GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R shuts off when putting in Park

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
My new 2018 R with 500 miles on it.

I tried to look in the manual to see if this is a feature or I am missing something.

When I pull into a parking space or driveway and quickly shove car into park, the engine shuts off by itself without me having to hit the Start/Stop Button. Then when I open door, the car shuts off and puts on parking brake.

It is cool, but is this normal?

There are times when I pull in, wait a second or 2 and then put it in park and then it stays running until I hit start/stop button.

Seems to be the quickness with which I throw it into Park. Still trying to figure out the pattern.

Does anyone else have this happen?

Sean

adam1991

Banned
As you point out, the *car* isn't shutting off when you put it in Park. The engine is.

Then the car overall shuts off--just like you turning it off--when you open the door. And as a consequence of the car shutting off, it puts on the parking brake. (It will do that regardless of what mechanism shuts the car off--the automatic mechanism or you pushing the button.)

Normal.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Yes, this has happened to someone else and you can read this thread here to see how it got "discussed" in this forum:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41053

Apparently the car can and will shut off when shifting to Park but the exact reason is not yet known (nor definitively explained/documented) and since it's rare (at least no one else is admitting to it) I don't think it can be tossed aside as "normal."

I will add to the previous discussion that it has not done this in several weeks in my car as I have been driving in Custom rather than Race so there must be a setting that changed the behavior but it's unknown to me (or anyone else here) what that setting is but it's clearly been affected by switching to Custom instead.

Welcome to the forum, congratulations on the new car and good luck here in this forum!

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
This feature is kind of confusing.

When the car shuts off by itself can one tell for certain that the car is definitely OFF? I wouldn't want my future dd left ON even though it appears the car is off.

adam1991

Banned

When the car shuts off by itself can one tell for certain that the car is definitely OFF? I wouldn't want my future dd left ON even though it appears the car is off.

Hybrids by their very nature are like this, and from the beginning have solved that problem by telling you the *system* status somewhere with a dash light.

If the system is "ready" then "the ignition is on" (even though there's no engine turning).

VW needs to do this. Hell, VW also needs to alert you via a dash light when the headlights are on--just like so many other cars on the road today.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion

It's apparent to me that, if you stop the car, put it in Park (and the engine does not go off), open the door and get out, the engine and car shut completely off as the key FOB exits the car which is indicated by the dash showing the door open and the travel stats which it shows when you DO shut the car off. So the dash is showing you the car is off.

Nowhere though does it say the engine shuts off in Park and I have specifically set the car up so that the engine should not shut off (deactivate Start/Stop or put it in Race mode, both of which should disable that feature) and the car can and does shut off when simply shifting to Park. But not always. As I noted above, I've been in Custom for the last few weeks and it has not shut off the engine when shifting to Park.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Thanks guys, I need to read up more on this. I would like to shut the car off manually, not when I place in Park or open the door.

Because one of these days I'm going to forget to really shut the car down when I'm in a rush or something.

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
Hell, VW also needs to alert you via a dash light when the headlights are on--just like so many other cars on the road today.

Just glance at the switch...

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
I figured it might be part of stop/start but seems inconsistent. If I pull into a space really quickly and shove into park it shuts off engine. Then when I open door, electronics shut off and parking brake engages. I don't mine this at all, but sometimes it does not do it and I have to use the Start/Stop button. I'm going to do some more tests, but it seems if I pull in, wait a few seconds and then put in Park it does not shut off engine.

I scoured the manual and it is not mentioned anywhere it should do this.

I can get used to it but it is weird how its not 100%. I mean how does it know I am not just at an ATM or something and don't want the engine off.

Oh, and I am in Race mode or Custom Mode or S mode, so the Start/Stop feature is disabled. That's why I was questioning whether it was part of that system.

Sean

adam1991

Banned
Just glance at the switch...

Doesn't work when you have and use auto headlights. Need to have a light on the dash, in the line of sight, that can quickly tell you if the auto function has turned the headlights on or not. This is useful in iffy conditions.

adam1991

Banned
I figured it might be part of stop/start but seems inconsistent. If I pull into a space really quickly and shove into park it shuts off engine. Then when I open door, electronics shut off and parking brake engages. I don't mine this at all, but sometimes it does not do it and I have to use the Start/Stop button. I'm going to do some more tests, but it seems if I pull in, wait a few seconds and then put in Park it does not shut off engine.

I scoured the manual and it is not mentioned anywhere it should do this.

I can get used to it but it is weird how its not 100%. I mean how does it know I am not just at an ATM or something and don't want the engine off.

I'd ask the dealer and VW, and frame it in a legal sense so you get an answer. The worry should be, how do you know it won't simply shut off while you're driving on the road? Random behavior is random. Gee, VW, I don't feel safe driving this car...