GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with GTD engine noise please.

Joem1

Hi,

First post, hope someone can help.

Bought a 63 plate GTD few months ago and is still under warranty.

Not sure if it has always done this but I’ve only noticed it in the last few weeks. When you accelerate hard through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, there is a tinny rattle from the front of the car. I would say its like a heat shield loose type rattle from previous experiance of this type of noise and i would expect to pull the suspect heat shield off and all would be well again.

Seen as its under warranty i took it back to the main dealer who said nothing was wrong until i took a technician out on a road test in it, he said “oh that noise”, “its how this type of engine sounds”.......

I wanted to believe him and he explained that it was combustion noise and what i can hear is the cylinders, and the diesel exploding blah blah blah. He then said if it was louder he would suspect an dodgy injector. Which is a suspect statement.

My thoughts are I’m not sure and feel fobbed off by VW, they might be right that’s how its meant to sound, but paranoid me doesn’t believe them.

Does anyone else’s GTD sound like this? Any advice? Hope someone can put my mind at rest.

Thanks for your time, Joe.

paul83

I got that similar sound too at the start but only noticeable when reving stationary. Took it back to dealers and no issue found. I’ve 50k on it now and no issue, could be the norm??

Joem1

Ok thanks for the reply. Mine wont do it when stationary, it has to be under load pulling hard through acceleration.

I just can’t believe I’ve paid 14k for a car to sound like it does. And if I decide to resell and someone hears it it’s not gonna be very good.

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
Sounds like just a bit of injector / combustion rattle, a lot of newish CR diesels do it especially when cold under acceleration.
Can`t say I`ve noticed it on either of the GTDs I`ve had although heard it on previous Toyotas.
Try using Shell V-Power and / or a fuel additive.

Joem1

I do use v power, never an additive though.

Odd that it only does it under foot flat to the floor acceleration, and only in 1/2/3rd. Can’t hear it in 4th.

Thanks for the reply.

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
Take it up to BigFish Tuning in Stokesly and get it remapped on the rolling road, John will tell you if alls well.

Carlos Fandango

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTD DSG
I do use v power, never an additive though.

Odd that it only does it under foot flat to the floor acceleration, and only in 1/2/3rd. Can’t hear it in 4th.

Thanks for the reply.

I think you’re wasting your money with V Power, there honestly isn’t any performance gain, it’s a placebo effect.

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
The ea288 engin in the gtd is quite a noisy engine compared to previous generation Vw Diesel engines, especially as the mileage increases. These engines do not have the noise attenuation element fitted to previous engine versions which was part of the vw emissions scandal. Can you post a video? I though that my engine had something wrong with it as it was very clattery when idling and cold, but listening to another GTD, it sounds exactly the same! They do drive well though!!

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
I think you’re wasting your money with V Power, there honestly isn’t any performance gain, it’s a placebo effect.

Best fuel you can buy, used it for years, will not use any other fuel, petrol or diesel
Recommended its use by tuner
Personally found diesel vehicles run cleaner = less regens

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
Ok thanks for the reply, sounds like a good idea. I will get in touch with them.

Always had excellent smooth and powerful remaps from John, you will get a good 220+bhp for £300 with your GTD.
Let me know how you get on ;)

nv1r

Ready to race!
Joem: Can you hear it outside? If not it's probably the soundaktor - there's a ball bearing in the soundaktor which becomes loose over time and it makes a sound like the one you're describing. Try flicking the car out of sport mode into normal mode and see if it still makes the same noise.

Joem1

Hi, thanks for the reply but it does it in eco mode and no change in any other mode. It definitely sounds like it’s from the engine itself.

Would love to have a go in another vehicle to see if their the same.