GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need to add a bit of oil, what should i use?

KlipZ

Ready to race!
6400 miles as i parked at work this morning. I checked my engine oil last night as i had some weird engaging when going from R to D so it just reminded me i should check my oil as its still on the factory oil and a new car.

Well as expected, its a bit low. Not in the dangerous low, but a quart or so would get it up to par as i try to stretch out to the 10k service.

I cant seem to find what kind of oil VW throws in the car at the factory. Does this matter or can i just pickup a quart and go nuts?

Also, it seems the consensus is to go 5w-40?

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
6400 miles as i parked at work this morning. I checked my engine oil last night as i had some weird engaging when going from R to D so it just reminded me i should check my oil as its still on the factory oil and a new car.

Well as expected, its a bit low. Not in the dangerous low, but a quart or so would get it up to par as i try to stretch out to the 10k service.

I cant seem to find what kind of oil VW throws in the car at the factory. Does this matter or can i just pickup a quart and go nuts?

Also, it seems the consensus is to go 5w-40?

Castro edge synthetic

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Per the owner's manual, any VW 502 00-approved 5w30 or 5w40 will work.

There are also VW 502 00-approved oils in other grades (M1 0w40 is very popular), but the manual recommends those two grades.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
I believe the oil cap just has the oil logo and a picture of the manual.

Is there a big difference between 5w30 and 5w-40? Seems 5w-40 is what people tend to use for turbo cars

**Please forgive my ignorance, first turbo and really just now starting to get more into cars. Old cars i just took to the shop every 5k and let them do their thing.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I believe the oil cap just has the oil logo and a picture of the manual.

Is there a big difference between 5w30 and 5w-40? Seems 5w-40 is what people tend to use for turbo cars

**Please forgive my ignorance, first turbo and really just now starting to get more into cars. Old cars i just took to the shop every 5k and let them do their thing.

5w40 has higher viscosity at operating temperature. If you live in a temperate or hot climate it's ideal. If you live in a cold area (or in a temperate area in the winter) then 5w30 would be a fine choice. The 0 in 0w40 refers to a lower starting temp viscosity, which can benefit an engine on cold startup, and then it still acts as a 40 weight at operating temp. That's why some folks swear by the M1 0w-40 Euro car formula.

I will stick to 5w40 personally.

1. do a search and read

2. place your question in one of the existing threads

3. use either VW 502 00 or VW 504 00

4. I'd go for either 0W-30 or 0W-40 fully synthetic

5. don't let anyone fool you, you can mix these oils without issues

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
1. do a search and read

2. place your question in one of the existing threads

3. use either VW 502 00 or VW 504 00

4. I'd go for either 0W-30 or 0W-40 fully synthetic

5. don't let anyone fool you, you can mix these oils without issues

You were supposed to say RTFM.

And then the OP is supposed to ask, "what is RTFM?"

And then we all laugh.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
If it's dealer or factory oil, just use Castrol 5w/0w-40 and call it a day.

You don't have to perfectly match oil if you're just topping up a bit.

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
I prefer 0W40 (actually I'd go for 0W30, but there's not enough consensus to risk it on my own car). I did not see oil use yet, insufficient mileage to judge though.
BTW, I've just got a 5qts can of Castrol Edge at Walmart. 3$ less less than Mobil1, wider (than older Castrol cans) diameter opening (so easier to pour in used oil from the pan) and "made in Belgium" ("European formula" so hopefully synthetic is really a synthetic).

surfstar

Ready to race!
I prefer 0W40 (actually I'd go for 0W30, but there's not enough consensus to risk it on my own car). I did not see oil use yet, insufficient mileage to judge though.
BTW, I've just got a 5qts can of Castrol Edge at Walmart. 3$ less less than Mobil1, wider (than older Castrol cans) diameter opening (so easier to pour in used oil from the pan) and "made in Belgium" ("European formula" so hopefully synthetic is really a synthetic).

M1 0w40 is a "thin" 40, so its nearly a 0w30.
Castrol does make a 0w30 that is 502 (might be hard to find, though)
http://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united...dge/edge-product-range/edge-product-page.html

Finally, M1 has a $12 rebate, so its the cheapest 502 oil you can run, which is why I use it.

As long as the oil meets VW 502, you can use it without worry.