GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 Instalation Guide (1.8t)

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Yep, just keep in mind the Golf TSI is a couple hundred pounds lighter than your Sportwagen...

I don't, but I'm going to record a 0-60+ time with video on on phone soon. I have an old one of the car just with the JB1 on it for comparison, but the acceleration is a significant boost over JB1 and stock. I think APR was recording Stage II (APR DP and their IS12 tune) 0-60 at 5.7 seconds in just a Golf TSI. I'm about 50 HP and 20 ft/lbs torque over that tune right now, so it's going to be blisteringly quick for what the car was stock. The shifting still feels super fast for an auto. I'm really surprised.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
There's an easy way to figure that out... :D

FWD = Automatic
4Motion = DSG

That /\

However, given my experience with the auto in the golf you are excused for the mistake. My previous car was a mk6 golf with an auto, and have been in sparky's mk7 auto a number of times. What I can conclude from that is VW makes very good autos. Sparky's car even has the "DSG fart" when shifting even though it's not a DSG because it still shifts so fast. The DSG still definitely shifts faster though, and overall I believe it's a better transmission than the auto.

I love the cover of the printout you made! Would you be willing to upload it so we can check it out? It would be awesome to have a printout guide as one of the references for my post if you are willing.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah the 09g in the mk7 is about as good as a slushbox that isn't ZF's 8-speed is going to get. For reference my best time in the quarter mile was a 13.486.

Also echoing the sentiment for a PDF of the guide you guys assembled. At the very least your cover page is hilarious [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

V I G I L

That /\

However, given my experience with the auto in the golf you are excused for the mistake. My previous car was a mk6 golf with an auto, and have been in sparky's mk7 auto a number of times. What I can conclude from that is VW makes very good autos. Sparky's car even has the "DSG fart" when shifting even though it's not a DSG because it still shifts so fast. The DSG still definitely shifts faster though, and overall I believe it's a better transmission than the auto.

I love the cover of the printout you made! Would you be willing to upload it so we can check it out? It would be awesome to have a printout guide as one of the references for my post if you are willing.
I had some interest of my walk-through when I posted pics of us doing the job on my local Atlanta MK7 club page on Facebook, so I cleaned up my original copy and shared it there. I'm MORE than happy to share it here! HERE IS THE LINK

I printed this off and used it in the garage. I read this whole thread and researched the job until my eyes nearly fell out, so I had it nearly memorized when we got started, but it was super helpful to have a reference when things got confusing. I added in a preface with links to your profile, this thread, and this site and made sure people will give you credit for the job and differentiated my notes from yours (having an English degree makes you paranoid of plagiarization and giving credit to sources). I did a few things differently because it worked for us, so I added notes on that too. I tried to be very thorough with this walk-through. I hope this helps! If you guys have any suggestions, let me know and I can edit it on the fly.

V I G I L

Yeah the 09g in the mk7 is about as good as a slushbox that isn't ZF's 8-speed is going to get. For reference my best time in the quarter mile was a 13.486.

Also echoing the sentiment for a PDF of the guide you guys assembled. At the very least your cover page is hilarious [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
It really isn't that bad and certainly is decently quick. I wouldn't mind it so much if the paddle shifters responded faster since that's all I use. Oh well, it is what it is. At least my car is now making 300HP. It feels so good. I pulled on a E90 335i the other day so I'm happy now.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for this guide. I installed with a mechanic friend in a little over four hours. The wastegate adaption gave us some trouble because it had set faults and I didn’t think to clear them before running the adaption with vcds. I’m running JB4 currently and it feels decently strong but I need to log and turn the boost up more before deciding on IS20 software.

erichtn

Passed Driver's Ed
As an English professor contemplating this turbo swap, I appreciate both your effort and your conscientious source documentation.

I added in a preface with links to your profile, this thread, and this site and made sure people will give you credit for the job and differentiated my notes from yours (having an English degree makes you paranoid of plagiarization and giving credit to sources). I did a few things differently because it worked for us, so I added notes on that too. I tried to be very thorough with this walk-through. I hope this helps! If you guys have any suggestions, let me know and I can edit it on the fly.

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
How much longer are your stock clutches lasting after IS20 and appropriate tune? Currently I have stock turbo with APR S1, catted DP, IC and exhaust. No signs of slippage yet, just the shudder when in high gear and low RPM with moderate throttle input.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Mine lasted about 12k miles after going Is20, thrashing on it the whole time and running e30 allowing for more power than the average IS20 tune. Also, that shudder is just you lugging your engine, try to avoid it as much as possible.

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
I try to for sure, hard to keep all that low end torque from pulling up low though lol. Looks like I'll be grabbing a used 722g unit today.

Would it be more worth while to get the APR IS20 file or a JB4 stack? Knowing myself with the JB4, I'll be looking into meth in no time ?. No plans to mess and mix with E30.

How the hell did this happen, the plan was to keep this a reliable daily for years to come lol

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
I try to for sure, hard to keep all that low end torque from pulling up low though lol. Looks like I'll be grabbing a used 722g unit today.

Would it be more worth while to get the APR IS20 file or a JB4 stack? Knowing myself with the JB4, I'll be looking into meth in no time ?. No plans to mess and mix with E30.

How the hell did this happen, the plan was to keep this a reliable daily for years to come lol

ive never dynoed my car but is20 on my golf was best thing .... i got JB4 only ...id prefer a flash tune because of the set and forget privilage ... but jb4 only does well as well.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

Would it be more worth while to get the APR IS20 file or a JB4 stack? Knowing myself with the JB4, I'll be looking into meth in no time ��. No plans to mess and mix with E30.

The IS20 file is definitely more worth while because it's cheaper for you. I should probably just get the IS20 file myself already, because I think people keep seeing my setup and assuming that it's somehow a good idea. The only reason I stacked a JB4 with stage 1 with my IS20 is because the IS20 file didn't exist at the time, I cannot stress enough that my setup IS NOT a correct setup.