GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Golf R owner

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
In re the Soundaktor, I don't really notice it because the road noise from the crappy stock tires I still have on it for the summer is so loud.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
In re the Soundaktor, I don't really notice it because the road noise from the crappy stock tires I still have on it for the summer is so loud.
Yeah, a lot of reviews noted how quiet the R was but I find the Pirelli P Zero tires to be quite noisy and tend to overwhelm the Soundaktor.

Coming from traditional muscle cars (Mustang GT, Camaro Z28 and a C6 Corvette with a better exhaust) I like to hear the sound of the engine/exhaust and, though clearly enhanced, I like the Soundaktor compared to not (plenty of YouTube videos with before/after comparisons).

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Yeah, a lot of reviews noted how quiet the R was but I find the Pirelli P Zero tires to be quite noisy and tend to overwhelm the Soundaktor.

Coming from traditional muscle cars (Mustang GT, Camaro Z28 and a C6 Corvette with a better exhaust) I like to hear the sound of the engine/exhaust and, though clearly enhanced, I like the Soundaktor compared to not (plenty of YouTube videos with before/after comparisons).

Maybe because mine came with Continental Contisport contacts I don't have the tire noise issue. Did not know some came with Pirelli tires.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Maybe because mine came with Continental Contisport contacts I don't have the tire noise issue. Did not know some came with Pirelli tires.
There's a "what tires came with your car" thread on VWVortex shows a lot of them came with P Zero but a lot also came with Contis.

Varinn

Passed Driver's Ed
My car has the Conti tires and I quite like them. Not sure yet how they are for raw performance but I've had them in rain and sun with some hard driving and mostly commuting. I like them so far, I find this car to be very quiet but I do remember a test drive last year and being dumbfounded by how loud the car was. Thinking on it now I bet that test drive had the pirelli set as it had a noise far above what mine does when rolling.

I hit the end of break-in today and finally get to open it up proper. Still working on getting my invite to the big track day at an exclusive one near me, hoping to get there end of the month.

My two biggest issues so far:
The paint gets dirty FAST
Brake dust. So. Much. Brake dust.

shuxleyct

I love the Tornado Red. I have the Conti summer tires and also a set of winter wheels/tires. I don’t have much road noise that I’m aware of, but all my cars have had HP tires in the summer, so I might not notice. Studded tires do make noise, but they’re a necessary evil.
Enjoy your new toy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Summons

Congrats on the fantastic ride!!

I hated the soundactor, but to each their own! I shut it off ASAP, and found the car seemed so much more sophisticated! That wouldn't do, so I went out and got OBD Eleven to open the exhaust valves! A nice deeper growl from the engine, and all is good! My wife complains about it (not enough for me to change anything) and/also/but the noise on the highway while slightly droney doesn't bother me, and she hasn't noticed that change!
Plus, if you go out and get yourself the OBD Eleven tool, it's a quick (zero credit) change back and forth anyways. $154.17 CDN delivered in a couple days from the big A.
Well worth it for the other changes you can effect - windows open/closed off the key fob for one, little safety things like Scandinavian DRLs, niceties lime fan speed when in auto, Driving school or Off Road info on the display...
Oh,and you can diagnose faults too! ?

Congrats again!
E

Varinn

Passed Driver's Ed
Your sales pitch comes too late :p

I've been planning to order obd11 for a while already, the fiancée just politely asked I wait until after our wedding this weekend.

I find myself staring at possible mods still, nothing really for performance just stuff to add to driving enjoyment and overall creature comfort. Folding mirrors with auto dip reverse, Euro tails, intake for a bit more sound from up front.

We'll see how it all goes down the line!

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I've been planning to order obd11 for a while already, the fiancée just politely asked I wait until after our wedding this weekend.
You should at least ORDER it anyway. Some forum members have stated it took a long time to arrive for them though mine showed up in less than a week. So you might as well hedge your bets by ordering it now and letting it arrive in its own sweet time. Your fiancee will never notice!