Aggressive wheel fitment thread/stance

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Yeah I'll check for numbers on them.

And by careless you mean...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Up a driveway too fast, dip or speed bump at speed with the wheel cranked. Only common rubbing I ever had in my past car was bumps in hard corners, but that was just tire to fender liner, which is no big deal.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

YellowC4S

Ready to race!
What offset do I want on an 19x9 BC Wheels HB05 wheel with an Alcon Extreme 380mm BBK, 235/35/19 MPSS and VWR springs on a MKVII Golf R to sit flush?

Thank you in advance

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
What offset do I want on an 19x9 BC Wheels HB05 wheel with an Alcon Extreme 380mm BBK, 235/35/19 MPSS and VWR springs on a MKVII Golf R to sit flush?

Thank you in advance
ET 45 -ish. Maybe. Maybe not.

What were you thinking? [emoji19]

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Also, before anyone else says it, the last few pages have been helpful, productive and informational, but they haven't been aggressive haha.

When we keep talking about wheels that are basically VW specific fitment, we are waaaaay safe. Not saying I'm going to bump the trend but I'm just sayin'. ?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Stolen from vortex:
Avant Garde M580 in red. 20x8.5 ET35. 225/30.

Suspension: Accuair Air ride

FTG: Unknown

This is winning.

Otherwise gotta say nothing in here is really wow'ing me :( Such a stancable car but so hard to find the right wheels for it!

coleylikesbacon

Ready to race!

Thank you in advance

ET-45 for the win. 235 will be a hair away from your rear shock, but no rubbing with drop springs if you're re-aligned with stock'ish rear camber.

Snoball

Passed Driver's Ed
So.... I'm blue in the face after reading so much and trying to find answers, so I'll go ahead and post.

I'm currently running 235/40/18 on Niche Misano 18x8 ET 42mm with ED Springs on my 2015 MK7. I've done the fender screw mod; removed screw and clip and folded the liner above the metal. I'm still rubbing! Any dip/rise I rub for the most part. It's mainly the drivers side but the passenger side too.

Strut bearing has small crack from someone mis-aligning on the initial tightening, but I don't think this would cause the rubbing. I would prefer not to roll my fenders, but can't think of why this is happening as my setup is not very aggressive at all. I will be getting new tires in the spring as these ones are about to be moved to my RX8, however I would like to go back to the same sizing.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you again!

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
So.... I'm blue in the face after reading so much and trying to find answers, so I'll go ahead and post.

I'm currently running 235/40/18 on Niche Misano 18x8 ET 42mm with ED Springs on my 2015 MK7. I've done the fender screw mod; removed screw and clip and folded the liner above the metal. I'm still rubbing! Any dip/rise I rub for the most part. It's mainly the drivers side but the passenger side too.

Strut bearing has small crack from someone mis-aligning on the initial tightening, but I don't think this would cause the rubbing. I would prefer not to roll my fenders, but can't think of why this is happening as my setup is not very aggressive at all. I will be getting new tires in the spring as these ones are about to be moved to my RX8, however I would like to go back to the same sizing.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you again!
Only thing I can think of is combo of tire brand/model, or alignment. Are your fender gaps even? What are your fender to ground measurements?

YellowC4S

Ready to race!
ET 45 -ish. Maybe. Maybe not.
Thanks loads. I've just gotta have these brakes and these wheels. I don't suppose you would know if and/or what size spacer would be needed for the factory Cadiz or Pretoria wheels to clear the brakes? I intend to put snows on the factory wheels.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Thanks loads. I've just gotta have these brakes and these wheels. I don't suppose you would know if and/or what size spacer would be needed for the factory Cadiz or Pretoria wheels to clear the brakes? I intend to put snows on the factory wheels.
No worries, it's a pretty common offset, you could tune that a bit if you're going custom. Check out the Neuspeed website, they do a few 9" wide ET 45 options.

I dont know about BBK spacers, but unless you have tire clearance issues from snows, you can run 10-15mm spacers on stock wheels/tires with mild lowering springs. Check with Alcon and see if they have a template, that's extremely helpful.

KCchiefin

Ready to race!
Also, before anyone else says it, the last few pages have been helpful, productive and informational, but they haven't been aggressive haha.

When we keep talking about wheels that are basically VW specific fitment, we are waaaaay safe. Not saying I'm going to bump the trend but I'm just sayin'. ��

I was just thinking the same thing seeing the 8, 8.5, & 9" widths. Aggressive to me is like 9.5"+

FWIW I'm about 1/2" away from max low w/ my ST coils and after some hard driving up the mountains last month I didn't rub once (18x9.5 et40 square). I've even been considering going lower and seeing how much I can get away with before I start rubbing.

Specs:
18x9.5 et40 square
225/40/18
ST X coilovers

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I was just thinking the same thing seeing the 8, 8.5, & 9" widths. Aggressive to me is like 9.5"+

FWIW I'm about 1/2" away from max low w/ my ST coils and after some hard driving up the mountains last month I didn't rub once (18x9.5 et40 square). I've even been considering going lower and seeing how much I can get away with before I start rubbing.

Even if it's not wide, aggressive fitment can be two things:

Function - Wide wheels and tires for the purpose of grip for track days or drag strip

Form - Low ride height and lower offsets for visual effect

They can definitely cross paths, but I think the spirit of this thread was for slammed or bagged cars, tucked and stretched, etc. Not being a hater, because good info has been exchanged here, this just might not be the most appropriate thread for more common fitment questions.

You should post your whole specs for reference: Wheel specs, suspension, FTG measurement, Camber specs, fender work, whatever you've got! I'd bet your tire size and alignment play a big part in your car not rubbing, plus stiffer springs. Your car looks great, and if it works well for a car that gets driven and not just parked, that's good info to have if people want your look.

arres

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 Golf R
Maybe start another thread: Non-Aggressive Fitment thread. Us "conservatives" need help, too [emoji14]

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Maybe start another thread: Non-Aggressive Fitment thread. Us "conservatives" need help, too [emoji14]

It might not be 14 pages of concise posts but effectively this whole subforum is the non-aggressive thread :D

I think we can all peacefully coexist until someone comes in and makes an opinionated statement about slammed/stanced/bagged/whatever cars and it turns into a pissing match about "ruining" your car. :rolleyes:

Ever seen a thread about a bagged Golf R? That goes ugly with opinions RIGHT QUICK haha.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Could be the profile of the tire brand/model that's causing it, but unless you're well beyond -2 degrees camber in the rear you've got more adjustment that can be done. Pretty sure I've seen nearly -3 degrees on stock part's in the rear, without adjustable upper arms.

Can you post a pic?

https://imgur.com/a/SJYx3

Hopefully this helps. The first one is the driver side which is fine. The rest are from the passenger side which has the rubbing issue.
on that last pic, thats not just mud on the fender bottom. Its actually had the paint rubbed clean off. so the mud can stick