GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP! Accidentally used synthetic blend..

eickhoffj11

Passed Driver's Ed
Showed my girlfriend exactly the right oil to use for her car (Castrol full synthetic 5w40) and had her take a picture of it.

Her father instead used Pennzoil synthetic BLEND 5w40... I would never use the wrong oil in my car but I'm wondering how much damage if any this could do to hers.

Her car is a 2015 Jetta TSI 1.8T

Thanks in advance!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Showed my girlfriend exactly the right oil to use for her car (Castrol full synthetic 5w40) and had her take a picture of it.

Her father instead used Pennzoil synthetic BLEND 5w40... I would never use the wrong oil in my car but I'm wondering how much damage if any this could do to hers.

Her car is a 2015 Jetta TSI 1.8T

Thanks in advance!

Castrol is NOT full synthetic, it's about 50%. READ the labeling on the Pennzoil to see if it's VW approved. That's all that matters. Helpful to know what country you are in.

Last edited:

Hoon

Autocross Champion
It's not going to do any damage, just shorten the oil change interval to a few thousand miles this time. It's fine.

Also, Castrol and other class III synthetics cannot even be legally sold as synthetic in most other countries. It's not "real" synthetic oil.

adam1991

Banned
what Fed said. If it meets VW spec for the car, there's no need to panic, worry, change the oil out, any of that.

eickhoffj11

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks. I'm going to check if it's 502 approved.

I use Pennzoil Platinum Euro Sythetic 5w40 in my GTI. I think that's a group IV but I'm not sure.

Any opinions on that oil? Also if anyone has preferences feel free to throw them out there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

eickhoffj11

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow just found out this is what my girls dad put in her jetta. Should I change it tonight? Lol her car calls for 5w40 and 502 approved obviously. Not seeing that at all on this Cam2 10w30 synthetic blend..

adam1991

Banned
The owner's manual speaks to this; in an emergency, use a good quality oil--but change it at the first opportunity.

So yeah, change it. From the bottom. Let it drain out.

Spend a couple extra bucks and do it again a week later...

eickhoffj11

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys. Changing it tomorrow for sure. That must be some dollar general spec oil. Apparently he uses it in his Chevy cruze turbo. Not sure how it still runs.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Imho it won't cause damage, except in really ridiculously extreme conditions which you're unlikely to reach. Possible consequence would mainly be the service detection will be miscalibrated if you're on a long service interval.

All that said, oil is cheap, swap it if you are worried.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I would be more concerned about the viscosity of the oil than the brand at this point. I would change it for the correct oil, you will sleep better at night.