GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which tyres to go for

ejs4

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello,

Any recommendations on which tyres to go for on 2016 GTD

Looking for low road noise and good grip in wet.

mike.coulter

When the time comes for me to replace the Bridgestone’s, I’ll be going for Goodyear Eagle F1’s. Had them on my last car, fantastic grip and very quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ejs4

Passed Driver's Ed
Are the Bridgestones that come with the car not very good?

I’ve also heard the Michelin pro pilot 4 might be good?

mike.coulter

Are the Bridgestones that come with the car not very good?

I’ve also heard the Michelin pro pilot 4 might be good?

Not the worst but they seem very loud and pretty poor in the wet to get moving to me.

The Michelin’s are meant to be great too but having been impressed by the F1’s in the pouring rain on very wide wheels before, I’ll be using them again.

My last car I went from Pilot Sport 3’s to the Goodyear’s and loved them.

kinch

Passed Driver's Ed
I run cinturato p7 blues. Quite grippy and not noisy. I payed just under £200 for two fitted.

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
Michelin Pilot Sport 4. After using them I wouldn’t consider any other tyres. They are head and shoulders above the comparable competition in every way in my opinion.
If you are using stock wheel size you need - 225/40 R18 (92Y) XL TL.

RamsdenGTD

I had the Eagle f1's fitted on my MK7 GTD yesterday evening, it's early days but would definitely say they seem quieter than the Bridgestone Potenza's and feel better on the road. Yet to test them in the wet but i'm sure grip will be better through 1st & 2nd.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Eagle F1's are quieter and far more comfortable

Just removed the bloody awful hard, noise Potenzas and fitted Eagle F1's on my facelifted 7.5 GTI. Immediate improvement in comfort and noise level. I did this on my first 2014 MK7 GTI and the results were even better as I believe the original MK7 was inherently a quieter car.

mike.coulter

Just removed the bloody awful hard, noise Potenzas and fitted Eagle F1's on my facelifted 7.5 GTI. Immediate improvement in comfort and noise level. I did this on my first 2014 MK7 GTI and the results were even better as I believe the original MK7 was inherently a quieter car.

Huh I wonder why the 7.5 is louder?

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Huh I wonder why the 7.5 is louder?

Why do I feel this car has more cabin noise - is it my imagination, I don't thinks so as I am comparing the facelifted MK7.5 GTI to my previous Mk7 GTI

As I have written in other posts I purchased a facelifted Golf 1.5TSI around 6 weeks ago and soon realised that the cabin noise was excessive due to a loud droning noise. The dealer agreed there was an unusual sound and replaced a left rear wheel bearing. This made no difference to the sound. I tested a similar model and that was the same. I then drove a MK7 1.4TSI and that was perfect in terms of cabin noise. As I had 30-days to exchange for another vehicle I eventually replaced it with a 2018 GTI.

Now I come from a MK7 2015 GTI so I knew what to expect. In my view even this this new facelifted GTI suffered from more cabin noise than the older model, so much so that I have used Silent Coat over the spare wheel well area. I also removed the rear wheel arch liners to enable me to use Silent Coat to cover those areas along with Silent Coat under the rear seat. Under the boot floor and parcel shelf I have use acoustic foam.

The result is a definite reduction in interior noise. Finally I just knew that the Potenza S001 tyres are not good in terms of comfort and noise so now I have the Goodyear Eagle F1's. With these there is an immediate difference in ride quality as they appear more compliant and sharp ruts and ridges are handled better. Due to my experience and that of others worldwide who suffered with the original MK7 shock absorber problem I decided to fit Koni Active rear shock absorbers that without a doubt are an improvement over the original Sachs. Even though VW have had a number of years to deal with that shock absorber issue I still believe today that the Sachs shock absorbers fitted to current cars do make a certain noise over ruts, ridges and potholes etc. The Konis do not make any sound. I could have fitted the less costly Bilstein B4's as I did on the previous GTI but decided to go for the Konis which for me was a good move

The result is a much quieter and more comfortable car. I would like at sometime to fit Silent Coat under the front wheel arches as that should make a further improvement. I just do not understand VW who should do more to reduce cabin noise and ride quality. It has cost me around £550 plus my time on a new car to make these improvements. For me it is money well spent but should I really have to do this on a new near £30K car!

http://www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk/

Last edited:

bludragon06

Ready to race!
The Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 for my Gti

I just put new tires on my 2017 mk7 Gti sport. My car has the same wheels as the GTD across the pond. I went with the other tire that has been raved about here on the forums. The Continental extreme contact dws 06. My thoughts of the tire over the past 3 days of having them on the car: they are quiet and very sticky on the ground. It has been raining here in Northern California. And though the weather is nothing like what some people see I felt they handled great. They felt as if I was driving on dry ground. I am extremely happy with them. Tire Rack said they are one their top rated tires. And to boot they have a 50,000 mile warranty. As well as a 60 day trial. If you don't like them return them for a different tire. Dont quote me on that but I didn't see many other tire companies do that for their tire. Just my thoughts. :cool:

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
Pilot Sport 4S. Absolutely amazing.

I'm sure they are a great tyre but one issue with them is that 19" is as small as they are currently available so anyone running 18" wheels (like myself) or smaller can't choose these unfortunately. Hopefully Michelin will produce them in sizes below 19" in the future.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I'm sure they are a great tyre but one issue with them is that 19" is as small as they are currently available so anyone running 18" wheels (like myself) or smaller can't choose these unfortunately. Hopefully Michelin will produce them in sizes below 19" in the future.

Is that just in your country? They are available from 17" to 22"