GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

75 year old builds a 600bhp Golf R.

Abilor

Passed Driver's Ed
Holy Shit. I hope I'm still modding and tearing it up like this guy at 75 and beyond.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Looked like great falls green until seeing the end. Was too blue to be GFG.

Love when he started chasing that Astra VXR. Then just waves them off.

Btw, what turbo did he have on there?

MIKE PP.

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf R.
Looked like great falls green until seeing the end. Was too blue to be GFG.

Love when he started chasing that Astra VXR. Then just waves them off.

Btw, what turbo did he have on there?

He said that the turbo was a Turbo Technics prototype. I thought that they had stopped development of turbo chargers, but apparently not!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If you gents are looking for a hero among my peers -- i.e., septuagenarian gearheads -- IMHO you need look no further than Derek Spratt: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5936526-Building-the-Ultimate-1983-Rabbit-GTI-(vw-mk1).

Nice build but 100's of pages and the only real performance data is with a slipping clutch with slicks. He put the stock wheels and tires back on and there was no clutch slippage AND HE COULDN"T FIGURE OUT WHY? Are you kidding me? Not believing this guy did anything except write checks since he obviously doesn't know how a clutch works or what a high performance clutch is. To top it off, IT'S NOT A MK7.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
The Fed, no question, Derek Spratt's obsessed. He's been sorting out his Mk1 GTI for years (four at least by my count). But I posted the link because I'm impressed with the fact that he does the vast majority of his own work. In this regard, if you haven't done so, watch some of his early YouTube films in which he rebuilds the chassis and then paints his car. Several times. Moreover, he's not just a check-writer. Far from it. Half of the stuff he's fooled around over the years he imagined and then fabricated on his own. And, yes, I realize he's a Mk1 builder now linked by me to a Mk7 thread. It's the title of the thread that pulled me in on his behalf. Fellow septuagenarian.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Yep we have white front plates and yellow rear plates.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The Fed, no question, Derek Spratt's obsessed. He's been sorting out his Mk1 GTI for years (four at least by my count). But I posted the link because I'm impressed with the fact that he does the vast majority of his own work. In this regard, if you haven't done so, watch some of his early YouTube films in which he rebuilds the chassis and then paints his car. Several times. Moreover, he's not just a check-writer. Far from it. Half of the stuff he's fooled around over the years he imagined and then fabricated on his own. And, yes, I realize he's a Mk1 builder now linked by me to a Mk7 thread. It's the title of the thread that pulled me in on his behalf. Fellow septuagenarian.

Not saying it isn't a nice build, my only real complaint is if he installed a proper clutch...

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Good on him, I know guys in their 60's who race motorcycles of a weekend and are more than competitive against riders half their age and less :D.

"It isn't about how old you are, it's how you are old" :cool:....

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Good on him, I know guys in their 60's who race motorcycles of a weekend and are more than competitive against riders half their age and less :D.

"It isn't about how old you are, it's how you are old" :cool:....

You also tend to have a HELL OF A LOT MORE disposable income in your 60s and 70s than in your 20s-40s.