GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI 6MT Optimum Shift Points for Acceleration

dr1980

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone, I’m interested in hearing from people with a stock GTI what RPM points they usually shift at all the way up to 6th gear to optimize acceleration?

I’ve been paying more attention to shift patterns to try and maximize the amount of time I spend in the peak power bands but I feel like I’m leaving a lot of acceleration on the table. I feel like I can’t floor it in first with losing traction (probably a stock tire issue) so I try to get out of 1st ASAP when accelerating hard, but I suspect that’s impacting me.

I’ve got my shift points for smooth shifting figured out (either 2000 or 3500rpm from 1 to 2 etc), but now I want to figure out how to go as fast as possible off the line :)

Thanks for any input

Dave

Pikkagtr

Ready to race!
Are you looking for brisk acceleration or are you trying to go a fast as possible wot ?
Shift at where the tq drops off for optimum wot sprints
As far as brisk runs go everyday , my buddy shifts the car around 3k rpm
I do the same in my gti but it's a dsg I drive 99% in manual mode

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Something to think about..

The hardest part of MT for newbs is getting the initial engagement in 1st gear correct and consistent. You may have realized this already, but how you engage 1st gear from a standstill will affect how you shift into 2nd and 3rd gears.

So how high you rev in 1st or 2nd gears all depends on how you initially started off the line from a stop. If you did it correctly, chances are you wont have to rev 1st gear past 3500-4000 rpm and shift into 2nd gear without getting left in the dark by AT cars accelerating briskly next to you. If you consistently over slip 1st gear from a stand still trying to get more momentum off the line, you will prematurely wear out your clutch.

Also I personally do not follow the OBC's shift-up recommendation. Cruising an MT car in 5th or 6th gear down 1300-1500rpm is ridiculous especially for a torquey car like the GTI/Golf-R. That alone will burn out your clutch prematurely if you or the cruise control try to accelerate. Keep the RPM 2000 and above, no punching the gas below 4000rpm.

Last edited:

dr1980

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for that, Would you mind expanding a bit on optimum initial engagement of 1st gear? I think I do know what you mean in terms of having a long RPM “balloon” before first engages, that definitely adds time and can’t be great for the clutch.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Just bang the mofo through to about 1k before the redline. BE CAREFUL to not go right to the red line cos if you accidently go into the wrong gear as in moneyshift. you'll exceed the max engine speed and you can pretty much wave the engine bye bye... which is why its good to never go all the way to the redline when shifting a manual. one mishap which is easier to do than you might think, when all the adrenaline is going then the outcome could be very very bad

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for that, Would you mind expanding a bit on optimum initial engagement of 1st gear? I think I do know what you mean in terms of having a long RPM “balloon” before first engages, that definitely adds time and can’t be great for the clutch.

For brisk acceleration (not full throttle) on my Golf-R, I rev to about 2000rpm and gently engage the clutch while the rpm drops to about 1700-1800. I don't apply additional throttle at this point during the slip and just wait for the car to build momentum.. can take a good 2-2.5 sec, then clutch-out gently, open the throttle a little more to rev up, plateau the throttle by rolling off at 3500rpm, shift into 2nd gear gently with no slip.

As long as you don't apply additional throttle during the initial slip to build momentum you won't put much wear on your clutch. It's when one rides the clutch (a longish slip while applying additional throttle) that wears the clutch prematurely.

Now if you clutch out too soon during your initial slip thinking slipping is bad for the clutch, you bog the car and RPM drops even lower requiring you to open the throttle even more and rev higher 4000rpm+ into 2nd in order to keep up with the AT cars next to you. That is a bad take off and more work for your 2nd gear synchro, and harder for you to aim the smoother shift into 2nd gear as you built too much flywheel momentum.

Hope this makes sense.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
Just bang the mofo through to about 1k before the redline. BE CAREFUL to not go right to the red line cos if you accidently go into the wrong gear as in moneyshift. you'll exceed the max engine speed and you can pretty much wave the engine bye bye... which is why its good to never go all the way to the redline when shifting a manual. one mishap which is easier to do than you might think, when all the adrenaline is going then the outcome could be very very bad

How would that even happen between 1st and 2nd gear? There is no gear you can "money shift" into that would give you too high an RPM while accelerating. I have no idea how anyone can accidentally shift from 3rd to second either unless they are pull the shifter way to the left.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
Hi everyone, I’m interested in hearing from people with a stock GTI what RPM points they usually shift at all the way up to 6th gear to optimize acceleration?

I’ve been paying more attention to shift patterns to try and maximize the amount of time I spend in the peak power bands but I feel like I’m leaving a lot of acceleration on the table. I feel like I can’t floor it in first with losing traction (probably a stock tire issue) so I try to get out of 1st ASAP when accelerating hard, but I suspect that’s impacting me.

I’ve got my shift points for smooth shifting figured out (either 2000 or 3500rpm from 1 to 2 etc), but now I want to figure out how to go as fast as possible off the line :)

Thanks for any input

Dave

3500RPM in 1st is really low to shift out of. I normally take it up to around 5k RPM when driving briskly, I just don't floor it in 1st, pretty much ever. Give it like 3/4s throttle in 1st up to 4-5k RPM, then floor it into second.

JD-1

Ready to race!
I have no problem getting decent launches but the tall gearing makes shifting into 2nd gear feel so sluggish. Its like my shift doesn't want to go into position. Any advice on that? I know mechnically nothing is wrong but I can shift lightning quick form 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th but not 1st to 2nd

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
3500RPM in 1st is really low to shift out of. I normally take it up to around 5k RPM when driving briskly, I just don't floor it in 1st, pretty much ever. Give it like 3/4s throttle in 1st up to 4-5k RPM, then floor it into second.

Came to post this, but changed my mind. Figured GTI would be different than TSI, but this is the exact thing I do in my TSI.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
How would that even happen between 1st and 2nd gear? There is no gear you can "money shift" into that would give you too high an RPM while accelerating. I have no idea how anyone can accidentally shift from 3rd to second either unless they are pull the shifter way to the left.

You can easily do it going from 2nd to 3rd and accidently go into 1st. Or 4th into 5th and accidently hit 3rd. 99% of the time its not a problem. You're not on the red line, clutch in at the lurch and sound, correct the mishap and be on your way. Do it though when the car is already at 7k cos you're ringing the neck out of her, and if it happens then, you're in for an expensive repair, which is why its called a moneyshift. That is IMHO the only real advantage of having a DSG . Don't care for oooh its faster cos the launch control, or my clutch is stronger than yours. Yeah i know, but for what extra the DSG costs in maintenance and upfront cost, i'll rather have a RSR clutch. Anyway just a bit of advice for the OP, seeing that he's looking to get some best times. Careful on that moneyshift. Which can happen and will if you're not paying too much attention and going for it to the redline.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
To answer the original question, power starts to drop off at about 5500 rpm. That’s where you should shift for quickest acceleration.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Out of curiosity, I looked in the owner's manual (again) to see what was stated regarding shift points, etc. Interestingly enough, there not a word about engine rpm, choosing one gear over another, etc., in the two pages (i.e., next to nothing in other words) pertaining specifically to the MT (see pp. 241-242) in the OM. Stunning, actually. However, in the four pages devoted to "Saving fuel and helping the environment" (pp. 265-268), the OM states, in part, "[t]he higher gear is always the most efficient gear. The rule of thumb for most vehicles is to drive in 3rd gear at 20 mph, 4th gear at 25mph, 5th gear at 30 mph, and 6th gear at 36 mph."

Now, off the top of my head it strikes me that 36 mph in 6th gear would be well under 1500 rpm; maybe as low at 1300 rpm. I can't imagine driving that slowly in 6th gear. Occasionally, I've been under 1800 in 6th gear, but the road has to be absolutely flat to do so or it sounds to my ears as if the engine's on the verge of lugging. Too Green for me.