GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Regional Forums > UNITED KINGDOM

Old 05-16-2018, 08:23 PM   #1
mrpbailey

Drives: Golf GTD Mk7
Spare key

Hi all, first post in here.
We have a 2015 GTD which only came with 1 key. Are there any options other than main dealer for a spare?
Haven't yet contacted the local dealer but cant imagine it will be cheap. Has anybody had one recently?

Thanks
mrpbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #2
Mikeyd1

Drives: 2018 mk7.5 1.4 tsi
Hazzydayz.com I don't no if it's any cheaper tho
Mikeyd1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
bertj

Drives: VW Golf Mk.7 tdi DSG 150bhp Match
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpbailey View Post
Hi all, first post in here.
We have a 2015 GTD which only came with 1 key. Are there any options other than main dealer for a spare?
Not wanting to be a total pessimist but you really need to know what happened to the other key. Have you just bought the car? If not, the chances of someone using the missing key will probably have been reduced if you've had the car for some time.
A new key will be very expensive but not as expensive as having the car stolen! An even more expensive option would be to have the car re-coded with two new keys but at least you would have peace of mind.
AFAIK you can only get a replacement key from a VW dealer because of security considerations - probably about 200.
bertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
afropelican

Drives: Golf Mk7 105PS Hatchback
Never done this with VW, but I don't see why not: in previous cars with only 1 key, I have bought a used key for the same model of car then got a new shell/ uncut blade and transferred the guts over from the old key to the new shell. I took this key to get physically cut from a locksmith to match the existing car key. And then got it reprogrammed by the dealers.
afropelican is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:17 PM   #5
pcr

Drives: golf gt 1.4 act
You should at least bring this to the attention of whoever you bought the car from, it should have two keys.
pcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
Finglonga

Drives: Mk7 Golf GTI Performance
As said you really need to know where the other key is as if with a dealer they should give you two and if private you may wake up with an empty space where the car used to be.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #7
emz_98

Drives: VW Golf MK7 GT 1.4TSI 138bhp 103KW
If you want to get a new key I believe Timpson does these as well, probably cheaper then VW but if your worried about other people getting into your car (If someone has the other key) then get it all changed by VW. Will be pricey and more time consuming but if you're worried then it will keep you at peace.
emz_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:28 PM   #8
afropelican

Drives: Golf Mk7 105PS Hatchback
If its a Cat D or Auction car its normal for the second key to get sold on somewhere down the line for the purpose I mentioned earlier. So its unlikely someone will know which car it belongs to.

However if you bought it privately or even through dealers and its not been written off then I would be concerned about the whereabouts of the second key.
afropelican is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:13 AM   #9
Aesmidz

Drives: Mk7 GTD DSG Carbon Grey
Get a second key programmed at the dealer, and they will ensure your 2 keys will work, and any other keys are disabled
Aesmidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #10
Mike.B

Drives: MK7 Golf GTD
Took my GTD to Vertu VW Lincon last Thursday for a new second key as the spare was missing when I bought my Golf. It was at no cost to me but i asked how much it would have cost if I had to pay and they said a ballpark 150 / 200.

They had the car in the workshop for about half an hour and I think re programmed the car then my existing key and new key were programmed to match.
Mike.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #11
dervdave

Drives: Golf mk7 GTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.B View Post
Took my GTD to Vertu VW Lincon last Thursday for a new second key as the spare was missing when I bought my Golf. It was at no cost to me but i asked how much it would have cost if I had to pay and they said a ballpark 150 / 200.
I had to buy mine and it was 223
dervdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #12
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesmidz View Post
Get a second key programmed at the dealer, and they will ensure your 2 keys will work, and any other keys are disabled
^^^ This is exactly correct. You only need to buy one key. In the US they cost about $300 for the key, cutting it, and the programming.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #13
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by emz_98 View Post
If you want to get a new key I believe Timpson does these as well, probably cheaper then VW but if your worried about other people getting into your car (If someone has the other key) then get it all changed by VW. Will be pricey and more time consuming but if you're worried then it will keep you at peace.
In the US, ONLY a VW dealer can get you a new key fob and key. The key is cut at a central VW service depot, based on your VIN. They send it to the dealer for programming. And you need to prove you are you, and the car is yours before they will order you a new key, so if it's not in your name... I think they probably want to see the car first too. All to make sure you didn't steal the car or are trying to get a key made so you can steal it later or take it without the owner's permission. Kids or valets have been know to borrow a car, have a key made, then borrow or steal it when they're not around.

You might be able to buy a fob from eBay and have a new key made, but check with a VW dealer first. They might not do it, or program it unless you can prove you bought it from a VW dealer. And if the fob doesn't work, you could be out the money.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #14
FloridaNative

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
I think they probably want to see the car first too.
My dealer (USA) ordered the keys with just seeing the car's registration and my ID (you must be on registration obviously). The programming fee was the same no matter how many keys we ordered/had. Make sure to bring any and all keys (both new and old) with you when you get the keys programmed.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
FloridaNative is offline   Reply With Quote