GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Golf R Discussions

Old 04-08-2018, 05:25 AM   #1
kevinkar

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Question Exactly what setting to shut off engine?

So the first week I have had my 2018 R it was set right - stop the car, put it in Park and the engine shuts off. I get out, lock it and go about my day. Today, after driving around with the wife for a while, it no longer does that and I must press the Start/Stop button to turn off the engine.

So we got back home and I tried several setting changes to make it shut off when put into Park but it no longer will do that and I can't for the life of me figure out which setting changed and how to get it back.

As far as I can figure, I was driving in Race mode and the transmission in S with the Start/Stop feature off though apparently Start/Stop is disabled in Race mode. But the car shut off when put into park.

I've been going over this manual for quite some time and can't seem to figure out which setting to change to make the engine go off when put into Park.

Can someone help out a lame-o and point me in the right direction?
Old 04-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
dwvw

Drives: 2015 GTI, 1987 BMW E30, 1965VW Beetle
Is pressing the button so hard? I have never heard of this feature, but I wouldn't want it.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
adam1991
Banned

Drives: GTI Mk7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwvw View Post
Is pressing the button so hard? I have never heard of this feature, but I wouldn't want it.
This.
adam1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
Dark Violet R

Hmm, mine will only shut off when I put it in Park if the engine shut off is on for every mode except Race. I usually disable this feature when driving the car.
Dark Violet R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
Triton

Drives: 2016 Golf R
I’m guessing this is an intentional feature for people who actually race. Coming back from runs you don’t want to turn off the car until it cools down a little bit. Glowing red hot turbo without oil flowing is a bad thing.

My best guess to fix this is play with the individual DCC settings. Customize it to your liking, there may be an option for start/stop?

16' LB R | DSG | APR Stage II HT |
11' SB GTI | DSG | APR v3.1 | CTS K04 |
06' BM GTI | 3 Pedal | Stockish |

Last edited by Triton; 04-08-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
kevinkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwvw View Post
Interesting reply. Hmmm, is the button so hard to push? I would consider doing that but it's just sooooo far away. Not sure I can do that on a daily basis without causing a repetitive stress injury.

No, obviously the button is not difficult to push but the point of the question is that it worked that way initially and I thought it was a pretty decent feature but now it is not doing that. You might not want it but it actually was pretty useful so I think I want it back or at least know how to properly engage/disengage it.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #7
kevinkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Violet R View Post
Hmm, mine will only shut off when I put it in Park if the engine shut off is on for every mode except Race. I usually disable this feature when driving the car.
Yeah, I'll have to try this. Thanks. Seems the electronics are pretty convoluted in certain circumstances and there's no full logic tree or table to follow to set it all up with the right outcome. Have to figure it out on your own. I'll see if setting it this way makes this function return.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:33 AM   #8
kevinkar

Update on my experience - I can't figure out exactly what determines this function to work or not work over the entire month I've had the car. It seems to do what it wants when it wants to which means sometimes I stop, put it in Park and the engine shuts off. Other times I do the same but have to press the stop/start button. I've even stopped, put it in Park and assumed the engine did not shut off (radio was on pretty loud) but I ended up turning the engine back ON! It just seems random and that's a bit frustrating.

As an aside, today I left it in Drive instead of using Sport on the way home and the auto start/stop function was on but not shutting the engine off at stop lights and the display told me "Engine on due to system/power needs." which I've never seen. So THAT function was not quite working as expected either. I have that off when in Race/Sport so it wasn't a problem but odd that it decided not to do so while in Drive.

Seems a few of these functions require a bit too much thought to use or not use them.

Oh well, I guess at some point I'll set it they way I want and decide to not touch anything so it stays that way but until I get there it will be a bit of a crap shoot!
Old 05-02-2018, 07:41 AM   #9
Tigsel

Drives: 2016 Golf R 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkar View Post
Update on my experience - I can't figure out exactly what determines this function to work or not work over the entire month I've had the car. It seems to do what it wants when it wants to which means sometimes I stop, put it in Park and the engine shuts off. Other times I do the same but have to press the stop/start button. I've even stopped, put it in Park and assumed the engine did not shut off (radio was on pretty loud) but I ended up turning the engine back ON! It just seems random and that's a bit frustrating.

As an aside, today I left it in Drive instead of using Sport on the way home and the auto start/stop function was on but not shutting the engine off at stop lights and the display told me "Engine on due to system/power needs." which I've never seen. So THAT function was not quite working as expected either. I have that off when in Race/Sport so it wasn't a problem but odd that it decided not to do so while in Drive.

Seems a few of these functions require a bit too much thought to use or not use them.

Oh well, I guess at some point I'll set it they way I want and decide to not touch anything so it stays that way but until I get there it will be a bit of a crap shoot!
Not sure about VW but in my Acura Start/stop function depends on many factors such as; battery charge level, engine temperature, AC, window defroster on, and some other factors I am probably forgetting. I am sure VW is somewhat similar.
Tigsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #10
abt12

Drives: 2017 Golf R
The turning off in park does not mean the car is off. Quite the opposite - power is still on, just the engine is off. It's not intended for you to walk away from.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #11
adam1991
Banned

Drives: GTI Mk7
That was my thought.

I imagine if the OP looked, he'd find in the manual that this is nothing more than part of the stop-start mechanism, which has a lengthy series of criteria that have to be met for the engine to stop.
adam1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #12
ztorc

Drives: 2018 Golf R DSG and 370Z MT6 Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by abt12 View Post
The turning off in park does not mean the car is off. Quite the opposite - power is still on, just the engine is off. It's not intended for you to walk away from.
Bingo. Under my normal daily drive to work, the engine is shut off when I put in park, but I still have to press "off" before exiting the car.
ztorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #13
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigsel View Post
Not sure about VW but in my Acura Start/stop function depends on many factors such as; battery charge level, engine temperature, AC, window defroster on, and some other factors I am probably forgetting. I am sure VW is somewhat similar.
I'm reading this thread and thought the battery was bad, then I seen your reply. A VCDS scan should show if a sensor is acting up. It doesn't even need to be a sensor, it could be a connector or wire or module. A VCDS scan should show a fault set in memory.

OP, if you don't want to invest $200 in your $40,000 car to have the opportunity to know what's going on then just take it to a dealer.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #14
CB1111

Drives: GTI
This is clearly a problem with expectations.

The OP believes that the car divines when you want to shut the engine off and when you just want to put it in park.

The car believes that you've stopped for a light and hs activated start/stop.

In reality, there probably is a scenario where - if in stop/start - the car has figured that you actually want to shut down (opening the door?) and actually turns the car off but I'm not sure that I'd trust that.
CB1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #15
B5AudiS4

Drives: 00 Hibiscus Red 6sp Audi S4 & 18 Lapiz DSG Golf R
Have you tried putting the car in park and opening the driverís door to see if it shuts off? For some reason RACE mode doesnít automatically disable auto start/stop like itís supposed to (I need to do it manually).
B5AudiS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:04 AM   #16
Mk7Will

Drives: MK7.5 Indium Grey 6MT Golf R
Try parking with no accessories on such as your ac. The start stop feature on your car works with a lot variables to make sure you are not drawing too
many amps for the feature to work.
Mk7Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:09 AM   #17
kevinkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
I imagine if the OP looked, he'd find in the manual that this is nothing more than part of the stop-start mechanism
Oooh. My first "RTFM" here in this forum. Thanks! You should know I did read the manual and I have yet to find where it says the engine WILL shut off when simply placing the shift lever into Park. In fact, shifting into Park is only step 3 of the "Stopping the engine" procedure and step 5 is press the Start/Stop button. So as best I can tell it shouldn't shut off unless I press the button but it does some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
OP, if you don't want to invest $200 in your $40,000 car to have the opportunity to know what's going on then just take it to a dealer.
Not really the point here but it's definitely cheaper to ask if someone knows the answer first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1111 View Post
This is clearly a problem with expectations.
That's only partially true. I expect a car to work *normally* and not do one thing one day and another thing the next day when I didn't do anything different. In my case, different days bring different outcomes which is not how a car should normally work.

Quote:
The OP believes that the car divines when you want to shut the engine off and when you just want to put it in park.
That is not what I said. I said it's doing what it wants when it wants to and I'm trying to understand what that is. It should not necessarily shut the engine off if I put it in Park. However.....

Quote:
The car believes that you've stopped for a light and has activated start/stop.
Perhaps this is what's happening. I will experiment by stopping in my parking spot and see if it shuts off before I put it in Park (though it shouldn't if I'm in Race.) If so, it's the driving stop/start function. If it stays on but goes off when moving to Park, that's different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk7Will View Post
Try parking with no accessories on such as your ac. The start stop feature on your car works with a lot variables to make sure you are not drawing too many amps for the feature to work.
Yes, this is part of the confusion here. I drive from work to home with only the radio on so should not be drawing too many amps (partly why I asked in the other thread about a voltmeter) and the regular driving around start/stop should work normally. All the criteria in the manual are being met as far as I can tell and the only one I can't check while driving is the battery voltage (no voltmeter readout!)

Well, I'll just keep driving and see how it goes. Still, this seems to have more complexity to it than there should be. Just trying to get that all worked out.

Thanks