GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exactly what setting to shut off engine?

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Yes I am assuming it has something to do with the Start/Stop. The manual does say that even if you do have Start/Stop ENABLED, the car will NOT shut off at stop lights, etc. if certain conditions warrant to keep engine running (like low battery voltage, High temps that need to keep AC running, etc).

That I understand.

But I run in Custom mode all the time and in S mode, which disables Start/Stop automatically.

If it was 100% consistent I would say its a feature, but sometimes I put it in park on same day, same conditions and it does not shut off, sometimes it does. Can't figure out the algorithm or pattern. Not a big deal, just wondered if it is normal.

Hard to tell if its right or some software bug.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
If it was 100% consistent I would say its a feature, but sometimes I put it in park on same day, same conditions and it does not shut off, sometimes it does. Can't figure out the algorithm or pattern. Not a big deal, just wondered if it is normal.

Hard to tell if its right or some software bug.
Pretty much my point for which I've been shot down consistently here. Definitely not a big deal. I don't think shutting off the engine in Park is normal. Seems like it's tied in to Start/Stop which is fine but I'd like to know that's actually true and I'd like it to NOT shut off the engine at all if I have specifically disabled that function. Yet it does sometimes for at least two of us.

Keep paying attention and see if you can determine the pattern and/or settings that actually affect this definitively.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
I'm coming late to this party(?), but wanted to say that I have noticed that whenever I change driving modes on my MY18 Mk7.5R (I'm usually driving in Individual, with brief excursions to Race and then back to Individual) I've noticed that Stop/Start has re-activated itself (I always turn the damned thing off as soon I start the engine on every journey). Is this possibly a factor ?

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
I noticed this the first day I had my car and didn't think much of it, really. It seemed odd, but I've only noticed it a few times, probably because I'm in the habit of pushing my button whenever I wish to shut off the car whether the engine is running or not.

I think it's a safety feature, designed to prevent people from THINKING they shut the car off when they have not. When it sees a certain set of parameters (appears to be stop/start has already shut the engine off, or perhaps is within a certain range of when it will [AC almost down to temp or whatever] and is THEN put into Park), it goes ahead and treats it as if you have pressed the button to avoid the possibility of you believing it has been shut off, going about your business, and then having it restart while sitting in your closed garage or anywhere else inappropriate.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
I did a couple of runs today. I experimented that after I came to a stop I waited like 3 seconds and then put it in park. It did not shut off engine.

However today was hot and AC was running. Will try some more tests tomorrow with AC off.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion

adam1991

Banned
At least he was able to be clear on the various conditions and actions taken and in which order, unlike some people here.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
He was clear because he could duplicate the issue. The OP couldn't pinpoint the variable that caused the different outcomes. So of course he couldn't be clear. That's what he was here asking about.

That link is a good lead to try to duplicate the issue (or non issue depending on your POV)