GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Regional Forums > California

Old 05-11-2018, 02:51 AM   #35
Sparky589

Drives: Mk7 Golf TSi
I'd absolutely be down for a meet on the weekend. I'm hoping to make it to the drag strip but my schedule is all over the place.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
2016 TSI | Platinum Gray | 6-spd slush | APR IS20 w/DP | APR Downpipe | AWE Track Exhaust | Vibrant 17930 | VWR R600 | BFI Stage 2 Mount Kit | BC BR Coilovers | Konig Ampliform | 034 Front + Rear Sway Bar | Michelin P4s
Sparky589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:14 AM   #36
Wrath And Tears

Drives: 17 Sport DSG
Got my car back, so I'm gonna try to take off some time from work on Wednesday to make it to the drags to watch MeltedSolid get that WR as well as drag my stock power GTI (It would be awesome to run against him or my coworker with the CLK55, who managed to find this thread and identify me, that was embarrassing ). This will be my first official 1/4 mile. I'll probably just use LC in manual mode or S and see what I get. The only thing I know is to avoid the water tank because there is no reason to heat up street tires. It doesn't get you additional grip, on street tires.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #37
MeltedSolid

Drives: Mk7 Golf TSI Launch Edition
I was wondering what I should do about the water pit. In the past I have gone back and forth with doing a burnout and not, and haven't seen any difference in my 60' times. I now have better tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports), so I don't know if it will be worth it to at least get them a little warm before the pass. Anyone with a lot more personal experience with this specific thing? I know the Australians would balk at the idea of not doing a burnout no matter your tires.
2015 TSI Launch Edition | Deep Black | 5-spd manual | APR Stage 1 + JB4 + IS20 swap | DIY Turbo Muffler Delete | 17" Enkei RPF1's | 034 dogbone insert V1 | BC Racing BR series Coilovers | ST 25mm rear sway bar | DIY HD Clutch Stop | NGK RS7 Spark Plugs | VWR Catted Downpipe | South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch | BFI Stage 2 engine/transmission mounts
MeltedSolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:52 AM   #38
MeltedSolid

I'll see anyone who's going to Wednesday night drags tomorrow! I'm going to try to arrive right at 3:30. I'm the black 2 door missing the passenger and rear seats and likely missing a catback. Hopefully they don't make me put it back on for sound regulation... I normally go in the stick shift class, but I'll probably go in the sport street class this time so I can race against any other mk7.
2015 TSI Launch Edition | Deep Black | 5-spd manual | APR Stage 1 + JB4 + IS20 swap | DIY Turbo Muffler Delete | 17" Enkei RPF1's | 034 dogbone insert V1 | BC Racing BR series Coilovers | ST 25mm rear sway bar | DIY HD Clutch Stop | NGK RS7 Spark Plugs | VWR Catted Downpipe | South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch | BFI Stage 2 engine/transmission mounts
Old 05-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #39
Slapshot

Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport DSG (bone stock!)
What’s up guys! I’m in the East bay (Danville) and would love to meet up with some other GTI enthusiasts.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:54 AM   #40
MeltedSolid

Wrath, you don't by a chance think that a clutch swap would be out of the realm of possibility for local weekend work, do you? I'm gonna be getting a new clutch real soon...
Old 05-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #41
Wrath And Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltedSolid View Post
Wrath, you don't by a chance think that a clutch swap would be out of the realm of possibility for local weekend work, do you? I'm gonna be getting a new clutch real soon...
With two guys I don't think it would be too hard. There are some tricks to make pulling the trans really easy assuming they still work on the car. I'll have to check it out today when I have the car in the air looking at something else for another member. I have the factory engine crossbar and and a universal trans jack, although when I did a MK6 DSG me and a coworker just lifted it out and in by hand. Good time for a fluid change as well, helps lighten the trans

Sorry I didn't get to make it out to the strip. It was supposed to be my day off, but I managed to find 9 hours of work that just swamped me, but its money in the bank. My cowoker made it up though.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #42
MeltedSolid

Yea, it's definitely brake fluid flush time as well. Alright, sounds good! I'll send you a message when I have my new clutch, those tools sound like they will be invaluable.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:11 AM   #43
Wrath And Tears

Quote:
Yea, it's definitely brake fluid flush time as well. Alright, sounds good! I'll send you a message when I have my new clutch, those tools sound like they will be invaluable.
Cool cool. We should probably be able to get it done in a day. I suck at re-aligning the transmission to get it reinstalled, but I get better with each clutch job, and having a second person always makes it go smoother.

Might I recommend the DKM stage 3 twin disc? For true power as well as DD-ability, twin discs are the best clutches to run. Hold the most power as well as retains nearly stock pedal feel. There's a whole thread about it.

The shop also has flywheel holders, presses / pullers for bearings, and a good digital torque wrench that does angles and all that good stuff. So as long as we can find all the torque specs, hahaha, we are golden.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #44
MeltedSolid

Unfortunately I don't think there are any DKM clutches or twin disk clutches for my transmission. I think only haus of dub, SouthBend, and Spec make clutches for my transmission, and my plan is to go with the SouthBend Stage 2 Endurance.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #45
OaklandGTI

Drives: 2016 GT SE w/PP, LP & DCC
Oakland guy here checking in.
But then again you guys probably knew that from my screen name.

Depending upon the day/time, a meet up sounds fun.

BTW, I'm a photographer in case anyone might want a shot of their rides.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #46
Gogo GTI

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
I think I saw you going down Grand Ave. once. CSG with legacy plates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gogo GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #47
Sparky589

Drives: Mk7 Golf TSi
For anyone interested Melted and I are planning to hit up the Sonoma dragstrip again this coming Wednesday. It'll just be me on the line this time since Melted's poor clutch gave up on him at the dragstrip (honestly we're both impressed it made it as far as it did).

Still, even that wasn't enough to stop him from beating a WRX STI off the line.
2016 TSI | Platinum Gray | 6-spd slush | APR IS20 w/DP | APR Downpipe | AWE Track Exhaust | Vibrant 17930 | VWR R600 | BFI Stage 2 Mount Kit | BC BR Coilovers | Konig Ampliform | 034 Front + Rear Sway Bar | Michelin P4s
Sparky589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:59 PM   #48
PacDawg

Drives: 2016 GTI / 2008 Acura RDX
Quote:
I was wondering what I should do about the water pit. In the past I have gone back and forth with doing a burnout and not, and haven't seen any difference in my 60' times. I now have better tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports), so I don't know if it will be worth it to at least get them a little warm before the pass. Anyone with a lot more personal experience with this specific thing? I know the Australians would balk at the idea of not doing a burnout no matter your tires.
Go through water box only if you are running slicks. Go around if on street tires. You can do a small burnout if you want to just clean off tires.
2016 GTI S DSG | 5150 IHX475 ECU & APR TCU Tune | ECS Intake | Unitronic Intercooler | Circuit Werks DP | VWR Exhaust | Precision Raceworks LPFP | CTS TIP | Kosie K8R | VWR Springs | Llumar CTX 35% Tint
11.2 @ 122 mph IS38 5150
11.2 @ 125 mph IHX475 5150
PacDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:33 AM   #49
Wrath And Tears

Alright guys, things have settled down with my car more or less. Lets get a met up going. Who is free this weekend or next weekend? Does weekends not work for some people? Let me know via a post here or PM. Feel free to invite other VWAG friends if you have them. Once we know who is free and wants to meet up we can plan a place to meet and a drive or whatever. Happy Monday!
Wrath And Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:57 AM   #50
MeltedSolid

I can do mid-day on the weekends, if that works.

Also, it was a bit of a delay (which is okay because sonoma sucks this time of year), but I finally ordered my clutch. If you're still willing to open your shop to friendly mk7's on the weekends.

Another also, I recently helped a friend install a bigger turbo on his Hyundai elantra sport (wow it's so much harder than on my car), and he might be wanting to take that to the drag strip soon too.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:34 AM   #51
Wrath And Tears

Quote:
I can do mid-day on the weekends, if that works.

Also, it was a bit of a delay (which is okay because sonoma sucks this time of year), but I finally ordered my clutch. If you're still willing to open your shop to friendly mk7's on the weekends.

Another also, I recently helped a friend install a bigger turbo on his Hyundai elantra sport (wow it's so much harder than on my car), and he might be wanting to take that to the drag strip soon too.
Yeah man, let me know when you want to do it. I'm sure my cowoker would be game to help out, he's done a few VW MT's compared to my one DSG removal. He is always in the shop on the weekends. Not that we couldn't get it done ourselves, but with him helping it would take no time at all.

We could start this Friday after 5 if you want, finish up Saturday depending how late we feel like working. Also if we end up needing extra stuff, our local parts supplier is open on Saturdays.