GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Regional Forums > California

Old 07-10-2018, 09:29 PM   #52
MeltedSolid

Drives: Mk7 Golf TSI Launch Edition
So the clutch is scheduled to arrive at my house Friday, and I have work starting at 5:00 pm both Friday and Saturday, then 4:00 pm Sunday. What about starting early(ish) Saturday and trying to be done by the time I go to work Sunday? I can also bring along a group of friends.
2015 TSI Launch Edition | Deep Black | 5-spd manual | APR Stage 1 + JB4 + IS20 swap | DIY Turbo Muffler Delete | 17" Enkei RPF1's | 034 dogbone insert V1 | BC Racing BR series Coilovers | ST 25mm rear sway bar | DIY HD Clutch Stop | NGK RS7 Spark Plugs | VWR Catted Downpipe | South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch | BFI Stage 2 engine/transmission mounts
MeltedSolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:53 PM   #53
Wrath And Tears

Drives: 17 Sport DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltedSolid View Post
So the clutch is scheduled to arrive at my house Friday, and I have work starting at 5:00 pm both Friday and Saturday, then 4:00 pm Sunday. What about starting early(ish) Saturday and trying to be done by the time I go to work Sunday? I can also bring along a group of friends.
That's totally doable. Seriously the hardest part is removing and reinstalling the trans. The rest of it is just simple nuts and bolts. Pretty sure I've passed you a few times on the MV overpass to Strawberry. I would hear you before I saw you. And all I saw was a black mk7, couldn't see if it was a GTI or Golf.

So looks like Melted and I have a plan for some car work this weekend. Not 100% sure that more than one rack will be free, but if others want to swing by and use the shop air oil extractor for an oil change or anything like that feel free to contact me.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:43 AM   #54
MeltedSolid

Possibly. I'm not very loud, but that overpass is where I gun it occasionally. I know there's a black golf R with an exhaust somewhere in Mill Valley.
2015 TSI Launch Edition | Deep Black | 5-spd manual | APR Stage 1 + JB4 + IS20 swap | DIY Turbo Muffler Delete | 17" Enkei RPF1's | 034 dogbone insert V1 | BC Racing BR series Coilovers | ST 25mm rear sway bar | DIY HD Clutch Stop | NGK RS7 Spark Plugs | VWR Catted Downpipe | South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch | BFI Stage 2 engine/transmission mounts

Last edited by MeltedSolid; 07-12-2018 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #55
Will_

Drives: MK7 GTI S DSG
I will be attending Fairfield Cars and Coffee this Saturday at 8am as well as Vacaville Cars and Coffee Sunday at 8am. Would be great to see another GTI out there! I'm usually the only one.

I also will be going to Wednesday night drags the 25th, at least thats the plan for now.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:57 AM   #56
Wrath And Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_ View Post
I will be attending Fairfield Cars and Coffee this Saturday at 8am as well as Vacaville Cars and Coffee Sunday at 8am. Would be great to see another GTI out there! I'm usually the only one.

I also will be going to Wednesday night drags the 25th, at least thats the plan for now.
I might be able to make the Vacaville one. Saturday Metal and I will be busy, possibly Sunday morning as well, but hopefully not.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #57
MeltedSolid

Clutch is in and everything is working great! Thanks, Wrath.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:55 AM   #58
Sparky589

Drives: Mk7 Golf TSi
Had a chance to ride in Melted's golf and all I have to say is wow! These stage 2 mounts really are no joke, and with the gearing of the five speed being like it is none of that NVH I experienced on my ride got through to the cabin. Clutch is sharp as a tack now, and we can't wait to break it in so we can get a run up at Sonoma.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
2016 TSI | Platinum Gray | 6-spd slush | APR IS20 w/DP | APR Downpipe | AWE Track Exhaust | Vibrant 17930 | VWR R600 | BFI Stage 2 Mount Kit | BC BR Coilovers | Konig Ampliform | 034 Front + Rear Sway Bar | Michelin P4s
Sparky589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:28 AM   #59
Wrath And Tears

Awesome, glad to help out. It was fun! I figure when the time comes for me to do something crazy hopefully I can convince one of you to help out. The work went so fast and it seemed way less stressful than when I mod my car by myself. Melted needs to add the mounts to his sig
Old 07-16-2018, 06:30 AM   #60
Sparky589

It's funny, all my major mods have been done over at a friend's house (he has the better garage). Honestly having someone to lend a pair of hands or a bit of a different perspective is invaluable. Not to mention it's nice to have someone to chat with when doing the menial stuff.

Frankly I don't know if I could have completed my turbo install by myself had it not been for having melted on a voice call and my other friend in the garage. Really helped calm my nerves, especially since it was my first time ever dealing with undoing plumbing in a car.

Besides, it's always nice to go out and get a celebratory meal in the car once you're done with the install

2016 TSI | Platinum Gray | 6-spd slush | APR IS20 w/DP | APR Downpipe | AWE Track Exhaust | Vibrant 17930 | VWR R600 | BFI Stage 2 Mount Kit | BC BR Coilovers | Konig Ampliform | 034 Front + Rear Sway Bar | Michelin P4s
Old 07-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #61
Copernicus

Drives: Volkswagen Golf GTI Autobahn MK7.5
Hey all, just purchased a Golf GTI MK7.5 and I love it so far. I was curious to see how the Golf community was in the bay area and I stumbled upon this forum. Do you all have meetups? Let me know!
Copernicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #62
MeltedSolid

At the moment we don't really have meetups beyond going to the Sonoma Raceway dragstrip, but that could be open to change.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:48 AM   #63
Wrath And Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Hey all, just purchased a Golf GTI MK7.5 and I love it so far. I was curious to see how the Golf community was in the bay area and I stumbled upon this forum. Do you all have meetups? Let me know!
What part of the bay are you located in? It would be great to do a meetup this weekend. I was trying to get something going, but response has been minimal.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:15 AM   #64
Sparky589

For once I'm actually free, I have all of Saturday off as well as Sunday afternoon. Would love to meet up somewhere for a drive.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:43 AM   #65
Wrath And Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky589 View Post
For once I'm actually free, I have all of Saturday off as well as Sunday afternoon. Would love to meet up somewhere for a drive.

Awesome, hopefully more people chime in. I guess posting somewhere in GD to get some more advertisement for the local folks who don't always make it down here in the forum would help.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:46 PM   #66
MeltedSolid

I've got next Saturday off too, yea, lets do something.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:50 PM   #67
Copernicus

Drives: Volkswagen Golf GTI Autobahn MK7.5
Im looking to see what you all would recommend for the first modifications I will install on the GTI. Im getting the windows tinted next weekend so thats already being taken care of. Any suggestions? I was also looking into the APR Plus Tune or the APR Stage 1 or 2. Does anyone have experience with these tunes/ know the long term affects it has on your vehicle? Any information or suggestion would help!
Copernicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:57 AM   #68
Wrath And Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Im looking to see what you all would recommend for the first modifications I will install on the GTI. Im getting the windows tinted next weekend so thats already being taken care of. Any suggestions? I was also looking into the APR Plus Tune or the APR Stage 1 or 2. Does anyone have experience with these tunes/ know the long term affects it has on your vehicle? Any information or suggestion would help!
Best first mods are light weight wheels and good tires. After that a dogbone mount to help put the stock power to the ground is a good idea. If you want to tune and keep your factory warranty, a piggyback is your best option. It violates your warranty, but isn't detectable, unlike a flash tune (APR or other). If you want a flash tune, the APR plus is your best option if you want a warranty. It won't be the factory warranty, but rather APR's warranty which can be a hassle to deal with.

As with any power modifications, adding additional horsepower can end with a blown engine or turbo. If you want to modify the car, it become a pay to play game. Get ready to pay out of pocket if something goes wrong.

So a list:

1. Lightweight wheels
2. Good tires (we can run summer tires all year long here in the Bay)
3. Dogbone (also engine and trans mount upgrades if desired)
4. Tune or Piggyback
5. Intercooler
6. Suspension (coilovers or upgraded struts and springs)
7. Sway bars
8. Larger Turbo
9. Upgraded fueling (E85)
10. Meth
11. If you went with a off the self tune, you would need a custom tune by this point.

This isn't an end all be all, and some things are out of order depending who you talk to, but a general list of suggestions.

Edit: That is also assuming DSG, if manual a clutch would be needed before or after a tune depending on your preference.

Last edited by Wrath And Tears; 07-20-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Wrath And Tears is offline   Reply With Quote