GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about Axles and Bolts

Go68Fastback

Ready to race!
!!! HELP !!!

Ok guys, now I'm really confused :confused:

Everybody is talking about this and that bolt and the other screw :eek:

I was ready to replace my springs in a VW tuning shop of course, acctually I have an appointment for this saturday but now I'm afraid the let my car without the knowing what to ask to the mechanic or knowing if they will replace the required bolts.

I read this complette thread like three times, I'm not technically savvy as much of you guys in this forum. So can somebody put like I'm a 5 years old kid a list of every single bold I should supply and request my mechanic to replace and where to buy it, and also if is posible the required torque of each one.

Thanks a lot for this great info, you guys are the absolutly best :)

BJJGTI

Ready to race!
Ok guys, now I'm really confused :confused:

Everybody is talking about this and that bolt and the other screw :eek:

I was ready to replace my springs in a VW tuning shop of course, acctually I have an appointment for this saturday but now I'm afraid the let my car without the knowing what to ask to the mechanic or knowing if they will replace the required bolts.

I read this complette thread like three times, I'm not technically savvy as much of you guys in this forum. So can somebody put like I'm a 5 years old kid a list of every single bold I should supply and request my mechanic to replace and where to buy it, and also if is posible the required torque of each one.

Thanks a lot for this great info, you guys are the absolutly best :)

So here is the low down. No one but the dealership will probably do it but basically every bolt that they take out they need to replace with a new one (including the nut). That is the recommendation of the VW tech manual.

Having said that I would be willing to bet that almost no one on this forum has done that. The risk that something bad could happen is probably small but it exists.

If you want to do it 100% right you should go to the dealership and have them do it to VW specs. That will be very expensive.

Second best option is to go to your dealership parts department and tell them what you are doing. They will get you a pacakge of replacement hardware. You then can take that to a shop and watch them do it. Give them the video above which has torque specs.

You can also buy the hardware on on line for a bit cheaper but you may struggle a bit to get all the right parts.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Having said that I would be willing to bet that almost no one on this forum has done that. The risk that something bad could happen is probably small but it exists.

I have, but on the 80+ installs I've done now....I've just narrowed it down to the strut bolts & struts bearings that need to be replaced, especially on a newer car like the MK7.
And axle bolts, if you're pulling those (which I don't do)

If the car has higher miles, I might replace other parts though too....depends on each car/circumstances.

BJJGTI

Ready to race!
Just pulled and replaced the bolts to torque specs. All the used bolts looked good and a quick check of several showed none were necked down against a straight edge. Although there are obviously changes to the bolts that can't be visually identified, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep if you reused the bolts once.

Pyramid Head

Ready to race!
I just had my appointment at the dealer to replace every bolt I had to remove during spring install. Since I supplied the hardware, he charged me an hour of labor which was like $105. This tech is always really cool about my mods and talked about what he's done to his GLI. He did say he had to replace a turbo on an mk7 GTI already and the guy was tuned and they couldn't cover it under warranty. He wanted to help the guy but he had no choice but to send data logs into VW. Said the guy did NOT re flash before coming in.

Anyway, I have total piece of mind that my bolts are all replaced :)

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Ok.

So going to order the following

Front
12x Inner axle bolt N90991102
2x Outer axle bolt WHT005437
2x Pinch bolt N90954802
2x Strut lock nut N10106402
2x Strut bearing

Back
Looks like nothing needs too be replaced. Please advise if otherwise.

Edit: pretty sure it is the same but is this the same for TSI as well. Just asking because on DAP, shows these are only compatible with GTI and R

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Anyone?

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed