GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

View Poll Results: Tough guy or waver?
Tough Guy 58 20.35%
Waver 227 79.65%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2017, 05:26 AM   #69
Cruiser

Drives: GTI MK7
Learning to be a waver, cuz I'm new still.
A gti was honkin at me one day, caught me off guard, and was too late to acknowledge. I think it's cool, I wanna be a waver
Old 03-08-2017, 05:38 AM   #70
railroader

Drives: 2016 GTI Autobahn DP,Water/meth,turbo inlet pipe
I'm a waiver. It's like Corvette owners lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
IS38, Ceramic Coated and DEI wrapped APR DP catless, turbo inlet pipe, PTP IS38 turbo blanket, Coolingmist water/meth, I.E. Intercooler,DKM Twin DIsk clutch, I.E full closed CAI, cts silicone intake hose, spulen short shift f/b s/s, 034 solid bushing set, Spulen charge pipe
railroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:09 AM   #71
SK VeeDubR

Drives: MKVII R / MK7 1.8TSI
I wave like their car is on fire until they see me.. then I play 'tough guy'.

Check out my 1.8T car journal - The CHIMERA - if you like OEM+!
SK VeeDubR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #72
PouncingPanzer

Drives: White '17 GTI Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
The more prevalent a marque becomes the less likely you are to get a wave. Not to sound like a snob but I don't think there is enough exclusivity to engage in the practice. Consequently, I don't even think about it. Just my 2
Fair point, but if the millions of Jeeps can, the thousands of GTIs should. At least the ratio here seems to be, but the Jeeps are built right down the road haha.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #73
PouncingPanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_Gti View Post
Nobody waves at me ever neither do I wave at others but I loved it when I rode my motorcycle and there were that camaraderie. If you broke down there were always another rider to help you for example.
Maybe is time to start a trend...
I'm trying too! I wave at every GTI of every gen. R owners have just smirked, sorta like "look at that peasant." Lol.

The poll results are pleasing at least by %.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #74
Litespeedgti

Drives: 2015 GTI
I also own a 97 Jeep Wrangler and Jeep folks wave all the time! I don't see GTI waves coming at me when I'm in my GTI .I always try to wave to my fellow VDubbers.
Litespeedgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #75
cal45

Drives: 2016 Golf R Oryx
Well, coming from a ZL1 Camaro, there were more waves from fellow Camaro owners which I participated in (also owned a C5 Vette where the wave is common practice). Now as I have an R as my daily diver, have not noticed the waves here in FL from the GTI/R crowd. I did try the wave a few times I spotted a GTI across from me but did not receive a response - not even sure the other driver spotted me. One thing is that just about every GTI/R I have noticed has dark tints (a must here in FL) and it makes it much more difficult to actually see inside another car across the way......so I may be guilty of being a "tough guy" and not waving at times as I never saw it.

Last edited by cal45; 03-08-2017 at 01:38 PM.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #76
Peppy2

Drives: Mk7

Usually hit em with one of these..

Especially if their car is nicer than mine..

Last edited by Peppy2; 04-02-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Peppy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #77
BlueHen

Drives: 2015 GSW TDI; 2011 BMW 335d
I'm a tough guy, but sometimes I waiver.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #78
TechRoss

Drives: Mk 7 GTi Clubsport, Audi Q5 S-Line
I had a different experience the other day, rush hour freeway traffic so just cruising. Saw the WRX doing the crazy zig zag in out traffic thing in the mirror. When he got next to me, wound down the window, biggest grin I have ever seen, and a big thumbs up. Then dropped back and drove like everybody else. Maybe wanted to see what the GTI with the big rear spoiler was.
TechRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #79
PouncingPanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobtfu View Post
I think it's the lack of wave comes from too many people having golfs and GTIs as daily drivers. When I hade the wrx everyone waved, never been in a car that was a universal wave as much as then.
So I've heard. Why is that though? Why is it a performance badge from Subi seems to have more hardcore owners then what is often considered the equivilent from VW? I mean, prices are about the same for trim levels...it isn't like the WRX is more exclusive to anyone. Just weird to me that somebody who just wants a Golf, would spend the extra on a GTI, without wholeheartedly wanted a GTI specifically. It's like a TDI, you don't accidentally buy a TDI lol. You bought it because you specifically wanted it.

It VW's sign and drive events killing the comradary? Lol. I know when I ride with my brother in his WRX, every Subi with a hood scoop waves.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:14 PM   #80
PouncingPanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechRoss View Post
I had a different experience the other day, rush hour freeway traffic so just cruising. Saw the WRX doing the crazy zig zag in out traffic thing in the mirror. When he got next to me, wound down the window, biggest grin I have ever seen, and a big thumbs up. Then dropped back and drove like everybody else. Maybe wanted to see what the GTI with the big rear spoiler was.
Hell yea! See, cross brand recognition is even better imo. Makes us VW guys look like tough guys lol.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #81
PouncingPanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post
Well, coming from a ZL1 Camaro, there were more waves from fellow Camaro owners which I participated in (also owned a C5 Vette where the wave is common practice). Now as I have an R as my daily diver, have not noticed the waves here in FL from the GTI/R crowd. I did try the wave a few times I spotted a GTI across from me but did not receive a response - not even sure the other driver spotted me. One thing is that just about every GTI/R I have noticed has dark tints (a must here in FL) and it makes it much more difficult to actually see inside another car across the way......so I may be guilty of being a "tough guy" and not waving at times as I never saw it.
Yea, I often wonder if the other guys could even see my face through my tint lol.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #82
ElectricEye

Drives: '15 MK7 Reflex Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsrvr View Post
I'd wave too, or at least would have back when that bus was newer...I'm married now Btw, is that girl your daughter? Because if it's your daughter, then never mind about all that waving stuff
Ha! Ha!
No, not my daughter - I'm married too.
Just an image I found on Pinterest.
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #83
ashchuckton

Drives: VW GTI
I'm wavin at you.....

ashchuckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #84
Festivus

Drives: 2016 GTI PP LP DSG
Decades ago when I had a Corvette, vette drivers would always wave at each other. The cars were distinctive enough that they were easily spotted, so that tended to make the drivers very aware of other vettes they ran across.

I haven't done any waving in the GTI, and haven't really noticed it as a "thang" from other drivers. This is probably because I am largely oblivious to the existence of other GTI's - the car isn't distinctive-looking enough for me to readily pick them out on the highway. Driving around in our part of the country, there is an absolute swarm of roughly similar-looking small hatchback like cars, and unless I am close enough to see the badges they are pretty much indistinguishable to me.
Festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #85
BlueHen

Drives: 2015 GSW TDI; 2011 BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
Hell yea! See, cross brand recognition is even better imo. Makes us VW guys look like tough guys lol.
I especially enjoy cross-brand complementing. I ran into a kid in the parking lot of a diner in my hometown who had bought a Veloster Turbo. This was a few years back when I had my Focus ST. He immediately came over as I pulled up and told me "nice car", etc. I could have been a dick and said, "hey thanks" and walked in. Instead, after doing show and tell of my Stage 3 ST, I had him take me over to his car (I hate Veloster Turbos , but this kid deserved some ego-stroking) and I ooh'ed and ah'ed over it. I hope it made his day, as it really looked like his pride and joy, and I assume he had a sizable chunk of his young paycheck going toward it. I figure it's better to spread good vibes any time of the day than be like a typical BMW driver, if you know what I mean.