GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front bumper holes

SilverSurfer1

I removed the front license plate bracket as I only need one plate. Unsurprisingly, this left me with a total of five holes on my front bumper; three for the brackets and two for the license which end up screwing right through the bumper.

I have a couple of options;
A. go to a body shop to see if they can repair
B. replace the bumper entirely
C. use some colored plugs and plug the holes up

Anybody have experience with this and what have you done about it? Thank you.

GTI_Guy13

Passed Driver's Ed
I had this issue with my GTI when I moved from MD to GA and no longer required a front plate. I don't understand why it takes that many freaking screws to attach a front plate! I didn't feel like shelling out a lot of cash to get it fixed, so I spent about $30 for a Euro Plate and frame and just mounted it there using some of the existing holes. That can be a little flashy looking and isn't for everyone, but I liked the nice subtle look... and not having to look at those damn holes!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
It really depends on your budget

The easiest/cheapest way would be plugging them & painting them to match though, and then save that other money for mods

OR if it really bugs you...get a new bumper or have the holes filled & repainted

tna9001

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve had my bodyshop repair several bumper covers due to this issue, its a $600 repair to do it right over $1k to replace and paint.

Jozh

Passed Driver's Ed
This is a cheap DIY way :)
https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk7-golf/bumper-plugs/

Jack Straw

Ready to race!
When I owned a Z4 I bought perfectly color matched plugs from bumperplugs.com as well. It was much less hassle than prepping, priming, and spraying a bunch of fiddly little pieces.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The plugs from bumperplugs.com matched my TR Golf perfectly... but the holes in my bumper were much too large for them. The website says they only work for holes up to 9/32" but I was lazy and didn't check before ordering.

I assume my dealer, here in Cali, used an OEM front mount. It has plastic push-to-lock "rivets" like some interior trim panels, holes are pretty big, somewhere around 3/8" if I remember correctly. On top of that the screws they used to fix the plate to the mount were so long that they also went into the bumper, ugh. Bumperplugs would have worked for those holes.

I ended up having a body shop do everything, for about $300.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

SilverSurfer1

$300 isn't bad at all. Considering the plugs would run me about $80. Like you, I've got a total of five holes; three for the plate holder and two for the dang screws that held the plate. Terrible design. Honda used screws that went under the bumper and didn't pierce the bumper. But for the extra $220, I'd be fine with that. It'll look right. Time to visit a couple of body shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I run a US Millworks tow hook front mount with the quick disconnect. I pop it off when I get the car washed (would love to do it myself but I live in a condo where the HOA doesn't allow such uses of water, thank you California, haha).

Ideally I wouldn't run a front plate at all but much prefer the clean front bumper and the tow hook mount has grown on me. I don't know what I did with the bumperplugs since I couldn't use them. If anybody has a Tornado Red car (and small bumper holes) shoot me a PM and I'll try to find my plugs. If I find them I'll ship them to you for free.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk