GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front plate as a sticker?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Maybe*

Technically any plate other than the state issued one is “falsified state documents”

But having a sticker front plate (assuming that’s your plan) probably wouldn’t attract attention to get you noticed in the first place.

The reason I know this is I was pulled over for no front plate then threatened to have the car towed because my rear was a euro sized replica. To make matters worse I didn’t have either of my two real plates.

Got off with just a $130 no front plate ticket. Ran both real plates after that lol

This was in Ohio several years ago

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
LA has a lot of cameras, do you know if they enforce front plate laws there? They do not in my county, but do in SF county. We have had to install plates for people who live in my county but work in SF.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I like it, and would see if I would have a problem if I needed to run a front plate.

I see they're $67 for one, didn't try a mock order for two.

Pikkagtr

Ready to race!
Ive been running this for over a year now
Same plate as my custom rear
no issues yet :D

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
I don’t see why there would be a problem with cops if you have at least your legit rear plate on.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don’t see why there would be a problem with cops if you have at least your legit rear plate on.

I guess it depends if your state specifies you need to use the plate and registration sticker they issue. Nothing to stop you from having the company make you up two plates with completely fake information. I imagine if you really try you can figure out a combination that will never exist and a way to pay for and receive them without having them traced back to you. Then again, criminals won't go through that kind of trouble and just steal plates from another car.

It could give a cop an excuse to pull you over and search your in some jurisdictions.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I haven't had a front plate since I got the car. I've gotten a few tickets for it when parking in San Francisco of all places, but they've all been sorted with some zip ties and $10. I think where I live it isn't enforced because it's near where all the rich people live who own cars that don't even have a place to put a front plate.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
I guess it depends if your state specifies you need to use the plate and registration sticker they issue. Nothing to stop you from having the company make you up two plates with completely fake information. I imagine if you really try you can figure out a combination that will never exist and a way to pay for and receive them without having them traced back to you. Then again, criminals won't go through that kind of trouble and just steal plates from another car.

It could give a cop an excuse to pull you over and search your in some jurisdictions.

In California the registration stickers are placed on the rear plate. Also, in California you need to have a front plate even though it’s not heavily enforced and depends on the cop and area mostly. I could see the sticker being a reason to get pulled over

Last edited:

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
My bumper is drilled so I just run the plate. This sticker looks worse than the tow hook brackets. Lol...you're probably more likely to get pulled over with this sticker than not running a plate.