GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

View Poll Results: Tough guy or waver?
Tough Guy 58 20.35%
Waver 227 79.65%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #18
Jay745

Drives: K04 mk6 gti, mk5 rabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs24 View Post
A new moderator appears......
heh hey there. Guess I should have introduced myself on mk7. I've been a mod on golfmkv and golfmk6 for a while, a lot of you guys that have been around a while know me.

Hit me up for Vagcom or DSG Service in Chicago (Cheaper than dealer/indie)
Jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:59 PM   #19
PouncingPanzer

Drives: White '17 GTI Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsrvr View Post
I'm a waver, always. Usually just flash the "Peace" symbol, sometimes tap my horn. Always worth it for the times I get back a toothy grin, wave or horn. I think sometimes the reason GTI/R drivers don't respond is they are pre-occupied with thoughts, like, where their next turn is, getting someplace on time, how much they hate their boss, what's for lunch or dinner, or a zillion other things, so by the time your wave registers, your both 2 blocks past each other.

Of course, there is always the Tough Guy syndrome, that prevents the expressing of ANY emotion, whatsoever, at ANY time, except anger and violence...and THAT's one sad-ass disease to have.
I can understand being distracted or lost in a thought. I have Forza/Gran Turismo vision and I visibly see apexes, it can be very distracting. So I understand that point of view.

Sometimes I might miss some waves and the other person thinks I'm a tough guy? Lol.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:01 PM   #20
PouncingPanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirspiffycliff View Post
I always chuck a deuce. I usually get a wave back or a smile. However, I've noticed that most generations outside the Mk7 don't wave. Except for the cool guy in the Blue Mk5 R32.
There is always that one cool guy in a blue Mk5 R32. Always. My area has one even.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:03 PM   #21
Diggs24

Drives: 2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay745 View Post
heh hey there. Guess I should have introduced myself on mk7. I've been a mod on golfmkv and golfmk6 for a while, a lot of you guys that have been around a while know me.
Glad to see more than 1 around (not that he doesn't do a good job).
Diggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #22
gameaud

Drives: GTI SE PP
Had a guy in a focus st wave at me when he went past me when I was at a stop. Coming from a beater car I was confuse and did not wave back. Now I feel bad lol
gameaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #23
PouncingPanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE View Post
There's only like 2 people that own a gti in my town and ones a younger guy like me..we always see each other and talk and do a few pulls out in the country where there's no speed limit. They other is an older lady and she waves at me every time! I love seeing her she looks so excited driving hers around and seeing another gti lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
She is staying young!
Old 03-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #24
Obsrvr

Drives: '16 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
I can understand being distracted or lost in a thought. I have Forza/Gran Turismo vision and I visibly see apexes, it can be very distracting. So I understand that point of view.

Sometimes I might miss some waves and the other person thinks I'm a tough guy? Lol.
true, when your in "race mode", you do miss other things. Guess we all do that- moody humans, easy to get the wrong impression from the other person. Misunderstandings are the bane of humanity- have caused wars, with thousands or millions killed...so, VW owners must try to signal each other, or risk extinction!!
Obsrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #25
PouncingPanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsrvr View Post
true, when your in "race mode", you do miss other things. Guess we all do that- moody humans, easy to get the wrong impression from the other person. Misunderstandings are the bane of humanity- have caused wars, with thousands or millions killed...so, VW owners must try to signal each other, or risk extinction!!
This is the material I was hoping this thread would spawn. Lol.

You couldn't be more correct, misunderstandings can be dangerous, fatal even. But, I think the worse case scenario here is I add your license plate number to my "tough guy" list and try to remember not to wave. But, I usually don't remember and they get a deuces again. I am met with disappointment again.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #26
Sherifftruman

Drives: 2017 Golf Sportwagen
Interesting. I didn't know VW drivers would wave. I traded a MINI and we used to wave all the time, though the last few years lots of new drivers stopped. My wife has a Jeep and they all wave. I haven't seen anyone wave at me yet but maybe I'll start.
Sherifftruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #27
BlueHen

Drives: 2015 GSW TDI; 2011 BMW 335d
To Sherifftruman, yes. Not doing the Jeep wave can get you hurt - lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
I give the wave/two finger lift to every GTI that's modded. There's just too many non-enthusiasts out there to acknowledge every one with a GTI, but if they are clearly modded, chances are really high/near guaranteed they are an enthusiast of some kind.
This is truth. I was at the car wash in my 4Runner (yes, I put it through car washes, but not my GTI) a few weeks back. A Mk6 GTI was behind me, Jersey plates. We both got out of our cars to throw some trash in the barrel. I told the guy I had recently bought a Mk7 GTI and loved it. You'd have thought I was asking the guy to buy a magazine subscription. He couldn't get away fast enough. Not a car person I guess.

I've noticed that GTI drivers are pretty offish as a group. However, my "Oh Snap" license plate usually gets some attention from them if they approach me from behind. It also appears to be Honda bait. Also Camry with loud CBE bait - true story!
Old 03-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #28
Gogo GTI

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
When I was in the air-cooled VW scene with my Ghia, my brethren were deep. Always, waving, beeping, chats at stop lights, etc.

With the GTI, I'm not feeling the love. It seems like the vast majority of MK7 GTIs I see in the Bay Area are treated in a strictly practical and utilitarian way. Most drivers tend to be on the "matured" end of the age spectrum. People out here don't seem to be into modding them. It's rare to even see any with tinted windows. So to me that gives the impression that these GTI owners don't care about what car you drive or even what car they are driving themselves. That being said, I've seen a fair share of modded MK5's and MK6's but I've never seen a modded MK7 on the road.

It's a shame. Because I'm definitely a nodder and a honker.
Gogo GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #29
njswider

Drives: MK7 R DSG
I usually dont initiate a wave but if someone else does, I'd have no issue waving back. Had a mk6 for three years and now mk7 for a few months and I've maybe received two waves in all that time. I just didn't think it was a GTI thing, if anything i thought there was just the Wrangler wave and thats it. Being in a heavily populated area I see GTIs every day and no one waves haha.. just this morning three of us were in a row driving together for the commute. I like to think that we tend to drive together though.
njswider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:51 PM   #30
ElectricEye

Drives: '15 MK7 Reflex Silver
I'd certainly wave back, but I wouldn't initiate.
I have given a "nice car" and point when it was obvious that I and another GTI driver were looking at each others cars.
But yeah, I'm surprised at the near complete lack of camaraderie of other GTI drivers.
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 PM   #31
Gogo GTI

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Apropos, I was driving the twisties up in the Berkeley hills over the weekend, (not too aggressively since I had my wife and four year old with me) and this white MK7 GTI comes rolling up my ass. So I pick up the pace a bit to play a little, then I soon pull over since he obviously wants to get on with emulating Mario Andretti. He then just blows past me without even a honk or a wave! I expect I would get more from a Honda driver.

So if Mr. White MK7 GTI driver is on here, you sir are a douche.
Gogo GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:55 PM   #32
BlueHen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'd certainly wave back, but I wouldn't initiate.
I have given a "nice car" and point when it was obvious that I and another GTI driver were looking at each others cars.
But yeah, I'm surprised at the near complete lack of camaraderie of other GTI drivers.
I would wave at the girl in your signature.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #33
PouncingPanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHen View Post
To Sherifftruman, yes. Not doing the Jeep wave can get you hurt - lol.

This is truth. I was at the car wash in my 4Runner (yes, I put it through car washes, but not my GTI) a few weeks back. A Mk6 GTI was behind me, Jersey plates. We both got out of our cars to throw some trash in the barrel. I told the guy I had recently bought a Mk7 GTI and loved it. You'd have thought I was asking the guy to buy a magazine subscription. He couldn't get away fast enough. Not a car person I guess.

I've noticed that GTI drivers are pretty offish as a group. However, my "Oh Snap" license plate usually gets some attention from them if they approach me from behind. It also appears to be Honda bait. Also Camry with loud CBE bait - true story!
Not a car guy, at all. He knew he was about to get involved in a conversation he had zero ammo for lol. Also, a GTI at a meat grinder? Red flag!!!!
Old 03-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #34
BlueHen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogo GTI View Post
Apropos, I was driving the twisties up in the Berkeley hills over the weekend, (not too aggressively since I had my wife and four year old with me) and this white MK7 GTI comes rolling up my ass. So I pick up the pace a bit to play a little, then I soon pull over since he obviously wants to get on with emulating Mario Andretti. He then just blows past me without even a honk or a wave! I expect I would get more from a Honda driver.

So if Mr. White MK7 GTI driver is on here, you sir are a douche.
I was in Berkeley Hills this weekend, and some guy and his family..

...oh wait. Nevermind.