GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exactly what setting to shut off engine?

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
So the first week I have had my 2018 R it was set right - stop the car, put it in Park and the engine shuts off. I get out, lock it and go about my day. Today, after driving around with the wife for a while, it no longer does that and I must press the Start/Stop button to turn off the engine.

So we got back home and I tried several setting changes to make it shut off when put into Park but it no longer will do that and I can't for the life of me figure out which setting changed and how to get it back.

As far as I can figure, I was driving in Race mode and the transmission in S with the Start/Stop feature off though apparently Start/Stop is disabled in Race mode. But the car shut off when put into park.

I've been going over this manual for quite some time and can't seem to figure out which setting to change to make the engine go off when put into Park.

Can someone help out a lame-o and point me in the right direction?

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
Is pressing the button so hard? I have never heard of this feature, but I wouldn't want it.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I’m guessing this is an intentional feature for people who actually race. Coming back from runs you don’t want to turn off the car until it cools down a little bit. Glowing red hot turbo without oil flowing is a bad thing.

My best guess to fix this is play with the individual DCC settings. Customize it to your liking, there may be an option for start/stop?

Last edited:

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Is pressing the button so hard? I have never heard of this feature, but I wouldn't want it.
Interesting reply. Hmmm, is the button so hard to push? I would consider doing that but it's just sooooo far away. Not sure I can do that on a daily basis without causing a repetitive stress injury.

No, obviously the button is not difficult to push but the point of the question is that it worked that way initially and I thought it was a pretty decent feature but now it is not doing that. You might not want it but it actually was pretty useful so I think I want it back or at least know how to properly engage/disengage it.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Hmm, mine will only shut off when I put it in Park if the engine shut off is on for every mode except Race. I usually disable this feature when driving the car.
Yeah, I'll have to try this. Thanks. Seems the electronics are pretty convoluted in certain circumstances and there's no full logic tree or table to follow to set it all up with the right outcome. Have to figure it out on your own. I'll see if setting it this way makes this function return.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Update on my experience - I can't figure out exactly what determines this function to work or not work over the entire month I've had the car. It seems to do what it wants when it wants to which means sometimes I stop, put it in Park and the engine shuts off. Other times I do the same but have to press the stop/start button. I've even stopped, put it in Park and assumed the engine did not shut off (radio was on pretty loud) but I ended up turning the engine back ON! It just seems random and that's a bit frustrating.

As an aside, today I left it in Drive instead of using Sport on the way home and the auto start/stop function was on but not shutting the engine off at stop lights and the display told me "Engine on due to system/power needs." which I've never seen. So THAT function was not quite working as expected either. I have that off when in Race/Sport so it wasn't a problem but odd that it decided not to do so while in Drive.

Seems a few of these functions require a bit too much thought to use or not use them.

Oh well, I guess at some point I'll set it they way I want and decide to not touch anything so it stays that way but until I get there it will be a bit of a crap shoot!

Tigsel

Ready to race!
Update on my experience - I can't figure out exactly what determines this function to work or not work over the entire month I've had the car. It seems to do what it wants when it wants to which means sometimes I stop, put it in Park and the engine shuts off. Other times I do the same but have to press the stop/start button. I've even stopped, put it in Park and assumed the engine did not shut off (radio was on pretty loud) but I ended up turning the engine back ON! It just seems random and that's a bit frustrating.

As an aside, today I left it in Drive instead of using Sport on the way home and the auto start/stop function was on but not shutting the engine off at stop lights and the display told me "Engine on due to system/power needs." which I've never seen. So THAT function was not quite working as expected either. I have that off when in Race/Sport so it wasn't a problem but odd that it decided not to do so while in Drive.

Seems a few of these functions require a bit too much thought to use or not use them.

Oh well, I guess at some point I'll set it they way I want and decide to not touch anything so it stays that way but until I get there it will be a bit of a crap shoot!

Not sure about VW but in my Acura Start/stop function depends on many factors such as; battery charge level, engine temperature, AC, window defroster on, and some other factors I am probably forgetting. I am sure VW is somewhat similar.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
The turning off in park does not mean the car is off. Quite the opposite - power is still on, just the engine is off. It's not intended for you to walk away from.

adam1991

Banned
That was my thought.

I imagine if the OP looked, he'd find in the manual that this is nothing more than part of the stop-start mechanism, which has a lengthy series of criteria that have to be met for the engine to stop.

ztorc

Go Kart Newbie
The turning off in park does not mean the car is off. Quite the opposite - power is still on, just the engine is off. It's not intended for you to walk away from.

Bingo. Under my normal daily drive to work, the engine is shut off when I put in park, but I still have to press "off" before exiting the car.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Not sure about VW but in my Acura Start/stop function depends on many factors such as; battery charge level, engine temperature, AC, window defroster on, and some other factors I am probably forgetting. I am sure VW is somewhat similar.

I'm reading this thread and thought the battery was bad, then I seen your reply. A VCDS scan should show if a sensor is acting up. It doesn't even need to be a sensor, it could be a connector or wire or module. A VCDS scan should show a fault set in memory.

OP, if you don't want to invest $200 in your $40,000 car to have the opportunity to know what's going on then just take it to a dealer.

cb1111

This is clearly a problem with expectations.

The OP believes that the car divines when you want to shut the engine off and when you just want to put it in park.

The car believes that you've stopped for a light and hs activated start/stop.

In reality, there probably is a scenario where - if in stop/start - the car has figured that you actually want to shut down (opening the door?) and actually turns the car off but I'm not sure that I'd trust that.

B5AudiS4

Have you tried putting the car in park and opening the driver’s door to see if it shuts off? For some reason RACE mode doesn’t automatically disable auto start/stop like it’s supposed to (I need to do it manually).