the bleeders will need to get swapped of course, since on the TTS the caliper sits behind the rotor.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Well that sure is nice. $200 for new rotors, $800 for these, add some decent pads and for $1200 you have a nice 4 piston solid caliper setup with 340mm rotors. The only setup that seems close is the stoptech st41 on 328mm rotors for $1400. Only upside there is that I think they clear stock wheels without spacers. Do the stoptech allow you to switch pads without removing the caliper like you'd need to for these?

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Well that sure is nice. $200 for new rotors, $800 for these, add some decent pads and for $1200 you have a nice 4 piston solid caliper setup with 340mm rotors. The only setup that seems close is the stoptech st41 on 328mm rotors for $1400. Only upside there is that I think they clear stock wheels without spacers. Do the stoptech allow you to switch pads without removing the caliper like you'd need to for these?

Well, I might spring for 2-piece rotors, these seem nice and the price is much less than any other 340mm 2-piece:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...ating-brake-rotors-pair-340x30/013928ecs01kt/

Nogaros have 49 offset (according to these guys https://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/23780...golf-wheel-black-machined-5g0601025aqfzz.html), so any wheel with less than 43 offset would clear them. I'm looking at some Konigs 8.5 wide with 43 offset that are also lighter than the stockers. I really hate spacers, but I might begrudgingly use some for winter setup with the Nogaros.

I think all Stoptech kits allow you to remove pads without taking off the caliper. The thing is, I had easy-pad-swap calipers on other cars, but most times I still had to remove the caliper to press the pistons back to fit the much thicker new pads.

Last edited:

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Great news that they fit. What do you mean by "the cross line & the bleeders will need to get swapped"? I guess I just can't visualise it.

Have you weighed the TTS callipers? Keen to confirm what the weight difference is to the PP caliper.

Looked into availability of decent track pads? I've been running Endless MX72 which I'm pretty happy with. Be nice to have a more extensive pad selection, hopefully not a reduced one.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Great news that they fit. What do you mean by "the cross line & the bleeders will need to get swapped"? I guess I just can't visualise it.

The bleeders have to be on top of the calipers, while the cross line has to be below; since the TTS has the calipers at the rear of the rotors, while the GTi has them at the front, they have to be swapped (unscrew the bleeders and the cross line and switch them around)

Have you weighed the TTS callipers? Keen to confirm what the weight difference is to the PP caliper.

TTS caliper with pads weighs about 5.7kg; the stockers' weight is somewhere around the forums, I don't remember what it is. When I tested fitment I felt the TTS aluminum caliper was much lighter than the GTI irons.

Looked into availability of decent track pads? I've been running Endless MX72 which I'm pretty happy with. Be nice to have a more extensive pad selection, hopefully not a reduced one.

I haven't looked yet, but since the TTS calipers are OEM, not aftermarket kits I would imagine there should be plenty of options.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
The bleeders have to be on top of the calipers, while the cross line has to be below; since the TTS has the calipers at the rear of the rotors, while the GTi has them at the front, they have to be swapped (unscrew the bleeders and the cross line and switch them around)

TTS caliper with pads weighs about 5.7kg; the stockers' weight is somewhere around the forums, I don't remember what it is. When I tested fitment I felt the TTS aluminum caliper was much lighter than the GTI irons.

I haven't looked yet, but since the TTS calipers are OEM, not aftermarket kits I would imagine there should be plenty of options.

Aren't they just mounted upside down? As in it should go on the other side of the car to be mounted the other way up?

DAS_STIG

Banned
Aren't they just mounted upside down? As in it should go on the other side of the car to be mounted the other way up?

These types of calipers usually have progressive piston setups - one pair of pistons is smaller than second. Flipping them would change their layout and I believe you want the smaller piston to be on the "incoming" side.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI

You're right LOL, of course you could swap them left-right :rolleyes:

I just read 'front left', then removed front left wheel, saw the bleeders pointing down and told myself I just gotta move them up..

been a long day.. :eek: