GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Android Auto won't work on 2018 GTI S

YYZ

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a Samsung Galaxy S5 that worked flawlessly with Android Auto on my 2016 Civic, but when I tried to connect on my new GTI, I kept getting messages that said it couldn't read the USB device, or something like that. I made sure it was in file transfer mode. I tried everything, including making sure the date is set properly. It's so frustrating, especially when I wanted to use the GPS on the screen when driving the car back from the dealership in another state.

I finally decided to just get a new phone this month. I'm not about to spend $1000 on a new phone, and I usually get a new top of the line phone from a couple of years ago, in this case the Galaxy S7. I have the same exact problem with the new phone! It still won't connect, no matter what I do.

Has anyone else had this problem and how were you able to resolve it? Could there be a hidden setting in the phone or head unit that I'm missing?

DrButtDrugs

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 DSG
I just suggest it here but I've seen people need to un-pair their phone from the car completely and let Android Auto's setup take care of everything in the order it wants to. Have you tried that?

YYZ

Passed Driver's Ed
I just suggest it here but I've seen people need to un-pair their phone from the car completely and let Android Auto's setup take care of everything in the order it wants to. Have you tried that?

Thanks Dr Butt Plug, I don't know if it was doing a factory reset on my phone last night or the developer mode setting I found on another forum, but it's finally working! I'm so relieved! I found this on Vortex from a guy named gti_matt:

1. On your phone go into AA and tap "About Android Auto".
2. Tap the title bar about 10 times to get into Developer Mode.
3. After in dev mode, tap the three dots in the upper right and go into Developer Settings and turn on (selected) "Request video focus on start". This should cause your phone to not require you to unlock your phone's screen to start AA.
4. When you leave the car, just unplug the phone. Do not hit the "Disconnect" button at the bottom of the screen. This should leave the head unit in AA mode to run AA when you get in the car again and you plug in the phone. If you hit "Disconnect" it will prompt you to tap the AA button, which isn't what you want.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Thanks Dr Butt Plug