GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs. C7 Z06 - It's all about the driver!

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Was on my way home from the Phillies game with the wife and as we were coming onto the PA turnpike I was behind a new C7 Z06. I was in second gear and we both shot over to the left lane as no one was coming. I hit it and he hit it (I saw his back end drop and the exhaust started to scream). I stayed right with him through second and third and then I freaking missed fourth!

My wife couldn't believe I kept up with him. I thought it might have been a Grand Sport, but he slowed down and when I get next to him, sure enough, it was a Z06, driven by what would have looked like my father - early 70's with a full gray beard. He gave me the thumbs up and I did the same.

Basically, he should have roasted me. It all comes down to the driver. My father had a C6 Z06 and I know for a fact that he would have had a hard time beating me in my 2001 Boxster when I had it.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Was it a manual with a slow driver? If it was an auto, i'm sorry but he wasn't fully in it.

My IS38 on E30 is a complete turd compared to my buddy's stock automagic C7Z. We've never raced (there would be no point), but i've spent some time in the passenger's seat and without a doubt he would drive away from me at a rate that would be disheartening.

I have a strong IS38 and the cars aren't in the same league.

A stock C7Z would outrun most of the big turbo MK7s. They're mid-low 7s 60-130 and close to 130mph traps stock. Only a few big turbo MQBs have run those numbers.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Was it a manual with a slow driver? If it was an auto, i'm sorry but he wasn't fully in it.

My IS38 on E30 is a complete turd compared to my buddy's stock automagic C7Z. We've never raced (there would be no point), but i've spent some time in the passenger's seat and without a doubt he would drive away from me at a rate that would be disheartening.

I have a strong IS38 and the cars aren't in the same league.

A stock C7Z would outrun most of the big turbo MK7s. They're mid-low 7s 60-130 and close to 130mph traps stock. Only a few big turbo MQBs have run those numbers.
There is a guy here with a boosted nismo 370z automatic that be a guy with a c7 from a dig. Granted it wasn't a zo6 but I was still surprised, the nismo only dynoed at 390 here on the same dyno I dynoed at 397. I never got to race the z because he threw a rod through the side of the block a couple days later.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
There is a guy here with a boosted nismo 370z automatic that be a guy with a c7 from a dig. Granted it wasn't a zo6 but I was still surprised, the nismo only dynoed at 390 here on the same dyno I dynoed at 397. I never got to race the z because he threw a rod through the side of the block a couple days later.

We've had a stock C7 and a stock C7Z (both auto) on the same dyno. The C7 made 411whp and the C7Z made 540whp.

It's a dig difference...like 10mph in trap speed. Thats the difference between a stage 1 GTI and an IS38 FBO GTI. Different leagues.

I'm not calling the OP a liar...all sorts of illogical shit happens on the street.

Let's just say results not typical. ;)

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
Was on my way home from the Phillies game with the wife and as we were coming onto the PA turnpike I was behind a new C7 Z06. I was in second gear and we both shot over to the left lane as no one was coming. I hit it and he hit it (I saw his back end drop and the exhaust started to scream). I stayed right with him through second and third and then I freaking missed fourth!

My wife couldn't believe I kept up with him. I thought it might have been a Grand Sport, but he slowed down and when I get next to him, sure enough, it was a Z06, driven by what would have looked like my father - early 70's with a full gray beard. He gave me the thumbs up and I did the same.

Basically, he should have roasted me. It all comes down to the driver. My father had a C6 Z06 and I know for a fact that he would have had a hard time beating me in my 2001 Boxster when I had it.

Agreed with Hoon. You most likely had a decent jump on him or else he would've put a walmart length on you

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Ditto on Hoon and Ian. Our mk7s are fantastic lil machines. 2 liter motor with a turbo able to beat or keep up with some fairly impressive cars. Racing bolt coyote stangs, modded evos ae fairly stock c7 corvette is one thing, but when you get into the realm of 650+ hp cars, you either dump bunch of money into a built block BIG turbo setup, weight reduction-full on race car..... or just tip your hat and know it is what it is lol. C7Z is no joke.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
130 traps on this platform requires 500-530whp. Not impossible, just implausible.

My is38 did indeed haul ass though. I did some major damage to a lot more powerful cars.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Believe me, I'm well aware of what a C7 Z06 can do. That's the reason I posted it's all about the driver in the first place. He should have pulled busses on me, but he didn't.
If he would have pulled busses on me, I would have gladly posted it. It's what I should have been posting.

As Hoon had said, illogical shit happens on the street all the time.

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
Former vette owner...never had a c7, but a very strong c6 gs with cam, headers, tune,530 at the wheels etc...would be hard pressed to see any 4 banger stay up with my car...consistently blew away ferraris and lambos, even modded ones. Vettes are easy hp too...engines last forever.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
these threads crack me up

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
I'm not calling the OP a liar...all sorts of illogical shit happens on the street.

Let's just say results not typical. ;)

Exactly.

It doesn't take any skill to drive a fast car slow. Given equal drivers, that Z06 is going to put bus lengths on a Mk7. They run sub 11 second quarters with the auto(or a well driven manual).

Wonder if it was a regular C7 that had been "badge modified" to be a Z06.....

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
If I owned a $100k cop magnet with $400 tires, I'd be really selective about who I'd show off to. Boy racers need not apply :)

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I'd race a damn Yaris if it wanted some!
Lmao me to just in my genetic DNA